HybridZ

FEELER: Z-Series LED Tail Light Conversion

i just received the kit for my 73 240z and hope to get some pics and video posted by this weekend. been jonesing to get them in but other 'stuff' keeps getting in the way [work, family, work, etc]. i will try to post video of both led and stock [incandescent] lights side by side as well some images of the led's and install...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some images...[no rust, dirt or other comments!]

the basic led pc board front view

med_gallery_176_833_348529.jpg

same board, other side, ground and lead wires attached. notice also how i kinked the green ground and the knot in the power lead

med_gallery_176_833_1817864.jpg

led boards mounted in housing, back side view

med_gallery_176_833_829417.jpg

led boards mounted in housing, front view, no lens

med_gallery_176_833_1304858.jpg

vimeo video shows comparison between

led and left [incandescent] lights

My link to vimeo video

here's my attempt at install directions...feel free to cut, paste and improve or otherwise.

LED wiring:

Red: high intensity (brake/turn light)

Black: low intensity (running/tail light)

Green: ground

S30 wiring:

Green : high intensity (brake/turn/hazard light)

Green w/white: low intensity (running/tail light)

Black: ground

Removal process

• Remove license plate light, taillight exterior metal surround panels, interior plastic trim panel and tailights.

• Suggest you take a pic of where the plugs go and or create a wiring diagram to remember what goes where.

• Break off the pin that sticks through the middle of the taillight housing [center rear] then soak taillights for 10-15 minutes in hot water [after removing wiriing] to soften adhesive and allow separation of lens & housing [give them a slight torsional twist will help when done soaking].

Unpack LED components and begin assembly. Here are some things i did to make it easier for me.

• Remove 3 nuts and rubber grommet from each LED circuit board, attach read plug to the lead to LED cb, install terminated geen ground wire [i kinked each one so they didn’t get pinched when installing the LED cb into the housing] to stud, secure with non-locking nut. I also “knotted†the LED lead [knot approximately same length as stud] so the lead would not pull away from the LED cb.

• Install the LED cb into the housing, slide the rubber grommet in place then nut, ground wire and nyloc. Rotate the grommet to achieve optimal position of the LED cb in the housing. Finger tighten the nut holding the grommet and tighten the nyloc to secure the ground. I found that by over tightening the nut it can render some of the led’s temporarily inoperative, if you find this, simply back off the nut

• Remember, LED cb wires; red is for brake, turns and hazards, black for parking/taillights, green is ground. You can use the provided cool wire nuts, your own or solder and heat shrink if desired. Initially suggest you just use what is provided until you determine how you’ll ‘arrange’ the lighting pattern

• You can arrange or design your tails the way you desire. Example-stock layout, all 3 brake or turn or whatever. Some think more is better, others want stock layout. It’s your z so whatever you want.

• Test, install lenses either by softening the old adhesive [heat gun or such] or remove completely and use silicone or other suitable.

• Install completed lights and trim panels

• Done, time to go cruise and show those new tails!

hopefully i'll have some time to finish both the wiring, left side and lens attachment in the coming week and shoot another video-this time at night for better contrast. still not decided whether i'll configure for the oe look or something different...

Edited by 1 tuff z

Yes, very nice.  But I highly suggest doing some sort of 3rd brake light as well.  Our tails are so low that the SUV driver on the cell phone with screaming kids cant see that low.  After getting rear ended, I have added the 3rd LED strip for the center.  I firmly believe it's a must on our low Z car if they are driven in traffic.

Yes, very nice.  But I highly suggest doing some sort of 3rd brake light as well.  Our tails are so low that the SUV driver on the cell phone with screaming kids cant see that low.  After getting rear ended, I have added the 3rd LED strip for the center.  I firmly believe it's a must on our low Z car if they are driven in traffic.

Not a bad idea. Maybe you could make one fit up in the top center of the hatch window?

• 1 month later...

I am going to give this kit a try also this winter for my 71 240. I was wondering if you will make a strip we can use in our front turn signal units. I saw them in person on 1 tuff z's car and I really think it will help other drivers see when I am braking and turning during the day!

Not a bad idea. Maybe you could make one fit up in the top center of the hatch window?

really good idea, maybe a thin strip that goes from one side of the window to the other...

Well i email the guy selling the kits and below is the response i got back.

....that sucks.....i was sportin a chub reading about these LEDs!!!! now im depressed....hopefully he finds a new supplier =/

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest skimattybee

i have been talking these up at the local z meets and have several people that are very interested....if anyone could produce a similar kit