HybridZ

Just got my first Z!!

Hi Guys!

My name is Josh and I am in Sacramento, CA. I just picked up this 73 Z and it already has had an older Chevy 350 v8 swapped into it. I bought it locally off of Craigslist.

specs:

older 350

fuely heads with SS 2.02 valves

1:6 roller rockers

Some kind of cam

full 3" custom exhaust

Accell HEI distributor

single wire 100amp alternator

built th350 trans w/shift kit and 2600rpm stall converter (which will be comming out next week in favor of a 5spd manual)

the rear diff is not in the best of shape as I believe it to be a 180 that the PO welded up the gears in since he drag raced it often. I will most likely be looking to you folks on this board for rear end swapping info. I found a lot of helpful info on this site already!!

I have swapped a few cars to 5spd already so this part I should be able to handle on my own.

I also will be replacing the floorpans and some portions or the front subframe which has some rust issues.

Also plan to get full coilovers and camber plates either from an s13 or DC2 integra.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car a couple of days after I got it. I had to remove the hood and rediculously massive snorkel scoop that it came on the car. Also removed the drag car weld wheels and borrowed a set of wheels from a friend. I ordered aa set of the 17x9.5 Rota RBR in black and they should be here in the next couple of days. I have already replaced the OEM headlights with aftermarket h4 conversion cheapos and will be adding 8k HID units next week and am still waiting for my fender mount mirrors to get here from Thailand. I may also be replacing the engine mount plate that was used to mount the motor in the car since it looks janky and is only welded to sheetmetal.

By the way does anyone know where I can buy replacement engine plate mount bushings to use until I make actual engine mounts and get rid of the plate all together? the ones in it right now look shot.

4614305558_32347670a6_b.jpg

4614308802_1603b35290_b.jpg

Edited by jrb1449

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to HybridZ. You'll be able to find a lot of information regarding these cars here. To save you from getting bashed on, highly suggest you use the search function before posting up any questions. A lot of them have been answered thousands of time and some people get really mad when they see it again. For your coilover choice, I would rather go with S13 coils than a DC2. Just my opinion though. =Great find and I hope you enjoy the Z :D

Mounting the V8 in the car does not need the plates you are talking about.

Jags that run makes a book and sells a kit that allows you to bolt to block (at the stock motor mount points) to the crossmember. I think I have pics of it in my cardomain ( I do, passengerside of the LT1 motor, first V8 pic http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3850338/2 )

Getting the bellhousing out without pulling the motor in this swap is tricky. I have to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold, unbolt the passenger side cross member, loosen the driver's side cross member, support the motor, jack the car up from the passenger side until you can access the upper passengerside bellhousing bolt. Also, if you go to the T5, look for the T5 pull type slave cyl thread.

Good luck

Thanks guys!

I am totally search capable and have been lurking this site for a few days now just searching kinds of stuff and questions that I needed answered.

I was able to get the 5spd pedal asembly and clutch hydro line from PNP(from the Z) but as for the trans it looks like I'm S.O.L. I could only find 6cyl 5spd camaros and if I remember correctly it isn't the right one to use with my 350 v8. It looks like the 305v8/t5 combo was not all too popular. I found one out of 7 different PNP yards but someone decided to take it all apart and string it all over the ground! All of the v8 Camaros I found were autos. :(

So for now it looks like I will just work on cleaning it up and painting it as well as start working on the suspension.

I did get another stock r180 from PNP for $50 as it was %50 everything this weekend. I am going to weld it up and throw it in as mine is making some nasty noises. I really want longer gears to lower my freeway RPMs. At 65mph I am at about 3500rpm. Hopefully with the 17" wheels I am getting will be taller reducing the RPMs.

We will see.

Nice car. I was thinking about purchasing this car 2 weeks ago, but then I came across a 73 240z l28et. I just bought it 3 days ago in Sac for what I think is a great deal. I bought it for 2,500. It's also my first 240z and I love it.

I just started painting the car with the roll on paint job! lol. Its atually not looking too bad. It should be done by the end of the week.

Thursday I am going to the bay to pick up my Gold Rota RBR's. I think some 205/40 r17s will look good.

I also found why I didnt do so well at the track last wednesday. It looks like my distributor was loose! I replaced it with a new accel unit like three days after buying the car as the one that came in it took a crap.

I only ran a 13.8 last wednesday. I just wanted to see what it could do and the guy i got it from said it ran 13.5's so he was probably right since he had 235/60s on the back when I bought it. I took them off and have 205/50s on there for the time being. I don't care. I didn't get it for drag racing anyway.

I just need to figure out this gearing thing so I can be at a lower RPM on the freeway! Hopefully the new rims and tire will help with that. As for the rear end I am just going to weld up the other stock 73 auto 180 diff I already have and rock that for now.

Hopefully I didn't miss this and it was already asked or said. What wheels are those? I REALLY like them.

Oh and just so you know. Your car is enough of the cool factor to at least make it on my desktop.

Edited by ModernS30

Thanks guys!

I am borrowing them from my friend until I get my wheels later this week. Hahaha. To tell you neither of us know the brand. It may say on the back of the rim but neither of us even looked.

I will be getting my wheels thursday and will take these ones off. I will see what I can find out about them.

I am about halfway through painting the car and I think it should turn out pretty good for about a $75 roll on paint job. lol. My fender mirrors came in from the PI too so after painting it I will put them on.

I hope to be done with paint and everything and have the mirrors and wheels on by this weekend so I can drive it to the 40th Aniverssary at Infineon this Sunday!

Josh

post-11875-12755302602518_thumb.jpg

post-11875-12755302715341_thumb.jpg

Make sure you don't buy any integra coilovers. They are not a strut design and besides having pivots at the bottom, are not designed to take any side load at all. I'm sure you have done some research by now but figured I would mention it just in case. Car looks like a good project, have fun!

I appreciate the info but have decided to wait for more info on the Stance coilovers. I can always find tons of use s13 coilovers and just use the threaded serialnine tubes. I'm just going to wait a little bit.

I picked up my rims from Kim at Cosmic a couple of hours ago. I'm going to a bday party tonight in the city. I wish we were headed back home. I really want to see what they look like with 205/40 17s on my car!