HybridZ

Got stopped for loud exhaust.

Guest mac

Out cruisin the local spots last night in the 260Z and on my way home I got stopped for loud exhaust( and I was just running 1800 rpm). Told me he was going to have to write me a ticket when I told him I had just put on new mufflers (2 small turbo mufflers). He said well its too loud. I asked the officer what the legal decibel limit was so that I could meet the requirements and his response was what I had expected. Uhh well Im not going to get into the mathematics of it but your too loud. He then relized he would look stupid writing me a ticket for something he wasnt even sure about and said he was going to let me go with a warning but if he caught me again he would write a ticket.

Here are my questions to the group.Has this happened to any of you. What exhaust ,engine etc do you run. I dont want to be hassled by the police everytime I go out but I do what a free flowing exhaust with a nice sound.Suggestions? My setup is a 377cui,Forged flat tops (low compression),Dart 2.02/1.60 heads,Lunati 500+ lift cam,Pete jackson gear drive ,single plane bowtie intake with 850 Holley. Dual stage nitrous 150hp/250hp.Turbo 350 with TCI 3500 stall. Block hugger headers through 2.5" exhaust to the 2 turbo mufflers. I havent run them all the way out the back yet and they stop just ahead of the rear diff. The car is quite quick and I dont want to lose any flow. HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Wow!

sounds like a rather fun ride. Please send my 1/4 mile times as soon as you run!

As for sound laws, I seem to remember all states having different laws that cover each state. For example, Michigan has something like 90 dB from 50 feet behind the car. Georgia might have 100 db, but that might be as close as 10 feet away. You need to get the written law from your local City Hall. This might be a very difficult thing to accomplish. I've found that most city/state public workers are very reluctant to give and type of advice or information to the public. Don't take it personally, this is their policy. They will not give "legal advice" to anyone. What the city workers consider "legal advice" often covers just about everything you need from them short of paying your driving taxes (i.e. speeding tickets icon_mad.gif ). If there is no way to find a copy of the law, wait until you get a ticket for loud exhaust. The misdemeanor or civil infraction number should be clearly present.

To fight this ticket, the local or state police department must prove at the time of hearing that your vehicle exceeds the legal limit. Remember, this is traffic court: guilty until proven innocent. This same mentality is why many of the loud exhaust tickets are waived, they simply cannot be proven in the field. In most states, there is an S.A.E. certified method to measuring exhaust noise. Just like radar cases, there needs to be a certified police officer, with a certified dB meter, within a specified distance, measuring for a specified dB level.

About five years ago I was getting harassed by the local police for loud(er) exhaust on my Z. I got three tickets within a week... and this was a very small town icon_mad.gif Anyway, I took all three tickets into the police station and asked someone to come out and verify that the exhaust was above legal limits. The crooked SOB police chief comes out, take one L-O-O-K at my car without even hearing it and says: "You haven't done anything to it, come back when it's fixed!!!"

The next weekend I drove downstate (I was up at college at the time) and had a respectable state officer go out and measure my exhaust according to state law. As it turned out, my exhaust read a maximum of 81 dB (I seem to remember, it's been a long time). A far cry from the maximum specified limit of 90 dB. I had the state officer sign all three of my tickets, a copy of the exhaust law, and a copy of the testing procedure.

After returning to the small college town in Northern Michigan, I submitted my documents to the local police department and informed the officer at the desk (chief butt-wipe wasn't available) that any further noise violations would be considered "harassment". They stopped giving me exhaust tickets, but they would always follow me around waiting for me to do something. Not sure what they disliked about me, but it sure made them mad. I think they didn't like the fact that I wasn't driving a pick up truck icon_rolleyes.gif Either that or they didn't like some college guy driving around a fancy-schmancy high dollar Jaguar-Ferrari-Daytona-F500 whatever they thought it was. The locals in this town were not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Bottom line, get a copy of the state law and testing procedure and make sure you comply to these before you start taking on city hall.

Good Luck

-Andy

Had this same problem with my Camaro... You handled it the best way I have found. Usually it is some Cop with an attitude or envious of your car. I have had them walk up to the door talking like I am some 16 year old punk and when they get there and talk to me there whole attitude changes. It is still interesting how "some" cops act when they think they won't be confronted about there behavior... Good luck icon_biggrin.gif and if that doesn't work get a good cheep Lawyer it is cheeper than hasling with the tickets...

