HybridZ

Payment options, uk to usa

900ss

Can you guys give me some advice re payment in the usa

I want to pay for some Zed parts to be shipped from the usa to the uk

But what payment methods do us shops/couriers usually take?

Is paypal not normally accepted, as I thought it was?

Or does anyone know if us retailers take our uk/visa bank cards?

Cheers

I would think that Visa and Mastercard are taken worldwide by most commercial retailers. A lot of private people use Pay Pal to make or receive payments. A few sellers are backing off on that due to the percentage Pay Pal takes, but at least the buyer and seller can make an immediate transaction. Better than some of the bogus money orders and cashier checks that are still being used.

I take MC, Visa, PayPal, and have done wire transfers. Credit card companies and PayPal typically charge a 1.5% cross border transaction fee on top of any normal interchange fees. That sometimes drives the cost of the transaction to 4.5 or 5% for the seller.

A lot of private people use Pay Pal to make or receive payments... at least the buyer and seller can make an immediate transaction.

I've paid for the parts via paypal, so that part is fine

Simple no messing

I've suggested paypal to the packaging/shipping company but the vendor didn't seem to interested?

It's a large amount so could be why?

I just purchased some tools from the UK, using paypal.

Smooth transaction.

So it should be ;)

I take MC, Visa, PayPal, and have done wire transfers. Credit card companies and PayPal typically charge a 1.5% cross border transaction fee on top of any normal interchange fees. That sometimes drives the cost of the transaction to 4.5 or 5% for the seller.

So if I do a bank transfer I will be charged on top?

Does that apply to a visa/debit (not credit) card?

I've bought a fair bit of stuff from the US, individual sellers vary a lot in what they will accept and how much, if any, surcharge will be added. I have used my AU Visa, Paypal and a bank deposit into the seller's account, all of which involve some charge or other.

Bank Wire Transfer should only be whatever the cost your bank charges for the service.

Most larger companies will have a routing and ABA number for electronic fund deposits.

Heck, I've had monies transferred to me that way, some Credit Unions in the USA don't charge for wire transfers to another CU in the same ATM network-guy pays my storage fees to my CU acct directly from the ATM by his apartment.

I thinks I needs ta remine him he be obeydue on dat rent, two! :angry:

So if I do a bank transfer I will be charged on top?

Does that apply to a visa/debit (not credit) card?

For me, if my bank or your bank charges me something to do a wire transfer, that's a cost that's passed on to you. My thinking is that you chose the payment method so you should incur any unusual fees (from my perspective as a business man). Now, if you're buying $10,000 worth of stuff I'll most likely waive any banking/transaction fees.

Here in the US there's no differentiation between debit and credit cards regarding interchange fees. Sellers generally pay the same percent although some debit cards add a transaction fee on top of the interchange fee.

Something a lot of people don't know is that sellers pay an extra interchange fee for rewards or cash back credit cards. Its usually and extra percent. So we are helping pay for your airline miles and cash back rewards and the bank agreements say we must not charge you extra for that or even tell you its happening.

Wire transfer from the bank is probably the most expensive. I had no other choice than doing it to purchase stuff in UK whereas I'm in France.

Total cost from my bank for around ~300€ was an additional 23€ + 6£ for the seller. It is a lot, I'll never do it again!

I would use credit card with shops and Paypal with individuals (free if it is a private seller).

Something a lot of people don't know is that sellers pay an extra interchange fee for rewards or cash back credit cards. Its usually and extra percent. So we are helping pay for your airline miles and cash back rewards and the bank agreements say we must not charge you extra for that or even tell you its happening.

Did not know that, seems like both buyers and sellers get hit. On Visa as a buyer I have to pay a $ conversion fee plus a foreign transaction fee, they don't miss you.

Still struggling to pay :blink:

I've offered to pay via my uk visa debit card, but the vendor thinks I can or could cancel the transaction afterwards?

So is reluctant to take my money :huh:

In the uk with a debit card I can't, as far as I know only a credit card can be cancelled afterwards

Is that not the same in the us, as he has suggested otherwise ?

Still struggling to pay :blink:

I've offered to pay via my uk visa debit card, but the vendor thinks I can or could cancel the transaction afterwards?

So is reluctant to take my money :huh:

In the uk with a debit card I can't, as far as I know only a credit card can be cancelled afterwards

Is that not the same in the us, as he has suggested otherwise ?

Find another vendor.

If you have online banking then you may be able to do a overseas funds transfer directly into the vendor's bank account. I did this yesterday to a US vendor, your bank hits you with fees of course and to do it requires a fair bit of information. But its done on your computer so 24/7.