HybridZ

1974 260z with rb?

July 7, 2011

Received the $200.00 rb25det head that I bought from this member over at nico-club last weekend. The head looks a bit dirty n dusty when I first open up the box, but inspecting from my point of view, it looks to be in good shape. Will to really confirm that the head is in good shape,  I am going to need the machine shop to inspect it first, before i can really relay on it. So hopefully everything turns out great. 

Head when I first received it. 

66d9015b.jpg

July 11, 2011

Pick up my head right after work today and the head turn out good. No leakage of any sign, and a complete resurface. Paid 90.00 after tax. 

f5c11920.jpg

e4497df9.jpg

Went to autozone and bought a bottle of Cooper metal head-gasket to spray on my metal head-gasket. 

b0f6e508.jpg

After spraying the copper bottle onto the head-gasket front and back side, then I put the head back onto the short block with the twins manifold already install. Tighten and torque everything up and was ready to install my exhaust and intake camshaft. 

While installing my exhaust and intake camshaft and torque them to spec, everything seem to go as plan. Then install the new idler, tensioner, and oem timing belt. 

8102d9b1.jpg

Before timing belt was even

mounted I perfectly align both cams and pulley to their mark. Afterwards, I then install the timing belt with the line on the belt to each mark on the head and block. 

I then rotate the pulley with my 1/2 rach clockwise and it rotate freely on the first turn, then it got stuck again! Then I started to rotate counterclockwise and it got stuck again after a bit of turn. As I keep on rotating, I then notice that half of my exhaust camshaft wasn't rotating and the other half was. What a bummer, I then new it from their that my camshaft was broken. 

368b2747.jpg

b6280075.jpg

It broke right off, where it had the broken exhaust valve from the previous head. Now, I'm in need of a exhaust camshaft. :(

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the status ? I would like to see this engine run cause I came across a rb26 TT manifold for cheap. So I'd like to see if its worth it !

hey daz, I'm almost their. I just need a new exhaust camshaft, then redo the timing belt and then I should be able to fire it up. Hopefully the tt manifold will pay it off.

July 7, 2011

Received the $200.00 rb25det head that I bought from this member over at nico-club last weekend. The head looks a bit dirty n dusty when I first open up the box, but inspecting from my point of view, it looks to be in good shape. Will to really confirm that the head is in good shape, I am going to need the machine shop to inspect it first, before i can really relay on it. So hopefully everything turns out great.

Head when I first received it.

July 11, 2011

Pick up my head right after work today and the head turn out good. No leakage of any sign, and a complete resurface. Paid 90.00 after tax.

Went to autozone and bought a bottle of Cooper metal head-gasket to spray on my metal head-gasket.

After spraying the copper bottle onto the head-gasket front and back side, then I put the head back onto the short block with the twins manifold already install. Tighten and torque everything up and was ready to install my exhaust and intake camshaft.

While installing my exhaust and intake camshaft and torque them to spec, everything seem to go as plan. Then install the new idler, tensioner, and oem timing belt.

Before timing belt was even

mounted I perfectly align both cams and pulley to their mark. Afterwards, I then install the timing belt with the line on the belt to each mark on the head and block.

I then rotate the pulley with my 1/2 rach clockwise and it rotate freely on the first turn, then it got stuck again! Then I started to rotate counterclockwise and it got stuck again after a bit of turn. As I keep on rotating, I then notice that half of my exhaust camshaft wasn't rotating and the other half was. What a bummer, I then new it from their that my camshaft was broken.

It broke right off, where it had the broken exhaust valve from the previous head. Now, I'm in need of a exhaust camshaft. :(

WOW :o:blink: ! Well, at least you found the culprit ! And good thing you rotated before trying it with the starter.

You'll have the peace of mind that your engine is rebuilt completely ;) !

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Removed Quoted Pictures

if the motor hasnt been run for 2 years and you have it torn down that far i would check all the bearings for clearances (since you dont know the history of the motor) and reassemble everything with lube to prevent any damage on startup due to no oil on anything.

i suspect they may have had a hand in my motor failure (not all but some) starting up and engine after 2 years of not running cant be good for it. i spun a bearing on the dyno after a couple runs under literally no boost.

If you search google for rb25 FSM you will get lots of hits.