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Ray ]

...Good point... Remember that THEY have rules they have to play by as well. He can't just say "Its too loud. There is a tool used to measure decibles and if the officer doesn't have the unit in his cruiser, he can use his discretion to hold you there until one can be brought to him. What your case tells me is that the guy didn't know if you was too loud or not, and your question made him stop long enough to ask himself if he was doing the right thing. Usually the fact that you didn't get a ticket is an indicator that the officer was getting ready to write an unjust ticket and thought better of it.

I'd continue to drive the car and continue asking the same questions when pulled over... They have to tell you what the specs are for it to be legal.

Mike icon_eek.gif

In MD, they can give you an Inspection ticket that makes you take the car to a state police barracks. This place will have officers that are trained to use a decibel meter for measuring against a state standard (which escapes me).

So they kind of "gotcha".

What I'd like to know is what is the frequency spectrum of that specification and meter. Low rumbly noise is generally less "unpleasant" than high pitched chain saw noise.

Well I'll address the problem rather than the issue. I use a dB meter from time to time at work (I'm not a cop) and used it one my BB Chevelle. Original setup was 3" dual exhaust to 3" Flowmasters that dumped at the rear wheels. Results 104 dB inside the car @ 2000 rpm's (no sound insulation) and 92 dB @2000 rpm's at about 50 feet. It sure sounded good to me, but looking back it was a little too loud. I had 2.5" pipes extended up and over the rear end and dumped them just behind the reat tires. What a difference that made and I'm pretty sure I didn't loose anything in terms of power.

Even if the car is loud but within the dB limits, the cops will notice any eventually write you for something. If you beat them on the noise issue, they will find something else to cite you for and watch you closer. Give em' fewer reasons to notice you and you will come out ahead.

By the way how does the 377 run? Any 1/4 mile times yet?

Later, Larry

Mac, you may end up having to run a couple of additional mufflers underneath (or something) if the noise issue keeps getting you pulled over regardless if you are barely within the legal limits or not. Under the Z there is precious little room for additional mufflers, but perhaps you could have Spin-tech make you a skinny free-flowing muffler that both pipes dump into under the car, then you would still have the mufflers in the rear as well. Is your Z lowered quite a bit or are you near stock ride height? Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Davy

Go for the spintechs! Ive got a set under the car that are the same heigth as the pipe. If you dont hit your pipes currently then neither will your mufflers. Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

On my 1975 280Z, the guy I got it from had a hillbilly exaust setup... As soon as the pipe from the exaust manifold came out under the car, there was a Cherry Bomb, and then a 2 foot pipe...Sticks out right under the cargo deck...not even all the way out the car :P (I don't have the money to fix it yet) but its not that loud at all. Well, its been driven past numerous cops, and none of em seemed to care. Sounds real nice too icon_smile.gif

Cherry Bombs/Glasspacks are free flowing arn't they?

They sure look like they would be, but they ain't. Actually extremely restrictive. When you do get enough nickels and dimes, I would recommend a Walker DynoMax turbo muffler. 2 1/2" in/out for a mild motor or 3" if you have a screamer. Best bang for the $ IMHO.

I'm not running yet but if it's too loud then I'm considering running addtional cylindrical mufflers underneath or those Spintechs. I'd also really like to hear more info from those who have used these! I agree that getting pulled over every time even if you're within the legal limits is too much of a hassle, not every officer is as lenient...

I met with Alfonso a couple of weeks ago, he has a 327 in an old school RX7. It was really quiet and he told me he had a 2 into 1 config with a resonator on each pipe.

Owen

Hey guys, I got the model 7225's 16x9x2 1/2" really nice I must say. Im running them under the car about back of seats. No clearance problems. Exhaust system is simple just sanderson shorties(coated) 2.5" pipes to spins to back of car drivers side,same as stock.

Sound good, not noisy in my opinion. Ask spotfitz, lonestar one or RickB. If I had to guess they are a little quiter than flowmaster two chambers. Sorry I do not have a digital camera. My advice call spintech or look them up at:spintechmufflers.com.

