HybridZ

Clock problems!!!

stravi757

I am having trouble with my clocks. A while ago I started pulling a clock from a Z every time I went to the junkyard. Determined to find a working clock I kept trying different clocks over the past few months. None of them worked, Two of which were quartz. I know have I think 12 clocks, and none of them work. I know they are notorious for going bad, but 12 and no luck?!! So I had a perfectly good working Quartz clock which was replaced by my boost gauge some moons ago. I thought to myself, this one has to work, it was working perfectly when I took it out. Wrong, didn't work. So today I picked up another quartz clock, tried it...nothing.

Is this even possible to have this many bad clocks. Am I not doing something right when I put them in, Do I need to hit them first or something.:fmad:

And yes, I checked to see if I was getting power at the plugs;-)

I am having trouble with my clocks. A while ago I started pulling a clock from a Z every time I went to the junkyard. Determined to find a working clock I kept trying different clocks over the past few months. None of them worked, Two of which were quartz. I know have I think 12 clocks, and none of them work. I know they are notorious for going bad, but 12 and no luck?!! So I had a perfectly good working Quartz clock which was replaced by my boost gauge some moons ago. I thought to myself, this one has to work, it was working perfectly when I took it out. Wrong, didn't work. So today I picked up another quartz clock, tried it...nothing.

Is this even possible to have this many bad clocks. Am I not doing something right when I put them in, Do I need to hit them first or something.:fmad:

And yes, I checked to see if I was getting power at the plugs;-)

I would be surprised if they worked a month after the car was sold. you could buy an autometer clock and just swap the guts over.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a working Quartz clock in my 280z. The only problems is that the time is not accurate. It falls behind all the time. I set the clock at 5:30, 5 mins later, the clock only had moved 3 mins. Is there anyway that I could fix this problem?

Thanks

Or you could do like I did and put one of these baby's in....

http://alanwatch.homestead.com/migclock.html

Love it! Big and easy to read, trip/stop functions, needs no power(except

a couple of twists to the stem winder every two days or so), mucho coolness.

No, you don't need to run 27v to for any reason- that's for Angels 45 & -40c!

No, it won't fit in the hole without some kind of adapter- my dash was already

shot ta hell anyway. I just used a bigger hammer....and sickle.

Oh, I crack myself up somedays..

• 1 year later...

I believe there is a capacitor in the clock. It's electrolitic. They tend to dry out over time and go bad. Try getting a replacement and see if that helps.

Check out this link from classiczcars.

http://classiczcars....22&d=1212753644

Tried the link, but got clasiczcars error message.

Is this the capacitor? If so, does anyone know the specs for it?

post-4015-046288100 1309903485_thumb.jpg

My clock runs when I bypass this. Don't know if it's accurate, but the gears spin.