Here is a good link for 4 of teh different manuals. they are big so its best to just download them. Make sure you follow all the steps in putting it back together.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/rb/

The motor has been started up by me before, it ran on my 280z that i used to own. Its about a half of year now, since start-up so i think it should be okay. I decide to just reuse my piston rings from the bad piston, instead of purchasing new rings for all 6 piston.

yeah fsm was successfully download from nicoclub, thank you for the link "stony"

July 20, 2011

This morning I received a email from ups, and it looks like I will be receiving my second pair of 16x9.5 -19 offset today. Been waiting for at least 3 months for these shoes. 

Got home today after work and here's it is. 

c2cdd7f4.jpg

66db3e90.jpg

eac16446.jpg

I took the wheels to a tire shop and made them install it to my Yokohama tires 245/45/16. Paid about $20.00 for mounting and balance. 

After, setting on jacks stand for 5 months, here it is fully mounted onto my 260z, ready to roll around the garage and front porch lol. 

4a26ca14.jpg

Now I just need to get some zg flares and find someone to mount them on. :)

I also scored on a rb25det exhaust camshaft that I found on nico-club for $80.00 ship. I guess that's the best site to look for spare rb parts if you ever need it :). Hopefully after this, no more problem.  

Those wheels look great. Did you have to make any modifications to get the 9.5 width to fit onto the hub assemblies?

I am glad you found the culprit to your head issue.

Bill

I think I forgot to mention on my project thread, on what I did to mout the wheels on the car. Will I'm currently runny the Toyota 4 runner brakes with the attention of griding a bit of the caliper and a 10mm wheel spacer along with 260z rear wheel studs instead, since it's a bit longer. The rear didn't required any modification.

Yeah hopefully by next week, I should be able to fire this thing up.

So hows yours coming along Bill? Any new update since we last talk? I still need to come by and check out ur car, keep me updated if u need anything.

• 3 weeks later...

08/08/2011

Finally received my exhaust camshaft from the guys n Texas. Hopefully this time nothing goes wrong. 

I got this from the r33 fsm to torque the cam towers and install camshaft in place.

Everything bolt up and ready, but before fireing it up, going to need to reconnect the harness to the car. Hopefully by Sunday I should have a video of the rb25 alive. So stay tune guys

8/09/2011

The other day I was pouring oil into the motor and for some reason it was leaking from the oil filter housing, I maybe have forgotten to install the factory oil gasket correctly. Then got onto the computer and was surfing through online and, i came across some guys over at nico-club not running the oil cooler filter housing. So now I would be doing the same thing as what they did, since in the next couple months, I'll be running a oil cooler also. 

-Taking out the stud from the rb25 oil filter housing

0b07a0df.jpg

They are using the stud from the 240z,260z,280z,280zx oil filter housing from the L motor. I payed $11.00, ship from texas. 

b998a681.jpg

-Left stud is the z stud, right is the rb stud

9ae7226c.jpg

For-now, I will run just run the oil filter itself until the car is completely running, then I'll install a oil cooler to it. 

1f5f127b.jpg

cb45c780.jpg

I can't wait ! *football jock named Mongo voice " MUST SEE VIDEO, I LIKE FOOTBALL, CAR GO VROOOM "*

I think I might go turbo LS 4.8(I already haave the engine), but I could possibly switch back since I found a Rb25det in Arizona for $600(less harness).

Edited by Daz

I can't wait ! *football jock named Mongo voice " MUST SEE VIDEO, I LIKE FOOTBALL, CAR GO VROOOM "*

I think I might go turbo LS 4.8(I already haave the engine), but I could possibly switch back since I found a Rb25det in Arizona for $600(less harness).

I should have a video up by the end of this week. Just need to wire up some wires then it should veroom, veroom. A rb25 for 6 bills that's dirt cheap, if u decide to pass on that let me know, I don't mind having a spare on the side.

I should have a video up by the end of this week. Just need to wire up some wires then it should veroom, veroom. A rb25 for 6 bills that's dirt cheap, if u decide to pass on that let me know, I don't mind having a spare on the side.

Just read your entire build and realized youre local! I want to see the thing in person one of these days if you don't mind!

-Mark

Just read your entire build and realized youre local! I want to see the thing in person one of these days if you don't mind!

-Mark

Yeah, feel free to come by one of these weekend if you want. Do you own a z too? Will pm me and I'll give you my number.

8/09/2011

Next, with a little research again, I found out that I can use the 300zx z32 lower radiator hose for the rb upper and lower hose on my "PRC" radiator with a little modification. 

821c9663.jpg

13e6199f.jpg

I had measure the correct length and used a knife to cut off the length that I needed. I used the bottom housing as my upper, picture of the hose.

