HybridZ

Just got my first Z!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Z, Tho for a daily driver you shouldn't weld the gears, unless you like farkin up your tires. you should just go with a R200 out of a late 80's Turbo 300zx. Look in the forums about diffs'.

Phar

Can you please post up facts...how many cars have you had with welded diffs, also how much more life do you think you would get out of those tires when his car has a V8 and only one tire spins? Also "just go with a r200 out of some kinda nissan blarggg" isnt very helpful, he says he can search and he needs alot more than just a dif. Please be more specific on suggestions and get back with me on the "welded difs ruin tires" story you have going.

I have been to lazy to finish my paintjob. I did test fit the new wheels and tires as well as the mirrors.

I need bigger spacers for the rear. Right now I have 25-30mm bolt on H&R's in the rear and could probably go another 25mm or so. The fronts have a 5-10mm (1/4") spacer. The rims are all four 17x9.5 -19's. The tires are 205/40 r17's.

As for the gearing issue. I was thinking the 17's would be overall bigger that the 15's I had. I was wrong. They are only like maybe 1" bigger in diameter. It still screams down the freeway. :( I will just have to wait for a T-5 I gues cause it looks like the gears in the automatic 73 240 are the lowest available for the r180. I may also try to pick up an r200 if I can find one with long gears. like a 3.20 or something.

I did also weld on a new Jones racing muffler with a straght through design yesterday and it is probably too loud now but sounds good.

post-11875-127577916481_thumb.jpg

post-11875-12757791742802_thumb.jpg

post-11875-12757791851454_thumb.jpg

post-11875-12757791973692_thumb.jpg

post-11875-1275779575312_thumb.jpg

post-11875-12757795864588_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrb1449

I'd be worried about those tires peeling off as you corner. It would be a shame to ruin the new wheels if the bead unseated. I'm sure that some 235's or 245's would fit much better.

Bead unseated? That bead has never been seated. Who put the tires on? I can't image a tire store would touch that.

I picked up some seats for the Z.

They are a little taller than stock with the sliders. I am going to try them out and if they feel like they are sitting up to high I may just have to go to town on cutting out the OEM seat braces and mount them to the floor directly. I figure I could just use some 1/4 flatbar for reinforcement. We shall see, for now they are in the car.

post-11875-12766162415206_thumb.jpg

I have been to lazy to finish my paintjob. I did test fit the new wheels and tires as well as the mirrors.

I need bigger spacers for the rear. Right now I have 25-30mm bolt on H&R's in the rear and could probably go another 25mm or so. The fronts have a 5-10mm (1/4") spacer. The rims are all four 17x9.5 -19's. The tires are 205/40 r17's.

As for the gearing issue. I was thinking the 17's would be overall bigger that the 15's I had. I was wrong. They are only like maybe 1" bigger in diameter. It still screams down the freeway. :( I will just have to wait for a T-5 I gues cause it looks like the gears in the automatic 73 240 are the lowest available for the r180. I may also try to pick up an r200 if I can find one with long gears. like a 3.20 or something.

I did also weld on a new Jones racing muffler with a straght through design yesterday and it is probably too loud now but sounds good.

How is that tire holding air????

How is that tire holding air????

HAHA... The bead is seated. The tire is stretched on. Its the same as the old 13x6.5 reverse wires lowriders have been rolling for years except with less fatty sidewalls.

Its funny that everyone is amazed and is sooooo sure they will blowout! LOL. This isn't my first rodeo folks.

I almost bought a set like that, let me know how they fit and I might call the guy again.

Sweet z!

They fit in the car fine. The only problem is that I am 6'1" and about 275lbs. I drilled a couple of holes and they bolted right into the car. I may need to take them back out and actually cut the bracing out of the floorboard and mont these suckers to the floor. I don't like feeling bigger than I already am in this car. With them mounted in the stock location they are a little too high for me (ie: legs too close to the wheel)

Can you please post up facts...how many cars have you had with welded diffs, also how much more life do you think you would get out of those tires when his car has a V8 and only one tire spins? Also "just go with a r200 out of some kinda nissan blarggg" isnt very helpful, he says he can search and he needs alot more than just a dif. Please be more specific on suggestions and get back with me on the "welded difs ruin tires" story you have going.

Well, okay, A couple of specifics. Welded gears eliminate the function of the differential, Any corner you go around you'll wear yout tires unevenly on the outside edges, and shorten the life of the tire. I've had welded gears for years on my 4x4. If you don't mind buying new tires every 10-15K miles, then go ahead. A limited slip R200 is availble out of most 86-89 Z31 Turbo models. This is much preferred to welding the gears, and is a lot less redneck. I said to search, because this is covered in a lot of threads. Sure Welded gears will work to put the power to the ground, but on a driver I wouldn't recommend it, especially with tires that are that stretched. (I would also prefer to see 215's or 225's on those rims) All that being said, Sticky280ZX, you should use the search field more often yourself. Might edumacate yerself...