HybridZ

Any tips on removing windshield?

Guest RON JONES

I have failed to remove windshields twice. So, maybe you can at least learn from my mistakes.

You're supposed to be able to use like a string a cable, dragged thru the stripping to both unseat it and plornk it to the outside. I have used this technique to successfully wedge lots of pieces of string, wire and cable into the windshield frame.

You can try prying the stripping from inside to outside. This is an excellent way to chip the outer edge of the windshield or even crack the whole thing altogether.

You can try pressing outwards on the glass as you pry with screwdrivers or whatever. But you may as well just smash the glass because it'll be a much quicker and less frustrating way to achieve the exact same result.

The technique that I have yet to try is to use a really sharp knife to cut the inner lip of the stripping completely off. In theory, this should work. But then, my track record on this is not so good, so....

I think both MSA and VB have replacement stripping.

Ron,

I also tried to remove the windshield and save the rubber...even with all the care in the world, I ended up breaking the glass...so now a NEW windshield is in my future...cheaper and easier to replace the rubber!

Tim

This is not the answer you are looking for, but I have been able to remove my windshield many times recently just simply pushing the rubber strip lip on the inside of the car, over the steel frame lip, and out toward the outside of the car. I start on the lower corner and work (very carefully) all the way around the windshield this way, never pushing too hard on the glass. The BIG secret to this.....A new weather stripping. The old ones are usually to hard and aged to do this successfully (broke two windshield with the old stripping). After I replaced the old weather stripping with a new one, I never broke another windshield.

Guest RON JONES

Thanks for all the input.I'm thinking of makeing a windsheid out of 1/8" Lexan.So If it breaks,I,m not to bumed out,but I need it to make a template for the new glass.So I need to try and get it out in one piece.I'm going to give it some thought before I go and start cuting and prying on the old gasket.I did this before on a 80 Malibu I use to have,and geting the window out was a total pain in the a$$.Broken glass all over the place and I told myself I wasn't going to go through that again.But I'm thinking of trying it.the car is geting painted and this would be the time to do it.I'm going to do the side windows,and the rear is already done,so to make it worth while on the weight savings I figure I should do the windsheild??????? :confused:

Guest 400 ci 280z

i was removing my glass with the original weather stripping in. i pryed at the edge and it started to chip and crack and got frustrated. so i picked up a 10lbs. sledge hammer and proceded to get out some anger. it was very messy though but it worked. b_hand.gif

I haven't had much luck with this either. The last time I had a window replaced I just bought the seal and called up a windshield shop. They can have you out and in, in no time, while still in your driveway for minimal dollars. Cutting the old rubber out from the back side worked for me once, but without help I broke the stupid thing trying to pick it up wrong. cry2.gif

PS, most places WON'T mess with the chrome trimming in the seal, but with some luck and some lubricant it can be done pretty easily.

Guest Anonymous

Windshield Removal:

I agree the best way to remove the windshield

is to cut the weatherstripping and carefully remove the glass. New weatherstripping is usually

a must anyway as the old one gets very brittle

and cracks.

Lexan should not be used on the street. The reason being it will be scratched by window

wipers. It can be used on the rest of the

windows, however.

Sunny

Please Ron, if this is a streetcar, don't use Lexan. It is not nearly as safe as glass. Your windshield is made up of two pieces of glass with a sheet of plastic in between. When struck by a large heavy object, like a loose tire, it is smashed but rarely penetrated. The Lexan would pop out and you get a faceful of Goodyear. Racecars that use Lexan windshields also have aluminum bars that extend vertically over them just for this reason.

This last week I saw an Audi TT on the side of the road with a completely smashed windshield. Driver was unhurt. On the opposite side of the freeway was a big old Chevy Van dragging a brake drum as he came to a stop.

The stock windshield is cheep, less than $200. Plastic surgery isn't, ask me.

Guest RON JONES

Summit,Really?I'll have to check that out.I know buying it buy the sheet is $$$ from the Glass shop.My Car dosn't see much of the street anymore Guys.thanks for being concerned.

ron

the body shop told me that the easiest and cheapest way to get the glass out is to cut out the rubber then pull the glass out of the rubber and replace the seal. worked like a charm and still have original glass ;>

piano wire works best with glass that is sealed down as teh newer cars are....

good luck

Ron,

The latest Summit catalogue I have has some new product that claims to be a scratch proof lexan. Pricey, but might be worth it for your application. If you can find it on their web site I'll dig up my catelogue and post the details.

Tim

RON

Well, I've certainly removed quite a few in my time. Seldom have broken one except when dinking around with ZX glued down glass without a an quality piece of piano wire in my tool box.

As others have said, old rubber is best to carefully cut out because it will not allow lubricants to help easy it out like the glass pros sometimes use.

You can use a strong mat knife to cut it away, but I most often use a carefully sharpened, curved hook, linoleum knife with the tip slightly rounded out before sharpening. It gives you lots of downward force cutting pressure and control at the same time.

Chief cautions are to go slow without impatience and to not pry at the corners and far edges to force the glass to let go early. Keep cutting at the top and sides until the blade appears on the backside of the glass and the glass will easily lever forward with minumum force. Next, lift upward gently at each end just enough to cause the glass to rise up out of the rubber channel it is resting in.

Take care how you set it down and where. I usually store them on there upper edge resting on a board leaning up against a building. Other times I stand them on their botton corer edges, but the later is risky because any movement of the glass edge on a rough or hard surface can cause them to chip or crack.

Hope that helps,

Eric Neyerlin - owner of ZPARTS.COM

• 2 weeks later...

Cracked my windshield this weekend...but I now know how to get the dang thing off the right way. You have to cut the weather strip up though.

Take a sharp edged razor blade, preferably a retractable blade with a handle. Cut perpendicularly to the rubber surface as deep as you can, all the way around. Next take the blade sideways and slide it under the rubber, cut as deep as you can all the way around. Do the same for the other side of the rubber, ie. body side and window side. You're cutting as if drawing an upside down "T". No need to cut from the inside of the car.

Now just rip all the upper layers of rubber off. The window will be left sitting on the inner layer of rubber but I would remove the glass in case the bottom layer gives out.

Did this last nite on the rear glass and had absolutely no problems!

Do not pry hard or you will chip, crack, or shatter the glass.

Owen

Guest zthang43

About the Lexan (or other plexiglass windshields): I thought it would be a good idea too, for weight savings, but my firefighter buddy informed me that not only is it unsafe, but it is also illegal. You must have a glass windshield. The reason (partly) is in the case of an accident where a person has to be removed through the windshield or some other window. If you are using Lexan or something like that, the firefighters can't just break the glass; it takes much more time to remove a plastic windshield.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for you guys. I live in Washington State; I don't know if the glass windshield thing is a federal or state law though so maybe it's just here.