HybridZ

Do we have any college freshman here? I have a survey...

rturbo 930

Basically I need a minimum of 10 of these filled out by college freshman. Thanks!

High School Challenge Survey: College Freshmen Spring 2010

Name: Ryan Clark Age: 19

1. How would you rate your high school experience (academically, not socially) on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a piece of cake and 10 being four years of hell?

2. In your opinion, were the college prep/AP/honors classes at your high school harder, easier, or about the same as “regular†courses?

Significantly harder (IB)

3. Did your high school experience prepare you well academically for college?

Yes, my Jr. and Sr. years of high school taking a full IB course load was much harder than anything I've taken in college so far (all major specific courses).

4. Looking back, are there any specific high school classes that you now think should have been more difficult? Which one(s)?

I feel than anything at the "standard level" should have been more difficult. I had many friends who pulled a 3.9-4.0 their senior years with very little effort due to the ease of their courses.

5. How demanding was your senior year of high school? Very demanding? Fairly demanding? Not demanding at all?

Very demanding

6. If your teachers had expected more of you in high school, would you have tried harder? Definitely. Probably, Probably not. Definitely not.

Probably

7. If you had a choice in high school, would you take the teacher with the reputation of being an easy grader (probably higher grade than you deserve, knowledge may or may not be acquired) or would you take the teacher known to be a tougher grader (definitely the grade you deserve, high level of knowledge certainly acquired)? Justify your choice.

Depends on the course, but likely the tougher grader knowing that I would learn more. My gpa in high school was high enough to take a hit and still look good on my college applications, so I did choose to take hard classes knowing that it would decrease.

8. Do you regret that you didn’t take your high school classwork more seriously?

No, but I do regret not taking my IB year-end testing more seriously.

9. Compare your academic expectations of what college courses would be like to the reality that you’ve experienced in your first year. Much easier that I expected. A little easier. About what I expected. Somewhat more difficult than I expected. Much more difficult. Give an example.

Much easier than I expected.

In my my chemistry class (am currently a chem major) both first and second semester I have been able to not attend class and still perform well due to the fact that none of the material that has been covered this year is new to me. This seems to be a motif for several classes throughout my freshman year.

IMPORTANT: Please choose one of the questions and elaborate on your answer in two one three sentences below.

I'll elaborate in an edit later this afternoon, as I just got out of class.

Hope this helps!

edit:

8. Do you regret that you didn’t take your high school classwork more seriously?

I took all of my highschool coursework seriously and got fairly decent grades (3.75 unweighted, 4.75 weighted) to show for my efforts. I feel that when the going got rough assignments and projects became a team effort between all of the IB students and we got things done. I learned just as much about people through my homework as I did about the subject being learned.

As for taking my IB tests more seriously, I felt that I had a good grip on all of the material we had learned, and was doing well on all of the practice tests, so I didn't put a ton of effort into studying. However, when test time came I found out that there was a significant amount of material from my earlier years that I didn't recall how to do perfectly. As a result I missed my IB diploma by 2 points. If I would have earned it I would have been able to transfer 32 credits to my university rather than the 8 I did. Where I'm going that translates to almost a year in tuition, housing, and other costs I missed out on because I took a few nights of test-prep off.

Edited by cockerstar

I'm a Mech-E junior but whatever, close enough.

Name: Sean Wright Age: 21

1. How would you rate your high school experience (academically, not socially) on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a piece of cake and 10 being four years of hell?

2. In your opinion, were the college prep/AP/honors classes at your high school harder, easier, or about the same as “regular†courses?

Slightly harder

Not in the least.

4. Looking back, are there any specific high school classes that you now think should have been more difficult? Which one(s)?

All of junior/senior year need to be more collegiate.

5. How demanding was your senior year of high school? Very demanding? Fairly demanding? Not demanding at all?

Not at all demanding. I easily worked 40 hours per week in addition to keeping up in school.

6. If your teachers had expected more of you in high school, would you have tried harder? Definitely. Probably, Probably not. Definitely not.

Probably not. I only did what I needed for a grade, nothing more.

