HybridZ

Racing seats

Tim240z

I had a look at the one's on e-bay, and they look great, and at $370 are cheaper, but the $90 shipping makes them a bit more expensive. The other ones are close enough where I can pick them up, and I would assume, check the butt fit.

Just spoke to them and would have to pay an additional $125 for the mounting brackets, so the e-bay ones seem to be the best after all, since they come with side mount brackets.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I just remembered that the ones on ebay do not have provisions for adjuster sliders. I am going to make custom brackets anyway so I don't care. Besides, I have the two off my original seats and one Jaz seat stlye adjuster.

Owen,

How much did you pay for your Corbeau's seats? Where from?

The seats on e-bay come with the side mount brackets, so unless I use some oem sliders, they will be static placement. The other seats (per link at start of post), have mounting brackets, but the sliders are $125 for the pair.

I'm going check out Scat crankshafts, when I was last at their shop, they had some nice in-house brand seats, but I forget the price.

Tim

My advice is to put your butt into any seat that you are paying anything like painful money for! I did that and bought some Sparco chairs, and even later decided they were too restrictive for a street car. Then I went to Corbeau A4s which are like $320-$380 each, depending on if you get adjustable lumbar bladders installed. Not cheap at ALL!

Try Miata seats. They fit the Z well and are half-way comfortable on long rides and affordable!

Thanks for the advise Pete, but with wanting to use a 4 or 5 point harness, the 'racing' type seats would work and look better. With the amount of effort I am putting into this car,(it is completely stripped now, on a rotisserie awaiting stiffer chassis legs, and roll bar etc---this weekend), I don't want to go with the 'cheap' option, but the more money I can save on 'silly' stuff like seats, the more money i can throw at horsepower icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tim

p.s.

This will not be a daily driver. I have a stock icon_rolleyes.gif 240Z POS for that.

I paid $150 for both, but they were used and were 2 different seats too! But I'm not complaining, it ain't a show car icon_smile.gif Those NEX seats looked pretty cool though, I like the cushions.

As for seat sliders, Tim, you know how short I am, my seat is as far back as possible with the rollcage and all. So I didn't use any sliders. I even got a d-shaped steering wheel to be able to get out of the car easier.

Pete's advise is the best, whether racing seats or stockers from something else, sit in them first!

Owen

If you are going to spend time on the track, spend the money and get FIA certified racing seats. Both SCCA and NASCAR are moving seat safety requirements in the direction the FIA has been for years.

Racing seats are a safety item just like racing helmets. There are a lot of unsafe seats out there including the ones (Jamex) that are in my 240Z. Those will be replaced in a month or two with some Cobra Suzukas.

With FIA seats you are not required to install the back brace that attaches to the roll bar/cage. And for a 240Z application, you need to make sure the seat will actually fit in the car.

Damn, John beat me to the punch... and he is right. In light of the Dale Earnhardt Crash findingd (And more likely what wasn't said in the public report, but was said behind the scense) several santioning bodies are looking at completely changing the safety requirements and "Strong" Recommendations have already been handed down as to who does what in regard to safety equipment. NASCAR played down the HANS Device publicly because they didn't want a blood bath in the press, but behind the scenes it was "STRONGLY" Suggested that the drivers revamp their safety equipment.

I had decided on the A4, but will be taking a 2nd look into seats over the winter. I'm almost ready to drop the car BAck on the ground and will start on the interior probably before December. I even worked on the car tonight for a bit....

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Locutus

One thing about the Cobeaus is they are big seats. I rode in Myron's car when he had Corbeaus and being 6'1 was a bit of a tight fit with the seat mounted on a sliding bracket. Also I seem to remember the seats being a tad wide and the lumbar supports hitting the doors when you closed it.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I agree with Pete. You gotta sit in the seat before you buy it. Also consider the height and seat back angle. Also, I had to fab a new rear seat mount (raise it up) to match the flat mounting area of the seat (stronger than using spacers).

Also consider where the seat belt slots are. I bought a Corbeau first and the lap belt slots were too far forward. Meaning the shoulder straps didn't pull tight all the way down to the lap belt.

This was to install a racing bucket (non reclining).

Jon

I don't recall if the Corbeau A4 is FIA approved, but I doubt it - it's reclinable. My car is more street than race though.

The A4 is a bit wide, but not too bad. If you mount it a 1/2" off center, it clears the doors at the wings. I used the stock 240Z sliders, and it sits a bit high.

Guest Anonymous

you may want to look on ebay under the search title of "racing seats". There is a company there that sells seats called NEX that are very very comfortable. I have set in them before. they are very light and the seat pads are removable for cleaning or you can modify them for a custom but fit. all and all I relly like them and will be buying some in anther month or two.

jake

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey guys! (newbie here)

Just a suggestion, but I would try something like Pontiac Fiero Seats, or maybe something out of a sport-compact like an Eclipse or something. I'm planning on Fiero seats, myself. They are reasonable comfortable, have a "race" look to them, and seem narrow enough to be a great fit in a Z car. They are not, however, actualy race seats.

Ara Vahan Tucker

(Soon to be proud owner of '72 240Z V8)

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: aravahan ]

Hey guys,

I put a set of Corbeau TargaRS in my previous Z. They were way to big and I had to remove the factory mounts and with a cage in the back half of the car it was a tight fit. The seats do lay back, but anyone much bigger than 5'10" 180 would be way to tight and uncomfortable.... You can see pics of the seats in the members rides...

Myron

I picked up a set of Corbeau Clubman seats for 199.00 each. I did't bother with the brackets, at 70.00 each, I could make up my own for the price of one and still have enough left over for a case of frosties.

With the door brace of the roll cage in place it's a tight fit, but it does fit ok.

The seats are really comfy. I'm 5'11" and around 200lbs and they are just right.

Tim

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I have been through a new set of Corbeau Sport Seats using the factory sliders and also through a set of Honda CRX Si buckets with modified Honda sliders. Neither one was compatible with my 6'4" 210 lb frame. I have a write-up and pics of both on my site at http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/hondaseat.htm

I have recently finished rebuilding stock seats with stock reproduction foam from Banzai Motorsports and had custom covers made. They look great and feel good but, again, put my head on the roof. I still have to fix this problem and must go back to the scrap yards once again.