HybridZ

MSA "Performance" turbo camshafts

jacob80

Hey guys,

Well I am in the process of planning my 400hp HY35 build and know I'm going to need an aftermarket camshaft. Now, I have done zero research as to what lift/overlap/etc etc I need for a 400hp L28ET, but I did stumble across the MSA camshafts on their site. We did order a camshaft for our L24, which ended up being a schneider. My question for you guys is, do you guys have any experience with these cams? Who makes these cams? I have an 82 motor, so I would be ordering one accordingly. Thanks for your help!

Have you looked into http://www.deltacam.com/ ? I have used them for my lifters, and had good luck. There regrinds are pretty cheep, and from what I have read on HBZ, they know there stuff. I plan to use them for a regrind myself, hopefully before much longer. Like everyone else, I recomend a Datsun/Nissan core, I have a Schnider and after about six months (following propper break in, propper springs, lash pads) I am loosing a lobe.

I too have the stage II Schneider from MSA running with a T3/T4OE and like the power curve. I delayed the cam 4 degrees and that smoothed the torque curve out and it pulls strong to 7k rpm. I had used Delta Cams for a NA regrind before, but their turbo regrind was even milder than the stage II Schneider so I passed on it.

One nice thing about the Schneider is that the lift is mild (.460" IIRC) so you can run with the stock springs.

This summer I will probably switch to the Isky regrind as I'd like something more aggressive but still streetable and from the comments here it appears the Isky is just that.

Throw it my way then,.. got to be better than my N/A 'A' cam

Nigel

This will sound a little weird, but the old Schneider cam (260F grind) is a N/A cam. It was installed in my old Turbo Tom built motor (1995) by a local mechanic who I will never use again, but when old_slow_car installed megasquirt, holset hy35, etc, the darn motor made 416 rwhp with a flat power curve to 6500 rpm. Even before we pulled the motor, it was still making 350 rwhp WITH THE WORN OUT CAM. So maybe TimZ is correct to have a Schneider nitrided.

This will sound a little weird, but the old Schneider cam (260F grind) is a N/A cam. It was installed in my old Turbo Tom built motor (1995) by a local mechanic who I will never use again, but when old_slow_car installed megasquirt, holset hy35, etc, the darn motor made 416 rwhp with a flat power curve to 6500 rpm. Even before we pulled the motor, it was still making 350 rwhp WITH THE WORN OUT CAM. So maybe TimZ is correct to have a Schneider nitrided.

Hey, your motor is what I am modeling mine after! I'm looming for a cam that will give me a 400hp+ number. What is your setup?

If you've already got the thing and it's still new, you might want to send it out for nitriding - I don't think its that expensive.

Thanks for the advice. I bought the cam to use but I haven't built the engine yet so nitriding is a very good suggestion at this point. I'll look into it. :)

• 3 months later...

That is only ONE 'turbo' Isky grind. It is not the 'only' one. You need to call, talk to Ron, tell him what you want, and you will get a cam ground to YOUR specifications and intended usage.

I suggested long ago that JeffP call and talk to Ron, and NOT tell Ron what he thought about overlap, duration, lift, etc....but to just tell him what he wanted performance-wise, and see what Ron came up with. Jeff was a bit upset when Ron mentioned given his specs on the engine that he 'was down a bit on power' (which was around 500 crankshaft HP at the time...)

Jeff P thought that a bit arrogant. Until he ran it on the dyno and made 650+RWHP with the same components, save the cam change...

What one person gets from Isky will not necessarily be what someone else gets. For the same price as the others, you can get a specifically engineered camshaft solution for YOUR particular application with a specific lift, duration, split duration, and lobe center. To me it's a no-brainer...

Edited by Tony D

Talking to Ron is by far the best thing to do. I told him what I was looking for, and it turned out the one they have a master for just so happened to be good enough for me. But I will deffinately post befor and after dyno results of just the cam change. I just got the cam in today, BTW.