7. If you had a choice in high school, would you take the teacher with the reputation of being an easy grader (probably higher grade than you deserve, knowledge may or may not be acquired) or would you take the teacher known to be a tougher grader (definitely the grade you deserve, high level of knowledge certainly acquired)? Justify your choice.

I definitely would have taken the easy grader. I was a lazy little **** throughout both the private and public schools I attended.

Not really. The knowledge to be had in high school pales in comparison to what can be learned in college, assuming one pays attention. I got just good enough grades to land a scholarship, and that was as far as I cared.

9. Compare your academic expectations of what college courses would be like to the reality that you’ve experienced in your first year. Much easier that I expected. A little easier. About what I expected. Somewhat more difficult than I expected. Much more difficult. Give an example.

College classes were (are) far more difficult than I ever expected, but in ways I never thought. The material is challenging but never impossible. The real struggle (for me) is doing my work and studying when I should. Homework is worth next to nothing (or is often not even graded), so it's very easy to blow off assignments, look over the book the night before the test and think you know what's up, and then fall flat on your face during the exam (of which there are often only two per semester). The only way to get As in my classes is to do all my homework on time, and make sure I know every concept/formula/fact very well in advance of the exam.

IMPORTANT: Please choose one of the questions and elaborate on your answer in two one three sentences below.

Elaborating on No. 4: Students should be weened off heavily-weighted homework and in-class assignments. It was very easy to pass classes simply by showing up, filling out worksheets, doing five minutes worth of homework, and just barely squeaking by on tests. This will NOT fly in college, one needs to have the correct study habits to do homework fully and study for tests in advance with no immediate grading rewards other than doing well on the tests, which should be worth much more.

Edited by X64v

Name Jeff Sammarco Age 19

harder

yes

nope

fairly demanding

probably not.

easy grader, I didn't think I would learn anything useful from either class. I learned much more useful things from electives I took for fun than any required course.

Not at all.

College courses are much easier than I expected. I was told I would need to spend 2hrs studying for every hr of class, I have maybe studied an hr total for each class during the entire semester and have better (much) than a 3.00. In high school I didn't do my homework (except in Spanish, will explain later) I got A's on every test and usually got a B in the class when homework was factored in. I was completely incompetent in Spanish so I did my homework everyday and failed every test(One year I literally had a <60% average on tests, I squeaked by with a C for the two years I was forced to take it.

Edited by at-jefft

Thanks, Sean and Jeff!

Jeff, sorry if I missed it, but since I don't see it, make sure you answer the last question - kind of an unofficial question but this is it:

Thanks! :)

Basically I need a minimum of 10 of these filled out by college freshman. Thanks!

If it matters i'm an Electrical Eng Sophmore actaully

Name _Richard Day________________________________ __________________ Age _20_____

harder, but I couldn't tell really

yes

not really, but you got to schedule for classes if you had all your base "credits/requirements" done. I picked a ton of easy classes, like cooking, autoshop, etc

not demanding at all, had all the major stuff out of the way and got to kick back

probably

tougher grader, mostly because that was a course I wanted. The "easy" graders were for the kids who couldn't do algebra as a senior

no I got my 4.0

College courses are easier than I expected, but its still pretty hard material. I've probably studied more for my Advanced Engineering Math and Fluids classes but the material keeps me so captivated. It's harder to get stuff done, since you pretty much have freedom all the time.

number 2. I was put into the "gifted and talented" program in 6th grade, so all my math/science courses were honors by default. Basically when I got to high school I was used to the math, and was still in the same class as in 6th grade, we all knew each other. It was hard for me to realize that people really couldn't do basic geometry and pre-algebra as a senior.

Name: Josh Barnard Age 19

**I give it a 3. Effort exerted to make A's in difficult classes, was minimal.

**No, unless you took Physics C and Calculus AB/BC because it was really two courses cramped into a one course session.

**Some of it did but to be honest, it barely helped, which is why I am not an A student in college. I have to fight for B's... :o I brought over my organization and writing skills. The one thing that bit me is that college split our friend group up. We would do work together all the time in the more difficult classes. Now in college, the only person I know is my girlfriend. I try to make friends/study groups within the class and it works but then you have to start all over again the following semester when you have new people. For a while there were about 7 of us that all had the same MAE classes at the same time but after taking calculus, only one of us passed, which separated us all in different directions.

