HybridZ

Techno Toy Tuning Coilover Setup

The shop that is currently working on my engine swap is pretty much taking care of all aspects of the car. I bought Techno Toy Tuning coilovers and I'm using the Koni adjustable struts. Gabe from Techno Toy suggested we go with 200/225 spring rates. I've attached a few pictures below. I think the shop forgot about the 4 rings that were provided for welding purposes. What can be done so the car sits lower? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-5873-088033700 1277449752_thumb.jpg

post-5873-039503700 1277449765_thumb.jpg

Edited by GodZilla

Those sleevs are meant to not sit on the perches as stated above. The stock perches need to be cut off and tabs welded onto the strut tubes (carefull) for the sleeves to sit on so the car will be lower. There is a sticky around here somewhere that tells you at what point its suggested to have the tabs welded at. The only coilovers that are meant to be installed that way are the Cosmo Racing coils from ebay as the coils themselves are shorter.

time to remove and reinstall those.

here are some pics of my setup....i believe i did everything right.

sectioned(shortened) strut tube and welded sleeve. used front struts in rear and shorter MR2 struts in front.

like stated above there is a very helpful sticky

susdoorstires007.jpg

susdoorstires010.jpg

what is the benefit of using MR2 struts? and is that gen1 or gen2? do you have a pic of these installed and of the car on the ground?

Are those Ground Controls?

when you section(shorten) the strut tube, the stock struts will not fit. The front Struts are a perfect fit for the Rear and the MR2 struts are short enough to fit the front strut tube. i don't remember exactly how much they were shortened but there is a write up somewhere on hybridZ.

Sectioning(shortening) the strut tube and installing the shorter struts allows for more travel suspension travel when you lower your car. especially with coil-overs.

Im not sure what gen MR2 but the model number is HZ3099 if you're going with Tokico HP. I bought mine from JohnC at Beta Motorsports. Great price and even better service.

http://betamotorsports.com/products/products.php?cat=10

They are ground control coil over system with Black Magic coils.

Here are some pics but the car is currently stripped down, fenders are cut out for ZG flares which are not mounted so this may not be a good example of height.

let me know what you want to see and i will snap some pics for you tomorrow.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

Edited by Rimal310

Here is the current stance of the car in the front and rear.

48425022660245408310.jpg

50080817136519267149.jpg

I spoke to Gabe over at Techno Toy Tuning. He's going to send me 2" shorter springs and they are going to play around with that.

Below is sneak peek of what's happening in the engine bay. Getting very very close.

37672364213191766632.jpg

I am actually a little surprised the sleeves from Gabe fit on top of the original spring perches without cutting the sleeves. My friend ordered the coilovers from T3 and they were 7" sleeves.

It looks like they installed the camber plates, I wonder why they didn't section the struts? Did you buy the weld-in camber plates from T3 as well?

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

The length of suspension travel will lessen with shorter springs. I don't believe that will be a good thing. I would recommend that you have them installed the way they were intended to be installed. Hope you can have them do that without any problems. Good luck.

The length of suspension travel will lessen with shorter springs. I don't believe that will be a good thing. I would recommend that you have them installed the way they were intended to be installed. Hope you can have them do that without any problems. Good luck.

Suspension travel is determined by the strut travel. The only way the spring determines the travel is if it coil binds. Shorter springs would fix the too high problem, but they wouldn't change the fact that the coilovers were installed in the cheesiest way possible. One of the main benefits to these parts is that they allow extra clearance for larger wheels. With the shock perches still on the strut tube, you've lost that advantage.