HybridZ

I have been bitten by the boost bug!

lowrider

I just now finished the turbo swap onto my na 83 motor in my 260z. I must say the power difference is amazing! No wonder everyone opts for the l28et, such a big difference! Im getting my exhaust tomorrow, then let the tuning begin. Im sorry this is not really a constructive post, but i just had to show my excitement!

I just now finished the turbo swap onto my na 83 motor in my 260z. I must say the power difference is amazing! No wonder everyone opts for the l28et, such a big difference! Im getting my exhaust tomorrow, then let the tuning begin. Im sorry this is not really a constructive post, but i just had to show my excitement!

Good to hear!

Welcome to the Flat Top boost club ;) The power difference really is wild. What engine management are you using? You said "tune"

Good to hear!

Welcome to the Flat Top boost club ;) The power difference really is wild. What engine management are you using? You said "tune"

lol, its definetly different. Im actually using the stock na ecu, but i am using an FMU as a fueling bandaid. The tuning im refering to is the cranking of the afm wheel to get my afr's right.

Edited by lowrider

As a fellow recent turbo convert, I'm grinning as I read your post because this weekend I was working on boost control. Initially I just let the 8 psi waste gate actuator do its thing and still the power was intoxicating. But I'm now experimenting with controlling boost with megasquirt. So far I've seen boost go up to 14 psi and the extra torque is amazing. Things happen REALLY FAST between 4k and 7k! But it's not very driveable (boost hits like a sledge hammer) and in 2nd gear on a cool day traction is a problem. Forget about WOT in 1st. I still have some "refining" left to do :)

Like Mat asked, what are you using for engine control? Tell us more about the rest of your setup. And enjoy!

As a fellow recent turbo convert, I'm grinning as I read your post because this weekend I was working on boost control. Initially I just let the 8 psi waste gate actuator do its thing and still the power was intoxicating. But I'm now experimenting with controlling boost with megasquirt. So far I've seen boost go up to 14 psi and the extra torque is amazing. Things happen REALLY FAST between 4k and 7k! But it's not very driveable (boost hits like a sledge hammer) and in 2nd gear on a cool day traction is a problem. Forget about WOT in 1st. I still have some "refining" left to do :)

Like Mat asked, what are you using for engine control? Tell us more about the rest of your setup. And enjoy!

For the engine control im using the stock 83 280zx NA ecu. For extra fueling im using a vortech FMU. The distributor's mech advance is welded up tight and timing and set 10 degrees. Im using a T3 off of a 300zx with the watercooled center. Ebay FMIC and piping with the piping ran the same way as KTM's. I have a wideband to moniter AFR's. Tomorrow i will be getting my 3" exhaust with stainless muffler. Im running the factory wastegate setting for now, or atleast untill i feel the itch for more power. lol

Pictures and Vids later!!! i need a decent camera for both! lol

Edited by lowrider

Congrats Lowrider! I'm about 20 minutes from you in Kingston, TN & it's great to see Z boost addicts close to home! As a safe supplement to the 83 NA ECU your using, I am selling an SDS additional injector controller setup you may be interested in to take the boost up 5-7lbs more or so. Good luck in the east TN rainy season...LOL! :lol:

Congrats Lowrider! I'm about 20 minutes from you in Kingston, TN & it's great to see Z boost addicts close to home! As a safe supplement to the 83 NA ECU your using, I am selling an SDS additional injector controller setup you may be interested in to take the boost up 5-7lbs more or so. Good luck in the east TN rainy season...LOL! :lol:

Man your not far from home at all! Surely your going to Zdayz in may?!? I have to get what i have running like a champ already before i pump much more boost to it!

Lol, wait till you start having traction promblems in third at 60mph and getting a fat chirp out of 4th haha!

Man your not far from home at all! Surely your going to Zdayz in may?!? I have to get what i have running like a champ already before i pump much more boost to it!

Yeah, will definitely try to make ZdayZ, got some top secret stuff I'm playing with that hopefully will be dialed in by then. I also need a good wash & wax on the Z before then...LOL..part of it is a show N shine, right?

Yeah, will definitely try to make ZdayZ, got some top secret stuff I'm playing with that hopefully will be dialed in by then. I also need a good wash & wax on the Z before then...LOL..part of it is a show N shine, right?

Good deal, ive already reserved a cabin and have a few friends going to cut down on costs. lol, yepp they do have a car show but my z is far from pretty so im not too worried about that part. Im looking forward to tearing up the dragon with BOOST!