**Physics C should have been more difficult. Our teacher knew us 2 years prior to the class because he taught entry level Physics too. This meant we received a lot of special favors, and a lot of days when the A/C wouldn't vent into our room, so we took a class field trip outside to play baseball. It was our "kinematics" lesson. ;)

**Fairly demanding. Keeping up with Calculus was a task. Contrary to my calender utilizing skills, I am horrible at time management. I would get home and goof off until about 1AM and then I would start homework which would take longer because I was tired, and I would be up until 4AM. There was never a time where I didn't turn in my work, it was just painful to do it though. The same for Physics. Our friend group would meet up and first thing we did was raid the kitchen after school, then we would listen to music and talk or watch some Schwarzenegger movie until it was late. High school was really a testing grounds for my stamina. Because the consequences weren't severe, I had the opportunity to see what sort of sleep my body could handle. For instance, I tend to sleep in 4 hour intervals. If I had to wake up at 8, and I went to bed at 5, I knew I was going to be late. If I went to bed at 4, I would wake up on time. If I went to bed at 2, I would wake up at 10 going "what happened?"

**Yes because A's and B's were expected of me. You did what you had to do to make those grades.

**Easier because one thing I learned is that most school want you to take their classes, unless you AP test out of them. I took Calculus 1 and 2 in high school, didn't AP test out, but I did make a B in the class. They had me take a math test, if you got the highest percentile, you got to skip all the other algebra classes and start with Calculus 1, where they teach you it from the very beginning. For a while I was on top of my game since I already knew everything. I was good at Calc. 1, horrible at Calc. 2. Then the college Calc. 1 started hitting some weird concepts that we didn't learn in high school, not because she wasn't strict, because she was, but because from what I've heard UTA teaches their Calc. courses as if you are going to be a mathematician, not an engineer. You get a lot of obscure theories and stuff that you usually wouldn't apply. It became so bizarre that out of about 110 students who enrolled, by the drop date, half the class was gone, and after the final exam, about 15 students passed.

**No. I made my good grades without cheating or foul play. In fact I was the poor kid who never had the cheat sheet passed to him. We would either run out of time before it got to me, or I wasn't popular enough/in that group to use it, and quite frankly, I'm blind as a bat so I couldn't even see normal sized handwriting more than 3 feet from my face anyway. :D Honestly, if I could cheat I would. Some classes I was only being supported by my test average or by my homework average. In the end it worked out fine, but of course when I take a test and I am absolutely lost, I would freak out and want to cheat.

**Somewhat more difficult than I expected. I expected to stroll through like high school but after doing poorly I figured that it was due to a mix of things. No friend group to lean on if you are having a hard time. Another thing that got me big time was that during freshman orientation, they had is sign up for our classes right there. Our advisers gave us a flow chart showing what courses to take our first semester, and we applied. This is the reason why 7 of us all had the exact same schedule. The problem was that because we were told to get on and apply, then get off for the others to do it, we didn't take the time to check Ratemyprof.com or whatever. Subsequently I had some strange teachers. Another bugger was that out of my 18 or 19 hour semester, an already big load, I didn't realize over half my classes had labs to them too ranging from 1 hour to 3 hours. Class codes went like this: if the code for a class was say 2354. The 2 meant that it was a 2nd year sophomore class, the 3 was the credit hour (I perceived this to be 3 hours per week for this class), and the last 2 numbers are just to denote whether its history or whatever. My physics class was 14xx, 4 hours per week. We spent 4 hours in lecture, but another 4 in the lab. It bit me hard. The last thing that killed me and still does is how I study. I studied more this semester than last semester, but I guess I don't know how to study properly because I studied all day for a Macro Economics test, and I barely made a C. I don't udnerstand.

