HybridZ

Was my stock clutch fan too close to the radiator

I've only had my Z running for a little while. I've taken it around the block for a few shake down runs. But today I got on it a little (4500 rpm) and my stock clutch fan let go and took out my radiator.... Luckily I only put water in it and was close to home. Its the stock clutch fan that came with my 71. And a stock type replacement radiator. No shroud, and the fan was 1.25 inches away from the radiator..

Was it too close to the radiator, or was the fan just having a bad day ?

post-5838-070959500 1286660463_thumb.jpg

post-5838-048335600 1286660470_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Is your radiator secure to the core support/body structure on the passenger side? Is the radiator core separated from the mounting surround that is attached to the core support? Pull on the radiator to see if it is loose.

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the radiator took more than one strike from more than one fan blade in that one isolated region of the radiator indicating the radiator moved rearward, into the fan, or the engine moved forward into the radiator. :unsure:

Is your radiator secure to the core support/body structure on the passenger side? Is the radiator core separated from the mounting surround that is attached to the core support? Pull on the radiator to see if it is loose.

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the radiator took more than one strike from more than one fan blade in that one isolated region of the radiator indicating the radiator moved rearward, into the fan, or the engine moved forward into the radiator. :unsure:

The radiator is not that old, and is mounted very firmly using the 4 stock mounting bolts. The core support is solid as is the radiator core and surround. There is one major wound to the radiator I think the other cuts are from the fan blades breaking and flying off.

Do you know how much clearance theres supposed to be between the fan blades and radiator stock ? I dont know if my clutch fan is original, I think they started using plastic fans in late 71 or 72. Earlier were metal.

Check that your motor mounts bolts are tight and that the rubber is in good shape.

Hadn't thought of that, I went out and shook the car back and forth by the engine and the mounts seem pretty firm. I also put a jack at the back of the trans and the trans mount is good too..

Yeah, it could. That mark looks like a single blade comming in contact after partially shearing off. The baldes are pulling tward the radiator after all. That pretty much sets off a chain reaction of shrapnel.

Wouldn't that mean their would be dents in the hood and possibly sheared vacuum lines etc. I thought it was possible that they broke off also, but I think there would have been more evidence left behind if they did. Is it possible that the fan flexed? sort of like a RC cars tires when they accelerate, like flaring out and then it made contact with the radiator then broke?

EDIT: also you might want to check if your water pump has some play in the shaft, You'll have to take off the belt to check it.

Edited by 19752802+2

Judging from your photo....your FUEL? or Coolant? line is too close to the fan, and is unsupported.  That could have struck the back of the blades and weakened them, which led to mass destruction.   

Edited by cygnusx1

Wouldn't that mean their would be dents in the hood and possibly sheared vacuum lines etc. I thought it was possible that they broke off also, but I think there would have been more evidence left behind if they did. Is it possible that the fan flexed? sort of like a RC cars tires when they accelerate, like flaring out and then it made contact with the radiator then broke?

EDIT: also you might want to check if your water pump has some play in the shaft, You'll have to take off the belt to check it.

There isnt any major damage to the underside of the hood, a few knicks and dings but nothing indicating pieces of fan blade at high velocity. The water pump is brand new, no play.

Judging from your photo....your FUEL? or Coolant? line is too close to the fan, and is unsupported.  That could have struck the back of the blades and weakened them, which led to mass destruction.   

It's the angle of the photo, theres a good three inches space between the blade and the stock fuel line. (I set the fan back on the pulley for the photo, I know its not bolted on)

post-5838-055993500 1286722610_thumb.jpg

I'll cast my vote for an old/weak plastic fan blade that deformed out of shape and made contact with the radiator just long enough to shatter and not long enough to scribe a complete circle into the radiator. Although my first guess was the water pump. Had the engine been loose enough to move that far forward, there would be other problems evident.

Dennis

Was your fan painted? I don't know a ton about plastics and such, but I would think that some paints could damage the plastic? I know with paintballing, if you use windex on your masks lense you MUST replace it because it can cause it to shatter since windex puts little micro cracks in the plastic. You would never know it till one of them took a direct shot and CRACK you've got paint in your face and you don't know what happened...or worse.

and I know i've spray painted some small plastic parts before and they seemed to lose some of their rigidity

Edited by m4xwellmurd3r

Was your fan painted? I don't know a ton about plastics and such, but I would think that some paints could damage the plastic? I know with paintballing, if you use windex on your masks lense you MUST replace it because it can cause it to shatter since windex puts little micro cracks in the plastic. You would never know it till one of them took a direct shot and CRACK you've got paint in your face and you don't know what happened...or worse.

and I know i've spray painted some small plastic parts before and they seemed to lose some of their rigidity

Yeah the previous owner painted it silver, dont know how long ago. Could have been a factor, but I think I just had an old fan who's days were numbered......

Where are the mounting holes in the flange? Looks like the nuts were loose and allowed the fan to hit the radiator and then broke the flange.

Mongo

In the 3rd pic I posted I did not bolt the fan back on the pulley, I just set it on for the photo. When I took the fan off after the damage all of the mounting bolts were tight.

Your Fan clearance is about the same as my 280Z fan. so it's looking much much more like it's just a old, brittle and now quite busted fan. Sucks it took out the rad with it. Definitely made me check my blades. mine are still mildly flexible, but I wasn't trying to break it.