HybridZ

240z tail lights into 260z/280z. write up+pics

brianZortiz

Hey HybridZ, I own an early 260z (8/73) and love the car. It is going to a bodyshop for restoration, but before it left I wanted to put some 240z lights because I love the way they look. I do like the 260z/280z tail lights but when I found a great deal for some 240z lights I couldnt pass up. I have searched thoroughly and have not seen a write up. I wanted to do something this Sunday as I am not a big fan of fotball, so I went ahead and removed the 260z tail lights post-10151-012375500 1286155350_thumb.jpg

I then test fitted the trim panels. post-10151-001700200 1286155459_thumb.jpg (note those platic pins have to be removed)

I then set up my weopons of choice, It was a drill and cutting wheel. post-10151-007985200 1286155728_thumb.jpg

I was ready to cut, I first used a sharpie and drew out the lines. It was simple to cut, nothing too complicated,

post-10151-068277900 1286156001_thumb.jpg

The way I cut it was to make sure there was no round corners it all had to be squared. I cut till that point on the upper and lower portion of the metal. I test fitted and I needed to cut about a half inch on the upper side of metal panel so the 240z tail light housing can clear. It fit perfect. I then did a test fit with tail light first then with trim panel. I used the sharpie and pin pointed my holes. They were all different from 260z holes. They were nice and spaced out from exsisting holes. There was only one that wasnt but only needed a little trimming. They are from the upper left corner on the left hand side and the upper right corner on the right hand side. That was my start point for hole drilling.

post-10151-074281500 1286156689_thumb.jpg

I was ready to install. The fit was perfect. The picture above is the left hand side finished and the right hand in the process.

The light bulbs on my existing 260z did fit in the 240z tail light housing. They just needed some mixing and matching. They did light up but have no picture since it was already dark and rainy. I should have picture of lighting tomorrow.

Here is the Finished product

post-10151-002407000 1286156854_thumb.jpg

Well, it is semi-finished I just need to remove and clean. Then the car goes to restoration shop.

note: I do have the middle piece which goes on tomorrown when I clean it and paint it. The holes on middle piece do match the holes of the 260z piece. There is no mod there just install License plate.

It was fairly easy. The only real hard part was to remove 260z tail lights. It took me a little over 3 hours to complete.

Looking good! If I can ever get my 280Z running I may do this. My biggest concern is with the 260/280Z reverse light hole. Isn't there part of that left open that doesn't get filled by the 240Z taillights? I'm curious as to what you plan to do for that since it would just be an open hole that if water runs down behind that trim panel can now go right into the car? Just fiberglass up the remainder?

Edited by DuoWing

I did this to my Zed as well. All I did was use some left over sheetmetal and cut it to fit where the hole is. Then Just drilled a hole in it so the tail light assembly could bolt to it. Lastly I used some liquid gasket to seal the "patch" to prevent water (like it ever rains in Vegas)

Lol. Better safe than sorry. Yah I might end up doing that, it's raining 3 days straight here in Los Angeles. Was it brushed on gasket or spray. I have this bottle of liquid gasket with an American Indian in front. Dark brown color. I might use that.

• 2 weeks later...

Zenkilights.jpg

Zed001.jpg

I did this to my Z at the beginning of the summer. Yes, its a 280z. Its not done, by any means, as I have to get the gaskets to fit...

But one thing for you to consider is that the 240z had small metal clips that were welded(?) to the body on the BOTTOM area of the tail light surrounds. The surrounds slot into them and they keep them from waving around. Otherwise, your only attachment points are the top holes where the plastic rivets go... not a great amount of support using just them... I have not yet come up with a solution for my car, but I highly suggest finding one before yours hits the road (and before you paint it, if that's still possible).

• 4 weeks later...

Im in the process of doing this swap as well on my 75 280z. As far as the surrounds go, im going to tack weld threaded studs on the back side, and nut them on the inside of the car. The outside studs will have to go through the white plastic that surrounds the lens, and the inside studs will go through the metal of the car. Havent done it yet, but it should work.

• 1 month later...

Odmanout84 when iconverted my lights i ran into the same problem. I went to the local truck parts store and got some chasis wireing clips. They slip on truck chasis to hold wire harness on.

Any chance you can send a link? I'm not sure if the stuff I found on google will work...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I didn't run a gasket between the taillight and panel. Drilling is a measuring thing. I started with one bolt that lined up and went from there. Also. I just found out the 240z license plate light works and bolts in to the same location as my early 260z. Never did it until I got pulled over for no lights. Fits like a glove.