HybridZ

45 DCOEs - Too big? Too small?

jacob80

Hey guys,

About two years ago, we picked up a set up triple Webers 45 series from MSA, but I really have no insight as to what 45 is really the measure of (jet?). At any rate, I've decided my next build is going to be utilizing these triple webers, but I'm not sure if they're the right size.

Also, I haven't decided whether or not an L28 or L24 block would be better suited for these carbs. I have an E31 head with an MSA Schneider stage 2 cam on the head, but I've heard bad things about that specific cam.

Any help, or links, are appreciated.

Thank you!

Is essence, my ultimate goal is 200whp with a triple Weber configuration.

I haven't searched extensively yet, but is there a good (common) cam size that works well with the 45mm DCOEs, E31 head, and L28 block?

I am also unaware as to what my compression ratio be. I don't not plan on running anything above 9.7:1 as per Braap's suggestion in another thread.

Should be 10:1 with flattops.

My dad's L28 is probably about that high and he never had any issues running on premium. Thicker gasket if you want to go lower.

I would take issue with the thicker gasket to lower compression idea. If you do a thicker gasket you'll likely remove all the quench and even though the compression is down it may be more detonation prone. I would say if you're in doubt about running on pump gas, get a bigger cam. A bigger cam will run less dynamic compression and can make a higher compression motor work without pinging.

The green car is running 50 or 55mm carbies. Probably Solex. You can get away with 45's and they won't be "too much", since you can choke them down substantially. If you used a small cam, I'd sell the 45's and invest in 40's so you have some extra cash. If you find yourself using like a 34-36mm choke in a 45mm carb then I would get down to a 40mm carb body. I bet the increased velocity would help the torque at the lower end, with a smaller cam.

Curious about the dynamic compression ratio since I'm building another motor also! I assume lower RPM's work fine and its not until higher RPM's that you would ping, as your compression raises from valve events, and ignition timing increasing?

fkske9.jpg

Edited by josh817