HybridZ

83 turbo rear differential swap to 81 non turbo

ArchetypeDatsun

I dont know this 100% but I had a question about the rear differential flange, has anyone done the swap before, I'm currently doing a full motor L28ET, T-5 transmission, also rear end swap completely out Of my 83 turbo donor car to my 81 non turbo.

If I ain't wrong my 81 non turbo has CV joints with the R180 diff & the 83 turbo has U joints with the R200 diff.

I just need some help on what I have to change out to do my complete swap to make my car a full on turbo swap like if it came like that from factory.

think you got that backwards the 81 has the R180 and the 83 turbo has the R200. they swap right in just make sure the driveshaft is compatible. need to turn the diffy mounting bolts 180 degrees to match.

What? Only r180 in a zx was 79-80 I am pretty sure. All turbos have the cv axles.

think you got that backwards the 81 has the R180 and the 83 turbo has the R200. they swap right in just make sure the driveshaft is compatible. need to turn the diffy mounting bolts 180 degrees to match.

That's what I said but I was just trying to make sure I guess I'll find out when I do the full swap.

I have done this swap on my 83 N/A. I went from R200 3:54 to R180 3:90. Then back again two years later

What needs to be done is simple. You need the iner-hubs, CV axles from R-200 and rear rubber mount. the "cricket ****" as i call it that bolts the rear of the diff can be rotated 180degrees to match. just need to lower the fuel tank unless you can get your hands on a correct 10mm wrench for that tight spot. I swap mine around depending on what type of driving i am looking at doing.

Is this 1981 NA Z an automatic car?

The non-turbo 5-speed in 1981-83 has an R200 3.9 rear

The R200 3.54 from the turbo Z will have a slightly different shaped front flange that bolts to the driveshaft. This is to fit the turbo driveshaft in the 1983 Z that slips into the T5 transmission.

Since you are swapping in the rear, driveshaft, and T5 transmission all at once it will all bolt in fine... as long as both cars are the same body style. 2 seats or 2+2

If one is a longer car than the other, then just the driveshaft length will vary. :)

Edited by BleachZee

Is this 1981 NA Z an automatic car?

The non-turbo 5-speed in 1981-83 has an R200 3.9 rear

The R200 3.54 from the turbo Z will have a slightly different shaped front flange that bolts to the driveshaft. This is to fit the turbo driveshaft in the 1983 Z that slips into the T5 transmission.

Since you are swapping in the rear, driveshaft, and T5 transmission all at once it will all bolt in fine... as long as both cars are the same body style. 2 seats or 2+2

If one is a longer car than the other, then just the driveshaft length will vary. :)

Nope, it's a 5-speed base model...no power anything or rear wiper. The 2+2 I had was an auto.