HybridZ

280z Custom front

75zcar

I picked up a 1975 datsun 280z awhile ago. It had no front bumper but I just so happend to have a Cerins polyuerathane Cobra R bumper that I found hiding at my local scrap yard. I posted some pictures to see if someone would photoshop the Cobra bumper to a 280z. Like I anticipated I was flammed by most replys. I understood in the long run bc I realized not everyone can picture something unless its right in front of them, and this did sound like a crazy idea.

So now I have worked down the R bumper and here was my first test fit to the Z to see how it would look

101.jpg

Just like I thought, the bumper will be blocking alot of airflow to the radiator.

Then I remembered that I had the Z original grill. In the picture the grill is upside down.

102.jpg

I dont want the whole middle section of the bumper to be removed, so I figure I'll cut 2-3 horizontal bars offthe Z grill and shorten it a bit in width to look like \___/ Then I'll cut that section from the top of the R bumper.

Opinions, comments and questions are all welcome. The Z will be painted Dark Shadow Grey with the cowl on the hood satin black.

• Administrators

Straight on, looks pretty good. It may even have adequate open area between the bumper and hood as well as below the bumper for cooling air...

Any pics from a side/frontal 45 degree angle and possibly a side/profile shot as well?

It just happens, I know a great mold builder.. WINK!! ;)

I like it also.. great new style lower spoiler with a good rounded front that molds in nicely with the headlights. Very surprised it looks so good with that little work.

Edited by azcarbum

It is in no condition to be ready for a picture as revealing as a side shot haha. Once I continue the wheel well into it, it should look really nice.

I positioned it so the bottum of the bumper is level with the rockers of the Z.

Edited by 75zcar

Here are a couple Idea's I have running through my head...

See alt. photo.

1 - I wold ncorporate a ledge for the hood nose to settle near. will create a strong spot for center support. I also over exaggerated the curve, but you could point the nose a bit to follow the hood.

2 - you could made small aero slots in the center panel.. His would also add some support to the center panel, which may reduce any type of folding inwarad by high pressure buildup at speeds. I just used a straight line to show an example, but you could make them long, narrow and oval with steel mesh behind.. This would allow more air to flow into and toward the radiator, and reduce that high pressure point.

All this could be handled in the plug process.

B.

post-1112-034320600 1282767512_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple Idea's I have running through my head...

See alt. photo.

1 - I wold ncorporate a ledge for the hood nose to settle near. will create a strong spot for center support. I also over exaggerated the curve, but you could point the nose a bit to follow the hood.

2 - you could made small aero slots in the center panel.. His would also add some support to the center panel, which may reduce any type of folding inwarad by high pressure buildup at speeds. I just used a straight line to show an example, but you could make them long, narrow and oval with steel mesh behind.. This would allow more air to flow into and toward the radiator, and reduce that high pressure point.

All this could be handled in the plug process.

B.

I plan to cut out and area for the grill I pictured which should be more than enough airflow. I will need to make some bracket system as you mentioned to avoid folding.

I think It will look cool. Dont cut away the center if you can get away with it. Just make sure that all the air is actually going through the radiator and not around it. You will nee to modify the hood hinges so it doesnt tilt forward. Have a look in my photo album for my version.

Cheers,

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a bit more of an update,

167.jpg

The bumper will be molded onto the car and the fender opening sides of the bumper will be cleaned up as well.

168.jpg

Let me know how you feel about how it is coming along, I will be keeping this thread updated untill paint is sprayed. Flares are in the mail along with the bre rear spoiler. The car will be sprayed with Dark Shadow Grey from Ford with a satin black stripe running down the middle.

Edited by 75zcar

Now when you finish up the car and take it to car shows or a local z guy's see's it they are going to come up to you and ask "where did you get that custom airdam?" :D , Looks nice can't wait to see the finished product. Do you have plans to lower the car, if you are how much?

Now when you finish up the car and take it to car shows or a local z guy's see's it they are going to come up to you and ask "where did you get that custom airdam?" :D , Looks nice can't wait to see the finished product. Do you have plans to lower the car, if you are how much?

Well I doubt I ever get asked that since I've seen 2 other z's around here my whole life ha. Also, I would love to absolutley slam the car, but not sure what means I can afford.

Looks super sick good work man put some flares one it and some super aggressive wheels. Then sit back,relax,drive and watch the heads turn and jaws drop. :2thumbs:

Flares and spoiler should arive in the mail next week B)

Edited by 75zcar