My new daily driver selection.

cygnusx1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't be so sure about that one... BMWs are not immune to this economy... Resale on my business partner's 2005 5 series was pretty bad when he priced it...

And don't even get me started on how much prices dropped on Porsche Turbos...

Mike

Very true Mike.  But would you rather drive a depreciating Accord???

Honda has the highest re-sale in the business pretty much.

Yawn.

Don't get me wrong.  I like Hondas.  They are good for something.  My wife loves her Odyssey and my parents drive an 07 Accord.  This morning my dad took my 330xi for a spin and when he came back, he turned to my mom and said: "Maybe we'll sell the Honda and get one too?".   LOL.

Edited by cygnusx1

Absolutely, the low resale on the domestics and some of the euro cars makes for some great deals if you are willing to possibly eat some reliability.  I will trade some reliability, for joy behind the wheel, any day.  There are also some inexpensive cars out there that are a blast to drive.  In this market, second and third hand, is chock full of choices.  I considered the final gen Holden/GTO's as well.  I just need the AWD, the warranty, and some fun.  It's not real level around here.   ;)  

Edited by cygnusx1

Couldn't have said it better...

Look when I bought my 996TT in 2007 I paid $71K for it. Two years later it was in the upper $50s. Fortunately the drop bottomed and the Porsche market has stabilized... The comment that caused me to chime in was about how much your BMW didn't depreciate as compared to a relative's Chevy... It's just not true. Enjoy your car because it's what you want. But don't fool yourself into thinking a BMW is going to hold some mystical value. We're getting "charged" the samee exact insurance rate for our 13 year old 328iS as we are the 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE we just bought... The "value" might well be in what your insurance premiums "hold".

Don't you hate when facts ruin a good buy? I live it every day! :lol:

Mike

We wont debate the Yawn factor but a 95 Accord is still worth far more than a 95 grand am or pretty much everything else in its class. Glad you are enjoying the Bimmer.

I considered the final gen Holden/GTO's as well.  I just need the AWD, the warranty, and some fun.  It's not real level around here.   ;)  

Holden made some AWD V8 sports pickups and wagons using the same base Commodore chassis, lengthened, as what the GTO/Monaro chassis was based on. Pity they didn't get exported to the US like the GTO did.

Edited by kiwi303

Actually my point was never that a BMW holds a value better than any other car.  I'm smart enough to know that it's a case by case thing, dependent on local economy.  My point was that if you are going to lose $XXXk/year on a car...pick your poison, they almost all are bad investments.  Common knowledge that brand new cars take the largest hit in their first few years.  You take a smaller hit if you get onboard the curve AFTER the car has "adjusted" to being a used car.  On another note, with the lease turn-in rates being very high on these euro-luxo-sports-sedans from the "golden years gone by", the dealers are bending over to keep the lots clear.  

Look, if I drive an Equinox off the lot, brand new, and then go to sell it in two years...I might as well have rented a car on a weekly basis (slight exaggeration to make a point).  You can get a 2007 335xi (twin turbo) CPO BMW right now for $24-$27k, with less than 40k miles, with a 6yr/100k mile warranty.  That is A LOT of car for the money and in two years with average use, you may not even lose near $10k.  If you do lose that much, at least you rented a cool car.   ;)

Let me clarify my initial comparison which was hidden behind an Equinox and a 330xi...you will lose less money in the long term with a slightly used version of almost anything resembling a car...and Mike, at least you weren't the original buyer of that Porsche.  How much was it new?

Edited by cygnusx1

Dave, That 335 was in the upper $40's starting and in the $50s well equipped 3 years ago. In two years that car will sell in the teens. My Business Partner bought his 2005 E90 loaded two years ago for $32K and now NADA is pretty low, considering...

My 996TT was $142K new in 2001. So I got it 6 years later for half price with about $30K in mods/extras. Still... Prices are in the toilet. Those prices are the reason we bought my wife a new Hyundai... I'm not complaining because I inherited her E36 to drive daily. But again, it's really hard to move "cars" right now... New cars are much more attractive with some of the incentives... Toyota is offering ZERO financing. Hyundai gave us 2.9% financing. When you look at the cost to own new vs. used on any car, it's just tough in the car market these days!

Enjoy your car because it's what you wanted... That's ultimately what matters!!

