HybridZ

s130 door weatherstrip

palladin

Good luck....there are plenty of options for the S30 but the S130 OEM ones are hard to come by....no one seems to sell reproductions. You're new here - do some searching on this site for "weather stripping" and "S130" and you'll find some ideas. borrowing from other, newer junkyard cars is a popular option I think.

My solution: turn up the stereo!

Yea I looked, that's what got me started. I found some guy who found substitutes for S30's. Next time I got to pick n Pull I'll search around. I talked to a guy at Abra body shop who said his glass guy would put a thin film of petroleum jelly on the gasket to swell it. I tried it; don't know if it actually swelled or if the thin coat sealed the gap. I had to wipe off the grease couple days later.

Yea I looked, that's what got me started. I found some guy who found substitutes for S30's. Next time I got to pick n Pull I'll search around. I talked to a guy at Abra body shop who said his glass guy would put a thin film of petroleum jelly on the gasket to swell it. I tried it; don't know if it actually swelled or if the thin coat sealed the gap. I had to wipe off the grease couple days later.

the S130 is the red headed step child of the Datsun family...especially for after market parts :(

Good luck - let me know what you find - mine work now but I'm sure I'll be in your boat one of these days too soon....

the S130 is the red headed step child of the Datsun family...especially for after market parts :(

Good luck - let me know what you find - mine work now but I'm sure I'll be in your boat one of these days too soon....

Well then the Z31 is the one armed three legged (hmmm maybe that's not a bad trait) buck toothed spawn of the Z car family.... at least the 510 guys still love them (well to rape and pilage at least)..

I know I've build up or "renewed" the surface on my T-Tops on my first S130 with silicone seal - worked awesomely. I may try building up the seal around the rear of the window on this S130 with silicone rubber..... course now that the exhaust is in I drive around with the window down as much as possible..... nothing sounds as good as that sweet note from the straight six....

Guest Rolling Parts
the S130 is the red headed step child of the Datsun family...especially for after market parts.

Fortunately these cars are simple and you don't need expensive after market parts to redo an interior. As said, find the general area where the noise is coming from first. Most of the time the noise is from a gap in the weatherstrip (a crack) or that the strip no longer is pliable enough to make a good seal at speed.

You can fill a crack with black RTV; you can also build up a weak seal by adding more material (aka strips of inner tube for a 700mm bicycle wheel that costs only $5).

Guest Rolling Parts

Well, yea. Unless you want a 98 point concourse car then the world is wide open to alternatives. Nice idea on the spreader! That's probably a perfect sized tool for the job.

I did a little experiment of my own on the way to my foster son's science fair. A strip of 1" x 1/8" single sided adhesive medium density foam like you use between your truck and canopy, etc applied to the "crack" area towards the rear of the driver/passenger window. I applied mine the entire height of the window. Works almost perfectly (just the slightest wisper of wind on the highway) - surprised and happy with the results. Took longer to find a pair of scissors than it did to install (and I even knew where the scissors were!).

Well then the Z31 is the one armed three legged (hmmm maybe that's not a bad trait) buck toothed spawn of the Z car family.... at least the 510 guys still love them (well to rape and pilage at least)...

Not to my knowledge, the Z31's have way more support than S130's. Z31's have at least two chassis-specific forums, and alot bigger following than S130's, whereas I haven't found a single S130 specific forum.. :( And the 510 guys rape and pillage our cars more than anything, the front suspension/brakes at least...

Anyone figured out how to stop the wind noise from the back of the door window. Has anyone had any luck in finding a substitute weatherstrip? Apparently some guys have tried it with S30s but I didn't find anything ons130s.

Is your side window lose?

There is a white trim glued into your side window that goes inside the window track...if this piece of plastic is missing or misplaced then you will hear the wind in your ear...It work like a slider and filler and make your window firm!

Same thing happen to me ...I removed the door panel and felt around and that piece was all the way down...glued it back and grease it and no more wind in my ear.

You don't need weather-striping.

Edited by borini63

Not to my knowledge, the Z31's have way more support than S130's. Z31's have at least two chassis-specific forums, and a lot bigger following than S130's, whereas I haven't found a single S130 specific forum.. sad.gif And the 510 guys rape and pillage our cars more than anything, the front suspension/brakes at least...

That's entirely possible but in the last 17 years that I've been into Datsuns I've never met a single Z31 enthusiast - not one. I'm sure there are lots out there but none in my neck of the woods. The day after I had my S130 on the road (last week) I had someone run up to me who was getting an S130 shipped out to him and was wondering where to get parts, etc. Picking up a jug of milk in the Jeep is a 10 minute return trip - its at least a half an hour in the S30.... by the time you pop the hood and answer 50 questions :) Lol every time I drive by another Z I wave - only the Z31 drivers give me a confused look (because subconsciously they know....) :)

• 6 months later...

That's entirely possible but in the last 17 years that I've been into Datsuns I've never met a single Z31 enthusiast - not one. I'm sure there are lots out there but none in my neck of the woods. The day after I had my S130 on the road (last week) I had someone run up to me who was getting an S130 shipped out to him and was wondering where to get parts, etc. Picking up a jug of milk in the Jeep is a 10 minute return trip - its at least a half an hour in the S30.... by the time you pop the hood and answer 50 questions :) Lol every time I drive by another Z I wave - only the Z31 drivers give me a confused look (because subconsciously they know....) :)

Z31s look pretty cool, but I know what you mean, lol. I happened to stumble up on this car(280zx) that I have, I love it. Almost done with it!

Well just got off the phone with Steele.At the moment they are not interested in foreign cars.They have a lot of projects going on for american cars,so much so that they can't start anymore new products for them till they get what they ere working on now done.They did point me towards someone that does do foreign cars.I will check these guys out too and report back.

There was a guy on ebay a few weeks ago who had a STASH of NOS stuff for Datsuns. Im pretty positive he had this weatherstripping. I was watching a few of his auctions for awhile. Ill try and see if I can find it on there for ya.

Maybe he still has it. It will most likely cost you though.