HybridZ

my new coil-overs

bluezx

These are T-3 camber plates and ground control coil-over sleeves from Techno Toy Tuning I'm fitting to 84 Z31

spindle assemblies. Got some Z32 calipers to go with them too!

Anyone got any pics of camber plates installed on S130's?

I'm waiting on a Cusco strut bar before cutting out the top of the strut towers and would like to see what

others have done. Lots of S30 pics, not much S130 stuff posted yet.

post-10302-12693926023541_thumb.jpg

post-10302-12693926148326_thumb.jpg

What are you planning to do about the camber? I believe the camber on the Z31 spindles is different (more positive) than 280ZX's... I don't think the camber plates will allow for enough adjustment? idk... something to think about.

Also, your car looks like it's the same color as mine, am I right? light blue ZX's FTMFW. lol

Edited by PurePontiacKid

What are you planning to do about the camber? I believe the camber on the Z31 spindles is different (more positive) than 280ZX's... I don't think the camber plates will allow for enough adjustment? idk... something to think about.

Also, your car looks like it's the same color as mine, am I right? light blue ZX's FTMFW. lol

The camber wont allow for enough adjustments... i had the same problem using z31 coilovers and 5 lugs with r33 calipers (z32 basically)on my ZXR. I had to 'stretch' the lca's about 1,5" to make up for the camber loss using the z31 spindle

Yeah, my control arms are gonna need some surgery. I was looking at doing hemi joints any way so that should fix that. I really wanted 4-piston calipers up front and this seemed like the best way to get them. The camber plates are for fine tunning to get it dialed in.

Frank, did you have to "stretch" the tierods also to acomplish this mod?

I've been considering rod end conversions and bumpsteer spacers to complete this set up.

I'ts definitly a domino effect once you start changing one thing...

Pure Pontiackid, I think both my cars are the same blue originaly just in different sunfaded conditions now.lol

Yeah, my control arms are gonna need some surgery. I was looking at doing hemi joints any way so that should fix that. I really wanted 4-piston calipers up front and this seemed like the best way to get them. The camber plates are for fine tunning to get it dialed in.

Frank, did you have to "stretch" the tierods also to acomplish this mod?

I've been considering rod end conversions and bumpsteer spacers to complete this set up.

I'ts definitly a domino effect once you start changing one thing...

Pure Pontiackid, I think both my cars are the same blue originaly just in different sunfaded conditions now.lol

Stretch ..... I could not find the english word.. I cut them in half and added 1.5"! For that car i did not go with heim joints for 78 s130 I will but that is a full track car.

Pictures say more than words!

armen.jpg

med_arms_extended.jpg

Edited by frank280zx

Thanks for the pictures. I like how you boxed them in too. Did you have to modify the Z31 steering arms or tie rods?

The brake and 5lug wheel options this combination of parts gives is just great!

Frank, you are a genius. :hail:

Also, does anyone know were to get bumpsteer spacers for an 84' Z31?

I only found 1 place [Z31 Parts.com] but there out of stock.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures. I like how you boxed them in too. Did you have to modify the Z31 steering arms or tie rods?

The brake and 5lug wheel options this combination of parts gives is just great!

Frank, you are a genius. :hail:

Also, does anyone know were to get bumpsteer spacers for an 84' Z31?

I only found 1 place [Z31 Parts.com] but there out of stock.

I got the bump steer spacers form him to, shoot him a mail i could have em made for you.

No used the z31 steering 'knuckels' and apart from having to give the tie rods some play, but well within a save margin.

The new A arms i will do the same (to make up for the ISMA widebody kit) but ill go with heim joints for adjustment (hence this will eb a full track car)

Edited by frank280zx

Frank, thanks for the info about the tie rods. Looks like I've got all the parts I need to put this together now except bump steer correction. I saw this on the rare and interersting parts thread and thought this would be a great way to lengthen the control arms.

post-10302-12695701930097_thumb.jpgI wonder what ball joints they used to make those.

Seems like a pretty striaght forward control arm design. I could copy that in mild steel and have them powdercoated. I would still be able to use the t.c. rods I already made too;post-10302-12695720771962_thumb.jpgpost-10302-12695722346513_thumb.jpg

Frank, thanks for the info about the tie rods. Looks like I've got all the parts I need to put this together now except bump steer correction. I saw this on the rare and interersting parts thread and thought this would be a great way to lengthen the control arms.

post-10302-12695701930097_thumb.jpgI wonder what ball joints they used to make those.

Seems like a pretty striaght forward control arm design. I could copy that in mild steel and have them powdercoated. I would still be able to use the t.c. rods I already made too;post-10302-12695720771962_thumb.jpgpost-10302-12695722346513_thumb.jpg

they look like a uneversal type ball joints.. Join up in the supensiontech post a couple of post down. it might help concentrate de s130 options

O.k., woke up this morning, read Frank's last reply and realized what I did by starting this post instead adding this to the suspension tec post :oops:

Will add any new updates and info on this subject over there to keep it all in one place.

Dam newbies! :roll: lol

Thanks guys, Mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I'm pretty tempted to build myself some z31 coilovers as well. Just want to get this straight.

All that's required to get this setup working is:

z31 strut tubes

z31 brakes/rotors/hubs (I want to use 4 bolt in the mean time since there's no room in the budget for wheels right now)

z31 steering arm

1.5" stretched control arms

and to correct alignment:

bump steer spacers

camber plates

and of course sleeves and springs, I assume these will fit the z31 strut tubes?: http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=70&PHPSESSID=097c89f4e02f575eb09c510cf3f18b07

If anyone would care to confirm this that would be great!

One more question though, I guess directed and frank280zx if you've got this working, it looks like you stretched the control arms behind the sway bar mount, therefore spacing it out 1.5" on either side. How did you then reconnect the sway bar?

• 2 weeks later...

hey bluezx, any update on your progress? wanted to know if running the z31 setup you have changes the offset since you are running z31 hubs?

Sorry no progess, been working the last four weekends on a remodel project for family.

Looks like it does move the wheels out by about 3/4" for a total 1-1/2" wider stance.

I think of this as an added advantage,"wider is better" and all plus more clearance for wider wheel-tire combos.

When I can get caught up and back at it I'll post updates in the suspension thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

hey bluezx, any update on your progress? wanted to know if running the z31 setup you have changes the offset since you are running z31 hubs?

"wAnNaBVan" where can i see/find the picture you have set as our profile pic!? I have a zx and have seen nearly every one online but not that one!!! where can I find that pic/pics??