0400d09b.jpg

For the lower, I use the top housing that you see in the picture above that I have left over from my upper hose. I used a metal pipe as a adapter to turn the hose around for the best angle.

02d58013.jpg

-That hose end goes into the lower section of the cooling outlet of the motor. 

9d658467.jpg

- The part where I mark a red line, I then cut that and use it for the radiator "lower", since that has a bigger housing. So the right opening end in the picture section to the red line, is what i used to connect the other end of metal pipe.

- Now, I'm ready to pour some radiator fluid into this hot machine. :). I should have a video post soon of this machine "roar" anytime soon this week, so check back. 

okay, finally I got it to start on my first attempt why recording also, :). Damn, you guys just dont no how happy I was when it started. I have tiny oil leak by my turbocharger returned lines, and a coolant leak on top of my starter. Now i need to find or build a down-pipe and my exhaust system for this, cuz this thing is super loud.

click on the picture to see video. sorry for the poor quaitly lol..ill get another one when i fix up the minor stuff.enoy :)

th_IMG_1186.jpg

Edited by voltron_boi

okay, finally I got it to start on my first attempt why recording also, :). Damn, you guys just dont no how happy I was when it started. I have tiny oil leak by my turbocharger returned lines, and a coolant leak on top of my starter. Now i need to find or build a down-pipe and my exhaust system for this, cuz this thing is super loud.

click on the picture to see video. sorry for the poor quaitly lol..ill get another one when i fix up the minor stuff.enoy :)

th_IMG_1186.jpg

I'm so happy for you ! Glad to see you get it going.

I'm wire brushing up my engine bay right now. And its definite that I'm going turbo LS1 4.8, I have to sell my RB/Z32 tranny now.

Did you call that guy selling the RB25det in AZ ?

Edited by Daz

August 14, 2011

Today, I finally wire up my alternator and my fuel pump switch. Alternator is charging and fuel comes off and on when switching signal trigger. 

While that is being done, I have 2 problems that I can't seem to figure out what it can be. The first, I have a little oil leaking underneath the black plate that holds the top timing cover,  leaking by the tip of the black plate by looking at exhaust cams black plate. 

(((Leaking not at the part where it has a threaded hole, but the bottom part tip before that.)))

fc1354e5.jpg

I was thinking could it be the cam-shaft oil ring gasket by the cams that is not sealing completely? I tried moving the ring and troque the cam-shaft towers n place and still doesn't work. But, before I even decide to go head and order a new ring seal are their any other part that you guys should recommend me to check first? I don't want to make a mistake by purchasing a new ring, then reinstalling it and have the same problem.

Second issue, is when attempting to step on the clutch pedal their is a huge chatter, grinding noise coming out of the transmission. It gets louder and louder if I step on it more.    When it isn't being step on their is no noise coming from the transmission. Do any of the you guys might know whats the reason why it's doing that? Would be very much appreciate to any advice. 

08/18/2011

Still no reply from anyone here that might of know what the reason is. 

Will good thing I have some hits over at nico-club for help. 

Issue one, girding issue when clutch pedal is slightly being engage while engine running. The guys say I had install my throw-out bearing backwards that's why I had that problem occurring. Luckily I have taken a picture of the bearing before transmission was going to be install. I'm surprise that the people that came n read my build build thread didn't catch it. But, o will tranny gonna come off soon, now just gotta find a shop that will let me borrow their hydraulic car lifter or manger a way to dismount and mount that heavy transmission. 

1261a578.jpg

Issue two, the guys say their is 3 option that it could be. Valve cover gasket, cams-shaft seal, and head gasket. Most of the guys say it's my head gasket, because i didn't milled the block when I install the gasket. But before I start to believe those guys I would like to narrow down the problems first before taking off the head again. 

So, first off I check the valve cover gasket n put some gasket maker on each corner of both valve cover. Waited till the next day and started it up, and leaking occur. 

Second, I then moved on to the cam-shaft seal by the cams, had to remove my radiator, hose, pulley, covers, timing belt and all those little peace in order to get to the headache seal. Ah hah, here is what I found.

d80c716a.jpg

c635eb39.jpg

Over at nico-club they say I can use the z32 seal as a inter-changeable so I went to my local parts store n got a pair. It flush in no problem, but it looks different, more like a transmission axle seal. 

97124103.jpg

I'm in the middle of reinstalling everything back on, and hope that is the reason why, because I'll hate to redo everything again just to get that metal-head gasket out of that head and replacing it with a oem one which I don't want at all. So figure crossed