HybridZ

R200 LSD...am I stupid

jacob80

Well I guess it works, but I really would of rather had the CLSD as what was stated in the ad. What are the pros and cons of this one vs. the CLSD?

From what I have experienced and hear on the VLSD is that once the viscous fluid over heats, it's no longer a good coupler. Also the viscous fluid wears out over time. Ontop of that double negative, you can't replace the viscous fluid, you can only replace the part it's contained in. Which You might get lucky on, as the VLSD you have, is the same one found in short nose R200's. The only thing I would be worried about, is that the axles you have are the correct ones for that diff.

From what I have experienced and hear on the VLSD is that once the viscous fluid over heats, it's no longer a good coupler. Also the viscous fluid wears out over time. Ontop of that double negative, you can't replace the viscous fluid, you can only replace the part it's contained in. Which You might get lucky on, as the VLSD you have, is the same one found in short nose R200's. The only thing I would be worried about, is that the axles you have are the correct ones for that diff.

If he was building a track only car then the above list would be something to think about. If its a dual purpose street and open track car then the VLSD is fine and will work just as well as it did in the 300ZXT. They even work well on the track if the sessions are 30 minutes or less, which is very typical for HPDEs and open track days. They work real well for drag cars.

FYI... if it was my personal street car I would run a VLSD over a CLSD if I had that option in an R180.

Well that really stinks, I'll definitely be getting at least a partial refund because this is NOT was I prefer to have. Thanks for all your help guys!

It's not what you prefer, but the seller DID say it was a clutch type LSD in the ad. That is what entitles you to a partial refund.

The seller [and you, as an educated buyer] should have noticed from the axles [4 bolt in stead of 5] as the VLSD unit from the 88s.

Edited by flatblack280

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both CLSD and VLSD R200s use four bolt CV shafts, so thats out the window. Only difference being the spline count on the differential output side.

I thought people needed the half shafts as well because the CLSDs were 5 bolt? I could be wrong there, I apologize if I am. Doesn't change the fact that it is a Viscous unit.

If he was building a track only car then the above list would be something to think about. If its a dual purpose street and open track car then the VLSD is fine and will work just as well as it did in the 300ZXT. They even work well on the track if the sessions are 30 minutes or less, which is very typical for HPDEs and open track days. They work real well for drag cars.

Agreed. Just drive it. Having a VLSD is MUCH better than having no LSD at all. If you aren't seriously racing or drifting, you should just be happy that you don't spin the inside tire anymore, and think of VLSD vs HLSD vs CLSD as a theoretical argument.

Yes, the longnose CLSD and VLSD use 4 bolt outers. Shortnose are different and I think Mat is getting confused there.

Edited by JMortensen

This is great input, as I run a r200 vlsd in my v8 car and plan to run a clsd in my 70 street car. Anyone know the "cutoff" month for clsd units to come in the 87 300zxt?

Like John said, plenty of guys tell me they rather have the vlsd for a street car over the clsd. Is that due to the chatter the clsd units generate?

Jacob and I have resolved this issue. He has ALL the necessary parts to do the full conversion. I pulled the axels, they are the correct spline count for the unit.

Heck if I knew all this was going to happen I would have just held on to the unit for

one of my cars or swapped out my clsd with cv conversion and sold it.

Mat go do some home work ;), they are 4 bolt cv's which will mate

up to the MML adaptors he is putting in the car.

I would have considered a return but the dif was taken apart.

Thanks to all who chimed in with the vauable knowledge to shed light on

this thread.

Is that due to the chatter the clsd units generate?

If it is, that's kind of a silly reason to dislike clsd units. Just go to any autoparts store and buy some friction modifier and add to the diff. Keep adding more until it stops chattering. Some really tight ones might take 2 or 3 bottles or tubes of the stuff. Just keep adding until it goes away.

Problem solved.

I've been using that exact diff in my Z for over 5 years, and that's with out any issues with it whats so ever. I have even had CLSD's that I could have used to swap out for the VLSD, but sold them instead. I'd keep it if I were you. Since you have the correct matching 1/2 shafts, your good to go..... :2thumbs:

Mat go do some home work ;)

haha. I am a LSD newb. Not for long though :)

Of course, you did tell him it was a clutch type LSD in your for sale ad and he took it apart to rebuild it as such. You tried to sell that same diff to me as a clutch type. If I would have bought it from you I would have done the exact same thing to replace the clutches.

He wouldn't have needed to do it he would have known it was a viscous type.

Edited by flatblack280

• 2 weeks later...