HybridZ

Looking for a good rotary tool

Hi all, I am in the market for a decent rotary tool. I just wanted something to do a little clean up on an intake I bought (shaving unused stud holes, smoothing casting flash, etc). I have been looking at some of the Dremels and the Proxxon tools, but have come across alot of mixed reviews on both. Are they adequate for the job? Or should I be looking for something a bit more powerful (and $$$) like the Foredom tools. Thanks for any info.

Hi all, I am in the market for a decent rotary tool. I just wanted something to do a little clean up on an intake I bought (shaving unused stud holes, smoothing casting flash, etc). I have been looking at some of the Dremels and the Proxxon tools, but have come across alot of mixed reviews on both. Are they adequate for the job? Or should I be looking for something a bit more powerful (and $$$) like the Foredom tools. Thanks for any info.

If its a one-time job then a less powerful tool will get you through. If you're going to do a few of these or foresee other uses for a nice air die grinder then its worth spending the money.

My standard answer is to find an old washing machine motor, shaft coupler, and hook it to a flexible shaft with a collett on the end. Much like a Foredom, but low speed. It allows turning of larger diameter sanding drums. I have had this setup for years (like since 1985) when I put it together, and has been a great little tool. I liked it because the lower speed was easier for me to control in the beginning, and the chances of making a mistake with a high-speed tool was less.

If you can find the components.

Now I have air tools, electric die grinders, and the old standby. When I do heavy stock removal I have the old washing machine motor and coarse carbide burr to do the heavy hogging, then the fine burrs on the electric die grinder, and finally my smoothing is done with air and cartridge rolls.

Harbor Freight makes a lot of this stuff affordable. I won't use a Dremel-Style Tool on anything but plastic again. I'm either too impatient, or they simply burn out too easily. Or I got used to being able to bear down to remove stock with my washing machine motor...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I picked up a rotary tool in Target for about $20 and i love it. I used to own a Dremel brand and i let someone borrow it and never got it back. Before my purchase I did compare the 2 and they were too alike. The Target one came with more accessories and it accepts Dreme brand accessories. Its adjustable 10speed (i think it was 10 speeds, might have been 6). It is in storage right now so i cant check for ya. I use it on SBC intake manifolds, and I used to use it on my BMW e30 intakes and turbo housings and a few custom guage panels that I have done. I just thought that I would chime in with my $.02 .. If i recall it also came with the flex shaft that i love so much and has not removed since the day i purchased the tool.