HybridZ

1973 240Z Build

Repainted, put a new ball joint on, new spring, new strut, and repacked the wheel bearing for the front drivers suspension. I needed a break from all the wire wheeling of the front driver chassis.

P1010001_6.JPG

P1010010_3.JPG

P1010013.JPG

She stopped by to lend a hand

garage-girl-2-465x695.jpg

Edited by UofA_ZCar

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We finally had a cooler day, only 100 degrees!...... So I installed the drivers front suspension. Tokico illuminas, Tokico lowering springs, polyurethane bushings, new ball joint, and new tie rod end. I do have some bunching in the upper part of the spring but I can't remember if that sticky thread in the suspension section said that was normal or not.....I'll have to re-read it when I have time. Now to tear apart the passenger side. Honestly I can't wait till I'm done stripping old undercoating......it's not all too hard but damn that crap gets everywhere when using the needle gun.

100_1054.JPG

100_1056.JPG

100_1057.JPG

Wow, great build and your car is coming along nice. I just got my 240z yesterday and wanted to work on it already. Wanted to strip the whole car and clean the inside and out for rust. Can you post a pic of what tools did you use? Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

I agree... You should cut the springs or get different ones. O and the weather is much nicer now/today.

Actually I read through the thread on the springs again and it is normal for progressive rate springs to look like this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/55577-tokico-suspension-problem-suspension-techniques-warning-to-buyers/

Can you post a pic of what tools did you use? Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

The needle gun and impact are picture in an earlier post. Besides that I just used common wire wheel, wrenches, and ratchets/sockets.

Way to go, so did you get to ride in Zachs Z? I sooo cant wait to see this in person.

Ya. I had nothing but a big grin on my face when the turbo kicked in.

• 2 months later...

Just a little update. Today I finally got off my lazy butt and tore the passenger front suspension out (no pics since it is the same as driver side). I will start the process of removing the undercoating this week.

It turns out I am one of the lucky tokico spring owners with a binding problem :banghead: So I plan to use my tokico springs from my old 280z on all 4 corners since they are the same spring rate as the ArizonaZcar set. I just haven't decided if I am going to cut a coil off them to lower the car or not.

Any thoughts?

i thought i was coil binding, but it was actaully the bump stop that i was hitting. I removed the bumpstops int he front and the car drove 100 times nice on the road, I know its not the right way to do it but it helped out a lot. If u need a temp. fix it could help

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a different technique today when I was removing the undercoating on the passenger front side....... Dry ice and the needle gun. It was great, took me about 40 minutes on the passenger side compared to probably 4 hours on the driver side (without using dry ice). The dry ice just makes the undercoating so brittle it falls off in big chunks!

I took a break from doing undercoating and installed my brushed aluminum shift knob from 1 Tuff Z. It was a bit out of order considering the interior is last on my list but sometimes you need to change it up when you are in the trenches of a project......and I definitely consider stripping undercoating the trenches of a z project (that and the god forsaken spindle pins). I must say that this shift knob is a quality product.

P1010003.JPG

I just came in from my garage where I was working on my 240Z's fuse box.  I see that your third fuse on the right, socket, melted out of the fuse box also. It's exactly what I was working on 15 minutes ago.  I was able to repair mine, but I will eventually upgrade to the modernized fuse box.  Your Z is looking good.   

Edited by cygnusx1

P1010152.JPG

Almost ready for paint!......I can't wait to be done stripping the underside of the body. Medial blasting would definitely be the way to go if i didn't have my space restraints.

I see that your third fuse on the right, socket, melted out of the fuse box also. It's exactly what I was working on 15 minutes ago.  I was able to repair mine, but I will eventually upgrade to the modernized fuse box.  

Good eye. I also plan to get a modernized fuse box.

Got the body painted with rustbullet and just recieved my suspension parts back from sand blasting. Once I paint them I'll assemble it with the tokico 280Z spring and then see how I like the ride height. Then I'll decide if I'm going to clip a coil off the spring or not.

101_0035.JPG

101_0033.JPG

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Passenger suspension is done! With the 280z Tokico springs it only sits 1/2 in higher than with the Tokico 240Z springs that were bunched up.... so at this point Im not going to clip them.

Burning out the old rubber bushing

P1010153.JPG

240Z spring (left) vs. 280Z spring (right) The 280z looks linear to me

P1010154.JPG

280Z spring side

P1010156.JPG

240Z spring side

P1010157.JPG

Finished product on passenger side

P1010158.JPG

Now I just need to swap out the other 3 240Z springs for the Tokico springs off my old 280Z