HybridZ

Taurus PT92?

auxilary

a local calgunner is selling a taurus pt92, don't have info yet on year manufacture, amount of rounds through it. but it's in good shape, 2 10round mags, asking 375. I asked him if he'd do 375 with xfer fees included (about $25-30), and he agreed. What are HBZ's thoughts on this? It's a beretta 92fs, since taurus bought out their Brazilian factory and continued cranking these out.

New ones sell for $559 cheapest msrp, as listed on taurus's site.

I don't own a Taurus pistol, but I knew a couple people who did. I've been out of the shooting game for a couple years now...

I have never heard any outstanding things about Taurus pistols.

Most comments I've heard revolve around, "They come with a lifetime warranty for a reason - you'll use it 2 or 3 times in the life of the firearm."

But if it's like you said (just a Beretta rebranded under Taurus) - it should be just a fine firearm.

There are a few problems that plague the Berettas though - such as: *don't quote my language here* cracking the hammer block.

But I did have a buddy who shot his father's Beretta M92 and he loved the thing (swore it was one of the nicest pistols he's shot), but mind you for his 21st b-day he wound up buying a Sig 226 instead (so I don't know how great of a pistol it actually was). I was never terribly impressed with it.

If you are looking at cheap used firearms, have you given Glock a look over?

They're good guns. I'm not a fan of the 9mm myself, I have a big ol' hand and the bigger 45 size frame guns fit me better, but for a 9mm/40 frame I think it's one of the better pointing guns this side of a CZ-75.

If you like it, go for it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Don't load +p+ loads and run through it trying to shoot major (which wont happen) with a 9mm, but ball ammo and certain HP's feed reliably and ammo's usually cheap.

Go find a range where you can rent guns and try them all. I'm not a fan of the 92, not for any particular reason, I just like others better. I was about to buy an XD then I shot one and didn't like the trigger on it at all. I ended up with a Sig P226. A lot of what makes a gun the right buy for someone is just personal preference. Try before you buy and you can find out if you like it first.

I like glocks over all. It is light.

Used to play a lot of duck hunt back in the day.

I out shot everyone at the testing range with the recruits in the navy, they asked me how did I become so good, I told them, Duck hunt.

We were suppose to shoot center of mass so I figured I'd shoot the silhouette in the head, instructor said knock that off, so I shot it in the heart, he said show off and left me alone.

I did get a little nervous seeing where some rounds were going, some did not get any further then 10ft, yikes!

Ive got a PT99, the difference is adjustable sights, PT92 has fixed sights. The difference between the Bretta and the Tarus is the safety on the Beretta is on the slide vs Taurus is on the frame. I like mine I've hd it for about 15 years now. Beretta seems to be a little smoother (qualified with the Beretta in the military) vs. the Tarus. For the price you mentioned it appears to be a decent deal provided the gun isn't worn to hell.

I swapped the grips out on mine first off and added a Uncle Mikes rubber finger grips to it also.

I recomend the gun, worst off if you don't like it you can always get your money back by selling.

I like glocks over all. It is light.

Used to play a lot of duck hunt back in the day.

I out shot everyone at the testing range with the recruits in the navy, they asked me how did I become so good, I told them, Duck hunt.

We were suppose to shoot center of mass so I figured I'd shoot the silhouette in the head, instructor said knock that off, so I shot it in the heart, he said show off and left me alone.

I did get a little nervous seeing where some rounds were going, some did not get any further then 10ft, yikes!

:lol: "Duck Hunt"

I'd parrot the question "What's the intended use?"

Edited by Tony D