HybridZ

My First Z

I've been a 240sx enthusiast for a while now. Had two, one I did a lot of work to. Moving on to the 280z! Here she is...

front1.JPG

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

back.JPG

back2.JPG

engine1.JPG

dash1.JPG

seat.JPG

Plenty of work to be done, but I feel good about the starting point. Starting off with some slight alternator problems (barely made it home, dropped below 10V by the time I pulled into the driveway. Thank god it was a fully charged battery when I left.) Slight rust evenly distributed over most body parts (near the top of the list to be fixed). Want to glass in those subs so I regain some useable trunk space and dear lord I need the heater core to work (my feet are still cold from the drive last night).

I'm excited to get to work on her. It's been too long since I've been under the hood of a datsun/nissan. Big thanks to HybridZ for a kickass website and all the help (Got good info last time I did a MS installation on my 240sx). Look forward to a ton of opinions! :wink:

stereo.JPG

just fyi subs should be pointed towards the back for maximum bass from my experience

I'm not really happy with the box either. Fairly high on my todo list is to glass the subs in behind the fenders. Which is going to limit how I direct them anyway. Dealing with acoustic bounce in a car is a nightmare anyway you turn it really, but I do plan on facing them as much toward the rear as possible... Although, I think performance might be better facing sides from glassed housing than angled at the back window. At least then you do get some dispersal towards the front. If I get too concerned with it I'll make a mock up housing and play with placement.

I also plan on trying to find a new home for the cap and crossover... I'd really rather have a little trunk space and I think there's some other locations I could put those.

Top priority is the charging system problem. Tested out the alternator (it's the GM replacement/upgrade) and it's doing great. My guess is a wire fried between it and the battery. Fusible links are a mess and I've just decided to put in a AGU fused distro box to replace them. I'll probably end up replacing a lot of wiring too. Still digging stuff out at the moment while I wait on parts to arrive. I'm surprised the wiring didn't fry earlier considering the power ratings between the alt and bat. If I'm not mistaken, these upgraded gm alts go up to 120A (Summit version).

After that is fixing the heater core (or whatever is going wrong there). So the glassing work is getting a little bit delayed. Guess I could just turn the box around for right now...

Welcome, the fuse box is not very hard, if you have not seen the atlanticzcar write up just go to my build thread, I believe I linked it in on the 3rd page? 2nd or 3rd for sure just check it out, very easy to do, everything works better, stables idle and all. Also check the light switch for a charging issue ( I know random right) but the guage may not be working proper just because of this.