HybridZ

Storage Area Behind Seats 1978 280Z

On my new to me 1978 280z there are 2 grab handles that lift up a trap door and expose a inner body storage area where the PO keep a few tools jumper cables, oil etc . Is that a home made mod or did they all come that way. The storage area is located directly behind the seats and goes across the entire width of the car. I want to order a carpet kit but I'm wondering if it will fit.

Thanks

Randy

On my new to me 1978 280z there are 2 grab handles that lift up a trap door and expose a inner body storage area where the PO keep a few tools jumper cables, oil etc . Is that a home made mod or did they all come that way. The storage area is located directly behind the seats and goes across the entire width of the car. I want to order a carpet kit but I'm wondering if it will fit.

Thanks

Randy

The rear storage started with the late 260. As long as you order a carpet kit for the 280 it should have the cutouts for the carpet to fold over and expose the doors. At least mine did when I ordered it ten years ago!

Edited by 30 ounce

This is a completely stock, well known storage compartment in all 240, 260 and 280z's.

Any carpet kit you order for your car will work with it.

If this is your first early Z, you should pick up a copy of the factory service manual.

The rear storage started with the late 260. As long as you order a carpet kit for the 280 it should have the cutouts for the carpet to fold over and expose the doors. At least mine did when I ordered it ten years ago!

my 73 has the cubbies too

All 240-280's have them. BUTTTT 280's came with a rear wooden sub floor approx 4-5 inches higher that covered these cubbies. It needed to be removed to have access to them. The sheet metal at the front of this "cubby" is actually higher and acts as part of the support for this sub floor. A 280 and 240 rear carpet kit are not the same due to the new position of the floor. To tell quickly, this subfloor must be moved to access the rear tailight panel. On a 280, you can only see part of the panel, and the floor and carpet are notched to fit around this panel.

Show us pictures of your 280.

There are some incorrect posts in this thread. Very early 240's didn't have the two all metal hatch doors behind the seats. All other models up to 77 had two separate all-metal compartments behind each seat. In 77 Nissan added a raised wooden floor to clear the larger fuel tank, space saver spare tire and additional structure. I believe this is what you have in your car. A picture would allow us to confirm. If it is the stock compartment then a 78 carpet kit will fit. A '76 or earlier carpet kit will not fit correctly.

Look here.

Edited by rossman

All 240-280's have them. BUTTTT 280's came with a rear wooden sub floor approx 4-5 inches higher that covered these cubbies. It needed to be removed to have access to them. The sheet metal at the front of this "cubby" is actually higher and acts as part of the support for this sub floor. A 280 and 240 rear carpet kit are not the same due to the new position of the floor. To tell quickly, this subfloor must be moved to access the rear tailight panel. On a 280, you can only see part of the panel, and the floor and carpet are notched to fit around this panel.

Show us pictures of your 280.

Can anyone please post some pictures of their cubby area on thier 1978. My car is in the shop and I can't get pictures of it. My car has the raised sub floor that stop at the front side of the shock towers and then it drops about 4 inches where the back of the cubby cover starts. The cubby cover has 2 grab handles right behind the passenger and driver seats and the carpet wraps around the front of the cubby lid. The vertical piece of carpet behind the seats rolls over the lip in front of the cubby cover. There is no trim piece along the front of the lid, it's all carpet.

I need to order a carpet set but I'm afraid it won't fit correctly.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Can anyone please post some pictures of their cubby area on thier 1978. My car is in the shop and I can't get pictures of it. My car has the raised sub floor that stop at the front side of the shock towers and then it drops about 4 inches where the back of the cubby cover starts. The cubby cover has 2 grab handles right behind the passenger and driver seats and the carpet wraps around the front of the cubby lid. The vertical piece of carpet behind the seats rolls over the lip in front of the cubby cover. There is no trim piece along the front of the lid, it's all carpet.

I need to order a carpet set but I'm afraid it won't fit correctly.

Thanks

Yes im intrested to see too, the way i got my car, i didnt even know of these compartments, but then again how i got this car, it missing alot of stuff :(