Mike

Actually my point was never that a BMW holds a value better than any other car.  I'm smart enough to know that it's a case by case thing, dependent on local economy.  My point was that if you are going to lose $XXXk/year on a car...pick your poison, they almost all are bad investments.  Common knowledge that brand new cars take the largest hit in their first few years.  You take a smaller hit if you get onboard the curve AFTER the car has "adjusted" to being a used car.  On another note, with the lease turn-in rates being very high on these euro-luxo-sports-sedans from the "golden years gone by", the dealers are bending over to keep the lots clear.  

Look, if I drive an Equinox off the lot, brand new, and then go to sell it in two years...I might as well have rented a car on a weekly basis (slight exaggeration to make a point).  You can get a 2007 335xi (twin turbo) CPO BMW right now for $24-$27k, with less than 40k miles, with a 6yr/100k mile warranty.  That is A LOT of car for the money and in two years with average use, you may not even lose near $10k.  If you do lose that much, at least you rented a cool car.   ;)

Let me clarify my initial comparison which was hidden behind an Equinox and a 330xi...you will lose less money in the long term with a slightly used version of almost anything resembling a car...and Mike, at least you weren't the original buyer of that Porsche.  How much was it new?

Dave,  That 335 was in the upper $40's starting and in the $50s well equipped 3 years ago.  In two years that car will sell in the teens.  My Business Partner bought his 2005 E90 loaded two years ago for $32K and now NADA is pretty low, considering...

My 996TT was $142K new in 2001.  So I got it 6 years later for half price with about $30K in mods/extras.  Still... Prices are in the toilet.   Those prices are the reason we bought my wife a new Hyundai... I'm not complaining because I inherited her E36 to drive daily.  But again, it's really hard to move "cars" right now... New cars are much more attractive with some of the incentives... Toyota is offering ZERO financing.  Hyundai gave us 2.9% financing.  When you look at the cost to own new vs. used on any car, it's just tough in the car market these days!

Enjoy your car because it's what you wanted... That's ultimately what matters!!

Mike

Yeah but it feels good to get a $140k car for $70k doesn't it? ;)  

Edited by cygnusx1

Fortunately I don't have that problem, but still... If you try to rationalize any purchase of anything more than a Kia Rio, the math just kills ya... As transportation alone, none of the cars we're talking about are fiscally responsible "purchases"... Truth be told if I didn't track my 996TT a few times a year minimum, I'd guilt myself into selling it. It's to much car for the street and I don't feel safe leaving it parked many places...

Mike

Or it's like pouring salt in an open wound when you realize that even if the car's resale is half of original list, you're still not even close to owning it...

There is a reason the newest car I've ever owned was 3 years old... I'll let someone else lose money hand over fist on a new car purchase thank you very much!

Part of it is the economy though, not just the age of the vehicle. I've been looking at Z3 M Coupes for years, the current prices are down about $10k from where they were a couple of years ago. I have little doubt they would have been stable in a better economy, because they had already plateaued on their depreciation curve.

It's a good time to buy a sports car. :)

Richard, That MRoadster I had was one of the funnest cars I've ever owned... I still miss that car... If I could have afforded to at the time, or if Donna would have said "Keep it and I'll drive it", I'd never have sold it...

Picture344.jpg

b1_1.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

They wouldn't let me track it without installing a rollbar, and installing a bar would have required cutting up the interior... This car was simply in to good a condition with to few miles to do that to...

Mike

Richard, That MRoadster I had was one of the funnest cars I've ever owned... I still miss that car... If I could have afforded to at the time, or if Donna would have said "Keep it and I'll drive it", I'd never have sold it...

They wouldn't let me track it without installing a rollbar, and installing a bar would have required cutting up the interior... This car was simply in to good a condition with to few miles to do that to...

Mike

I've always been a coupe guy myself, been in love since they came out in 1998. Love the stance, the oddball design (a car that doesn't look like every other car out there) and the extra chassis rigidity. Nearly everyone that drove and reviewed the Z3 M coupe reviewed it as the best handling car of it's time. Pure sex as far as I am concerned!

Need to save up a few more peso's... unless someone wants to buy the Z then it can happen really quick. ;)

A nice example for sale in your neck of the woods Mike.

post-22-12770504711827_thumb.jpg

post-22-12770504794936_thumb.jpg