HybridZ

Video camera mounts?

JMortensen

Looking at the Go Pro camera mount on ebay for about $30 vs the I/O Port mount for $100+. The I/O port certainly looks more stable, does anyone have any experience with these? My camera is a Canon HD DV and probably weighs 2.5 lbs. Suspension will be STIFF and g's will be high...

Use the stoutest mount possible. You will notice the interior of the car jiggling if you use a loose or "shock isolated" mount. Cameras are lightweight and have no moving parts now. The old days of shock mounting the camera are past. With no tape drive anymore there is no need to isolate the camera from vibration.

Use the stoutest mount possible. You will notice the interior of the car jiggling if you use a loose or "shock isolated" mount. Cameras are lightweight and have no moving parts now. The old days of shock mounting the camera are past. With no tape drive anymore there is no need to isolate the camera from vibration.

Mine is a tape drive, and I bought it because the HD cameras have a tiny little armature that writes to the disk, and I have friends who have had trouble using them for mountain bike vids due to vibration. Solid state would be the way to go for sure, but my camera isn't that new.

Are you saying that you wouldn't use the I/O port because it has a poly bushing in there to isolate vibrations? What are you using?

I am using a variety of lipstick and chip cameras and my old MiniDV camera as a recorder.

I have a few microphones and a mini preamp for sound input. I can mount the lightweight cameras anywhere(inside or outside) using tape, zip ties, bubble gum, or suction mounts. The MiniDV handycam-recorder, power distro, and audio preamp all fit in a mini Pelican case that is strapped to the tranny tunnel. That way the camera recorder is shock isolated and the cameras go anywhere.

I am using a variety of lipstick and chip cameras and my old MiniDV camera as a recorder.

I have a few microphones and a mini preamp for sound input. I can mount the lightweight cameras anywhere(inside or outside) using tape, zip ties, bubble gum, or suction mounts. The MiniDV handycam-recorder, power distro, and audio preamp all fit in a mini Pelican case that is strapped to the tranny tunnel. That way the camera recorder is shock isolated and the cameras go anywhere.

I made sure my camera had mic and camera inputs just for that reason (that's how my buddy does the mountain bike vids--lipstick cam on the helmet), but I figured I already have the camera so I might try that first. I had visions of a microphone by the fuel cell to get the exhaust noise and a lipstick cam in the radiator duct, dead center.

Really should probably be focused on just getting the damn car together, but I found a for sale ad on the I/O port mount and was going to do it just because it was a good deal.

If this is going in an s30, I bought a cheap used $5 adjustable tripod, put the two front legs through the holes in the factory strut tower braces and kinda wedge it in their, then fully extend the rear leg and secure it where the screw that holds down the spare tire goes. to keep it from vibrating, you could run a tie down across the top of the camera and hook it to the holes in the strut tower braces.

• 1 month later...

That's the same camera I have (I love mine). I'm going to make a mount with U bolts and a flat plate and the 1/4" wingnut and have the camera mounted upside down, then just flip the picture afterward, and mount the camera as high as possible. If that doesn't work well I'll put it in a padded box like John suggested with a lipstick camera and mic, probably mount the lipstick front and center in the grill area.

• 1 month later...

Jon already has a HD (High Definition) camera, why go for anything with less picture quality? Really for an incar camera solid state, no moving parts, is the only way to go although a tape camera may be better than a hard drive type which are rubbish for incar, trust me. With either all that can be done is soft mount it as much as possible.