HybridZ

side pipes

I had side pipes on my 1970 AMX back in the day. They looked cool, but I pulled them after a few months. Too many burned legs from forgetting to step over them on the way out, the constant fumes and heat rolling in the open window and the noise got to be too much.

Edited by deja

Having collected dozens of photos of various side exhaust set-ups, I agree that it probably comes down to possible weight savings and looks as bens1088 said, as well as possibly fewer bends, less material and easier to do true duals as netrix said. I suspect that the heat issue (burning one's leg) could be solved or at least minimized with some of today's heat wraps which likely would also help a bit with the noise. I love the way they look and have wondered about tucking a wrapped exhaust into a well-braced rocker panel area to minimize road clearance issues. Ranging from fully exposed pipes like some Corvettes and the Cobra Daytona Coupe had to exhausts with only the exhaust tips visible (like Darius), side exhausts sure have been tried on a lot of cars over the years.

Regards,

John

I am seriously considering side pipes on my 240 with a sbc. Part of my thought process involves being able to retain the stock spare tire well and gas tank. Every Z picture I have collected that has dual exhaust has the exhaust running under the rear suspension. I really don't like the idea of hitting the exhaust going over a speed bump. I know the low point of the exhaust would be right between the rear wheels mitigating the probability of bottoming out, but I really don't like things hanging down. Also having a spare tire is comforting not to mention not having to gut my floor to put in a fuel cell. The side pipes will be uber loud, but I don't hear all that well anymore so what the Hell!

I am running sidepipes for several reasons, the first being true dual exhaust ( I have patriot sidepipes that have been drilled out) and not being able to run longtube headers hopefully the engine will breathe better. Second, if I ran dual exhaust to the rear of the car, I would have changed over to fuel cell and fabrication and more money ! - Sidepipes eliminated my fuel tank issue. Third, outside of buying the sidepipes, I installed, mounted and had to re-weld my O2 sensor bongs ( my little pat on the back) !! Last, I am AC Cobra, Factory Five MkIIIV, Superformance fanatic and like the look of sidepipes. Also, if the area of sidepipes that is not shielded becomes a issue with the wife and kids, I will wrap with heat wrap.

post-869-12750967711037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dudeboy

Also, if the area of sidepipes that is not shielded becomes a issue with the wife and kids, I will wrap with heat wrap.

I don't know if I'd wait for it to become an issue with the wife and kids! Nevertheless, lookin' good!

Leon,

You are right !!! My kids and wife like to touch- I will be proactive heat wrap was already on the need list.

If you are making your own sidepipes you can also buy chrome heatshields, I don't need them but they are available on Summit, I remember they were about $80 for 2 3ft shields.

I ran 40" 3" glasspaks and I don't touch the pipes getting in or out. I have them real close to the rocker panels and came through the fender to take care of the too low pipe at the frame dogleg.

Ok i see what true side pipes you guys r talking about but I dont want my pipes to run down the side of the car.Just want the ends to come out the side.I understand there may be a issue with grroung clearance but other than that it seem to work well.No worring about burning your leg or running a heat shield.post-1283-12754205697106_thumb.jpg

Ok i see what true side pipes you guys r talking about but I dont want my pipes to run down the side of the car.Just want the ends to come out the side.I understand there may be a issue with grroung clearance but other than that it seem to work well.No worring about burning your leg or running a heat shield.

Wow, that is quite a car. How much of the dogleg needs to be cut away for that to work? Worrys me a bit because that is a very structural part of the car. (I see above car has a full cage so not a problem, but without a cage...)

rickdench,

Take a look at drgas.com or .net. I played with the idea of a nascar type exhaust utilizing square tubing. A bit on the expensive side, but if I get the opportunity and money to do this again drgas nascar exhaust will be the route I go.

Edited by Dudeboy

On my side pipe install I did not notch the dog legs, Using the Sanderson block huggers I was able to route the exhaust at the high point of the dog leg frame near the Tension rod nuts and washer, I welded a plate to protect the tension rod bushings from the exhaust heat and then cut holes in the fenders at the rocker panel height. My exhaust has no clearance issues as is not the lowest point of my car.

For pipes running underneath and exiting just before the rear wheels you will have clearance issues as it will hang below the frame rails. If you run along the floor pan it will still hang lower if you have to cross the frame rails if you run the pipes down the tunnel. I looked into using square/ rectangular tubing but still thought it would hang too low or heat up the floor too much.

Greg