HybridZ

Craigslist shenanagins

z2go

I am tired of Craigslist lowballers and poor email etiquette. So, instead of rant and rave (well, in addition to ranting and raving), I decided to strike back. Here is the setting: I posted my 80's style Supra rims on Craigslist for 200 dollars. Here is the email chain, copied word for word, in all of its glorious formatting:

Him:

will u take $150 for wheels

Me:

175 and you have a deal.

(After a week with no reply, I thought, what the hell, lets have some fun.)

Me:

How about 100?

Him (after less than an hour):

100 yea,let me get a #

Me:

Actually, I think that might be too much, can you do $50?

Him:

?????????so u want $50 for the rims.got any pic's.when can u meet up.where are u located

Me:

Nah man, I want $200. $50 per rim. They're like the craigslist picture, just four of them instead of one.

Him:

naw its cool,ur wheels aint worth 50each.i could piece it it at pick n pull for 20 each.for 200 i find a clean set with tires in craigslist ,good luck with ur sell......

Me:

Are you not from here? I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying.

Him:

i was driving and emailing u at the same time.i said,good luck with ur sell....cause i wont pay $50 for 1 wheel.the way they look on the pic's.because someone has another set of 5 with tires on craigslist for a good deal.don't get mad tho.....u were the one saying $175 then $100 then $50....read ur email correct.but thanks anyways.

Me:

No, I was just commenting on your poor use of grammar and punctuation. I'll go ahead and lay it out for you... I thought it was funny that you first lowballed me for 150, and when I said 175, you didn't email me back, go figure. I figured you were a typical craigslist lowballer, I thought I would **** with you and ask if you would do 100... who lowballs themselves? Funny, because you responded, accepting 100. So, why not lower it to 50 total? I mean, who am I to actually want my asking price? I mean, the wheels CAN'T POSSIBLY be worth what I'm asking, why would I expect to get what I think they are worth??! Funny how you were quick to bite on my obviously disingenuous offers of even less than what you offered me in the first place. We all had a good laugh over here, though. Thanks!

i don't understand....you'd be an idiot to not ask for a lower price, esp on a site like craigslist...if he doesn't feel they are worth $175 then so what? it's not like you are selling something of obvious great value. based on your response...was he the only person to respond to the ad?

Edited by Bobby C.

I just hate when they call and automatically ask for a lower price. I agree to it and they don't show up! :fmad:

This is the one that irritates me, and this is the kind of guy here. It's not so much the lower price, it's the automatic cheapness factor. I actually wouldn't mind if he saw them first, and THEN asked if I would take 150. I probably would.

I always haggle a little. You should expect it. If I had tons of money I wouldn't be buying peoples refuse on Craigslist. But I am broke, so I do.

Sure its lame that people offer with no intention of buying. But there's nothing we can do about that.

Edited by xonix_digital

I always haggle a little. You should expect it. If I had tons of money I wouldn't be buying peoples refuse on Craigslist. But I am broke, so I do.

Sure its lame that people offer with no intention of buying. But there's nothing we can do about that.

I totally agree. By him not responding to your 175 offer, its implied he wasn't interested. Why email him after a week just to mess with him and insult him? That was pointless and childish. Negotiations will always happen when selling parts...its a given.

A guy ion craigslist a few years ago wanted $1800 for a pair of Z cars. Both crashed in teh front and have been sitting in a garage for 20+ years. He was like 5hrs away and I called and told him I would give him $800 site unseen. He got mad and said if I were to sell them for any less than $1000 I would just part them out. I said cool, well you have my number so call me if you change your mind. Over the course of 3-4 months I saw the posting go from $1800 to $1200 to $800 then to $500. Gave him a call and said I was on my way. Guess he should have taken my first offer.

I totally agree. By him not responding to your 175 offer, its implied he wasn't interested. Why email him after a week just to mess with him and insult him? That was pointless and childish. Negotiations will always happen when selling parts...its a given.

It was the email etiquitte that bothered me the most, not the price, as I already stated. Pointless and childish? The dude is still emailing me with his hard to understand, ignorant sounding emails. The point was, I didn't respect the guy in the first place, why should I worry about insulting him? The same thing that goes for this forum, I believe in for everything else. Your written correspondence says a lot about you, good or bad.

It was the email etiquitte that bothered me the most, not the price, as I already stated. Pointless and childish? The dude is still emailing me with his hard to understand, ignorant sounding emails. The point was, I didn't respect the guy in the first place, why should I worry about insulting him? The same thing that goes for this forum, I believe in for everything else. Your written correspondence says a lot about you, good or bad.

This is my opinion, not bashing you in anyway.

Your point is valid ONLY because this is important to you. (Email etiquette, written response).

Your judging him based these two things, which one may not be important to him at all, and two, he may be incapable of having. (Don't know his education, background, age, etc., lots of factors).

Lastly, you’re selling an item on Craigslist. Unless you have never sold something on Craiglist, EVERYONE knows to expect the dumbest, cheapest, ugliest, degenerate you have ever had the encounter of meeting with. If you’re looking for someone intelligent, sell them on eBay, but not always either.

This is my opinion, not bashing you in anyway.

Your point is valid ONLY because this is important to you. (Email etiquette, written response).

Your judging him based these two things, which one may not be important to him at all, and two, he may be incapable of having. (Don't know his education, background, age, etc., lots of factors).

Lastly, you’re selling an item on Craigslist. Unless you have never sold something on Craiglist, EVERYONE knows to expect the dumbest, cheapest, ugliest, degenerate you have ever had the encounter of meeting with. If you’re looking for someone intelligent, sell them on eBay, but not always either.

You have a good point! I shouldn't expect any better on craigslist. Shame on me!

I did have fun at his expense, but I guess its like road rage... there is no point to it, no matter how it makes you feel.