Oh and by the way, I'm on academic probation right now because I failed Calculus. They take your overall GPA, then just your science + math GPA, then all your other classes like history + english + economics GPA. If any of these 3 GPA's falls below I think a 2.0 then you are on probation which means you can only take up to 14 hours next semester, and you must take a mandatory 1 hour course which teaches your how you best learn. As I said about studying previously, this problem makes me very worried. I'm constantly scared I won't do well in school. I already failed Calculus. Luckily we are permitted 3 grade exclusions which means the course will be excluded from your GPA however it will still be on your transcript. even with that insurance though... I only took 14 hours this semester, none of the classes had labs, and I'm on the verge of biting the dust in 2 of the 5 classes... This means in 2 or 3 weeks when finals come around, I have to do well. Part of me says "well I just have to make a C or higher to be ok, thats not too bad" but then I think about how I studied vigorously for Econ and History yet I didn't even make a B. Its discouraging. Typically in high school, that first test is horrible, however district policy said anything lower than a 70 on a test, we can make up, and score a 70 at best. This was a trial ground to see what the teacher wanted from you, how they graded, etc. In college, you ahve maybe 3 or 4 tests, if you're lucky you will have a quiz and homework average to do well in to support you if you make a bad test grade. The high school plan doesn't work anymore. You have to do well right out of the gate, but I don't understand how that can be achieved all the time when teachers will have certain expectations. The only thing that even comforts me is what my buddy told me. He said his dad had told him "In college, you will have an occasional failure whether it be a screw up on your part, a hard test, or the teacher just screws you over", doesn't sound helpful at all, but then he told me about his big brothers buddies who didn't do too swell freshman year, but graduated with over a 3.0, and they didn't have the grade exclusion like I did. They had to balls up and take the failing grade. So what I keep telling myself is that these little shmoo courses that I have to take now will soon be over and then I can work on my degree stuff where the Professor actually knows my name and will walk me through any difficulties.

/end rant. As you can see, I'm very worried, we'll see how it goes.

Hope this helps. ;)

Edited by josh817

Thanks guys! Just so you all know, this is for a class at 12:15 tomorrow, so if you'd like to help me out, try to get it done tonight, by about 1AM EST.

Josh, that is definitely the most detailed one I've gotten, haha. FWIW though, I can sympathize. I'm on academic probation, not sure how it's gonna go. I f'd up a Chem quiz yesterday I should have gotten 100% on (and needed to), my Programming teacher is a ******* lunatic, and the other two classes, I should do okay in, but I need to do better than "okay" to stay in school... unless I have some sort of epiphany where I can suddenly force myself to do school work for hours on end, and get 100% on everything going forward, I'm probably going to have to go to a hearing or whatever it is to stay in school (if they're nice).

On top of at least one learning disability, I am also absolutely horrible at time management. Combined with being unmotivated for who knows what reason, and add in a little laziness, well, it doesn't work out.

I've never been a good student, for one reason or another...

Just read your response to #4... I used to do that. Eventually I got sleep deprived and started realizing that after a certain point it just wasn't going to get done, and would just go to sleep. The bonus was that now I wasn't (as) sleep deprived... but my homework still wasn't done.

Edited by rturbo 930

Name ____Bob D.______________________________________________ __________________ Age ____20______

Maybe a 2, it was pretty easy

No, they were either not required or very similar. The one I took, pre-calc, was just as easy, it just extended farther into mathematics.

I'd say so, In my first year I had a ~3.3. Second year I slacked and brought the overall down to a 2.9. At no time was I really missing any information I needed to do well in a class.

Probably math, but it could just be that I was good at it, I slacked really hard in that class, never did any homework and took regular naps, and got A's. I'm now in my 5th semester of college math(linear algebra and matrices+boundary value problems to be specific).

It was easy, didn't take much effort at all.

I probably would have continued to try and maintain the B+ I had.

Then? The easy grader. Now? Probably the easy grade, but I'd try to learn the material better than I would have otherwise.

No, my highschool knowledge served me pretty well.

It was pretty much what I expected. It was more challenging than highschool, but I wanted to do it more because I picked the subjects for the most part. The workload was much more demanding, it was the first time I had to pull a near all-nighter.

I'm in my 3rd year of mechanical engineering and I'm still pretty bad with time management.