HybridZ

L-series Fireing Order (why?)

jc052685

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and set your firing order to whatever you want it to be, say, 1-2-3-4-5-6 and see how well your car runs, or 1-3-5-6-4-2, or any other combination that does not take into account the relative positions of the crankshaft journals.

No reason to get an attitude. I am fully aware that the crank will have some say in what the fireing order can be BUT it does not set the fireing order. That is the cams job, period.

No reason to get an attitude. I am fully aware that the crank will have some say in what the fireing order can be BUT it does not set the fireing order. That is the cams job, period.

Did you read the link? It is not the cam shaft but the crank shaft.

The cam is timed to the crank shaft, not the other way around.

Read the first link I provided and this link as well: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Firing_order

No where is there talk about the cam shaft setting the firing order. The firing order is determined during the design of the crank to satisfy design criteria.

Read #56 http://books.google.com/books?id=6V1VAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=what+determines+engine+firing+order&source=bl&ots=dM2KTlr1Nd&sig=A1sWDFXuXuaaY55D8CdCWaJ4qx0&hl=en&ei=hxNhS6SeOczQ8QaOidDUDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CA0Q6AEwAzgU#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Again, no discussion regarding cam shafts.

Here: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Classic-Antique-Car-2542/2009/7/1927-chevrolet-firing-order.htm

Again, no discussion regarding cam shafts.

Here is a thread where Paul is talking about flat plane cranks and has some great diagrams: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139545

Just my two cents... I don't think custom "grinding" a cam would change the timing... Wouldn't you need a custom "stamped" cam or "forged" cam...Right?

Custom grinds just change the lift and duration... so, how long and how big the valves open, but in order to change the timing the cam lobe would have to be moved on the cam shaft.

But... I don't know what I'm talking about ... so feel free to put me in my place.

I hope this was helpful.

Matt-

Before this thread gets locked because we're all acting like very big boys and girls, let's see why the firing order is 153624 on virtually all I6's.

Split the engine in two since you've basically got two I3's mirrored in an I6

That means you have 123 on one half and 456 on the other, putting the firing order together gives you this

_5

_6

_4

meaning that all exhaust pulses are exactly 120 degrees apart. If you fire all three front cylinders and then all three rear cylinders, then you'd get some really funky in harmonics in the exhaust, meaning that anything but a 6-1 header wouldn't see even firing pulses.

• Administrators
Just my two cents... I don't think custom "grinding" a cam would change the timing... Wouldn't you need a custom "stamped" cam or "forged" cam...Right?

Custom grinds just change the lift and duration... so, how long and how big the valves open, but in order to change the timing the cam lobe would have to be moved on the cam shaft.

But... I don't know what I'm talking about ... so feel free to put me in my place.

I hope this was helpful.

Matt-

One could feasibly have a custom cam manufactured with a different firing order. It would have to be billet stock as most cam blanks are typically manufactured with the rough shaped lobes already set in sequence, then final ground to a specific lobe profile. With the given crank throw configuration of the L-6 crankshaft, you will be limited to the combination of different firing orders allowed.

Because 2 pistons in the L-6 arrive at TDC at the same time, 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, and with 2 complete crankshaft revolutions per cycle, that allows each piston 2 different opportunities to fire.

You could have cylinders #1 & #6 swapped with each other, and/or cylinders #2 & #5 swapped with each other, and/or cylinders #3 & #4. Only those swaps or a combination of those swaps would work with the L-6 crankshaft. :wink:

Now as to why anyone would do that? There are NO benefits to altering the firing of the inline 6 cylinder. It is already optimum with the least compromises. For a V-8, that is a different story. Altering the firing order trades one benefit for another which again does not hold true for the inline 6 cylinder.

Edited by BRAAP

Before this thread gets locked because we're all acting like very big boys and girls, let's see why the firing order is 153624 on virtually all I6's.

Split the engine in two since you've basically got two I3's mirrored in an I6

That means you have 123 on one half and 456 on the other, putting the firing order together gives you this

_5

_6

_4

meaning that all exhaust pulses are exactly 120 degrees apart. If you fire all three front cylinders and then all three rear cylinders, then you'd get some really funky in harmonics in the exhaust, meaning that anything but a 6-1 header wouldn't see even firing pulses.

think its more like....

1--

-3-

-4-

6--

I think thats right but I could be wrong.

edit: ok, paul got to it before me so yeah, this is right^