Mike icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Pal, I'm also from GA and I've been in the same situation. I was stopped and told my exhaust pipes were improper because they exited before the rear wheel. I politely said I've really never heard of that law before, and I would correct it as soon as I could. He gave me a warning. The next day I called the local police dept. and the Highway Patrol, guess what no such law. I think he just wanted to get a closer look at my car.

Guest Locutus

Remember that police officers can be just as misinformed as the public can. You have state laws, county ordinances and city ordinaces that they all have to remember. I got pulled over one time cause I was driving with my tail gate down. I was written a ticket for it. I called the DPS(Texas State Police, they told me that it was not against the law for the state, and that he was not aware of any city ordince either. I had to go before the judge and ask for clarification on the law I had violated. She gave me a weeks continuance and the next week when I went back she dismissed the case and formally notified the Sheriffs dept that it was not against the law in our area to drive a pick up with the tail gate down. Sometimes all it takes is one person to let the right person know. None of the officers were trying to be jerks they were just misinformed by thier superiors even. It does happen.

Mike

Thanks for the great info and responses. I guess I will do a little research on the law and probably quiet it down a bit just to avoid the hassles. I'm sure it will help once the exhaust exits the rear and isnt pulsing directly off of the pavement. As far as performance I havent taken the car to the strip myself but will soon. I bought the car pretty much in its current configuration from a good friend (the builder) who is an avid street/strip racer. Most of the local drag strips here are 1/8th mile only. He ran the car on M/T slicks 26x8.5x14. It has welded 3.90 R200 running stock halfshafts. The suspension is stock but transfers weight so well you would have to see it to believe it. On the motor it runs consistent 7.50's through the 1/8th. When engaging just the 150 hp kit via a nitrous timer at a tenth of a second after wide open throttle it runs 6.90's. Now the fun part a best ET was run engaging the 150hp kit at .1 second after WOT with the 250hp kit coming in at .6 second later. It put down 1.47 second @60 ft. and the 1/8th disappeared in 6.26@112mph. This proved too much for the halfshafts though and would break them on every third run. Delaying the nitrous entry runs 6.50's. Ive already found a CV setup and will convert it soon. Most dont take it serious when they see the stock suspension only to be shocked and embarassed when it leaves. Even on a cheap set of 235-60-14 street tires it just chirps and is gone(no nitrous it overwhelms the street rubber). Thanks again to all who have responded. I'll keep you posted with my exhaust choice.

Mark

mac

Guest Night_rider_383

I'm from Ga. as well, and i aint had but 2 runnings with cops about exhaust. 1 on my 84 camaro, true dual 2.25'' pipes, dual flowmaster 40's no cats, it was loud. I got pulled over for loud exhaust and the cop tryed to write me up for having "racing" exhaust, but cause i was nice and knew more than he thought i did he let me off with a warnning and told me dont have that car on the road again till cats is put on it cause thats a fed law. That was a nice one. The other time i got pulled over in my 73 chevy c/10, dual 2.5'' pipes, no cats (dont have to have them on this year) flowmaster 40's by a smartass cop and he strarted writing me a ticket for loud exhaut and i kinda got smart with him and said "naw now sir wait just a damn min. if its loud how much too loud is it" He tells me i cant tell you that but if i can hear it in my cop car with the windows up then its too loud. so this went on for about 10 min. till he placed cuffs on me and radioed in and the guy told him thats no good enough to give a ticket you got to have a db reading over 98 db@50 feet. So about 15 min later a GSP comes with a rope tape and a db meter, checks my truck it shows up at 89 db and the GSP tells that smartass cop you better let that boy go he can file civle rights suit on you. So The cuffs came off and i was gone. That was 7 mo. ago and as of now aint been blue lighted for anything

Great info Night rider!! I will double check the numbers and get a copy of the law to keep with me. I was wondering did they check the sound at idle or across the rpm band? I still cant decide if its worth it to get pulled over and hassled about it though. It may just be a one time thing and I wont hear anything else about it.

Guest Anonymous

I would first try the advice Peternell said about just extending the pipes out the back. I once had a Nova with dual turbo muffs that ended in front of the rearend, much too loud and a headache resonance. Adding only 2'ft. of straight pipe made an amazing difference in the noise level.