HybridZ

I Bit the bullit on a 406!! SBC 530 hp and 665 nm tq

I did it .. the 305 was tad to mild in my book.. It made the car perfectly controllable and driveable on track. but you always want more..

And ever since i drove Jeffp's car i want that adrealine rush of fear due to power ( i drove it mapping it with bernard at over 600RWHP)

So i got a deal on a ex stock car f1 built 406 (good parts) it made 530 RWHP on the bench and 665NM of torque.

It comes with a fecet fuel pump system Barry Grant carb.. tilton qauter master... complete from carb to pan

SO i guess im going carb!! YEhaa im stocked 500+ here i am..

Just had to share .. i know a lame post

Edited by frank280zx

But at least you didn't have us 'guess your horsepower'!

You came right out and told us: 530RWHP "on the bench"---which, I guess, is similar to us guessing...

aaroncookcom_babu_bhatt_seinfeld.jpg

I'm telling you, STOP THESE GUESSING GAMES RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

You are a BAD man! A very, very BAD man!

haha well dyno 'bench' ill post print outs soon!

Only debate now is:

A: keep my victor jr megasquirt set up witch barely fits under the hood.. So in other words go FI

B: Keep the Barry Grant Carb it has now witch means i have to mount my Carbon fiber beta motorsport 4" cowl and cut my hood.. as it wont fit even if i wanted it..

So Carb or FI...

So tony Ian will still be on the market for a SBF and gearbox.. im just in the market for the gearbox next April .. i guess we should try to get; "take two and get discount" at TKO

As my current T5 will not stand the 665nm ( allmost 500FT lbs i guess)

Any other good gearboxes that stand this HP ?

Edited by frank280zx

So tony Ian will still be on the market for a SBF and gearbox.. im just in the market for the gearbox next April .. i guess we should try to get; "take two and get discount" at TKO

As my current T5 will not stand the 665nm ( allmost 500FT lbs i guess)

Any other good gearboxes that stand this HP ?

Maybe have the T5 upgraded. That's what I did:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

hmm intresting, apparently it does hold up to to the power according to the site.

But how much will it set me back? for about 2200usd you kan buy a TKO aswel.

Why did you decide to go with the T5?

As i share your thought/opinion .. a sports car needs a manual.. period...

And i guess the use of 'block huggers' wil tone down the listed HP so only way to find out for real is off to the dyno when it is in!

Edited by frank280zx

hmm intresting, apparently it does hold up to to the power according to the site.

But how much will it set me back? for about 2200usd you kan buy a TKO aswel.

Why did you decide to go with the T5?

As i share your thought/opinion .. a sports car needs a manual.. period...

And i guess the use of 'block huggers' wil tone down the listed HP so only way to find out for real is off to the dyno when it is in!

About 10 years ago, when doing this conversion, I bought a Tremec TR-3550, which is the trans the TKO is built from. I always thought it shifted like a truck. I was running a short shifter with it. I sold it to a friend and when he put it in his Z, using the same exact bellhousing and hydraulic clutch, but he used a long handle on the same Pro-5.0 shifter. That made it shift much better. If I'd known that was the fix, I might have kept it. My reason for going with the T5 and not a T56 was that I had an F-body T5 that was broken and decided to have a go at the G-force thing.

It shifts quite well, but I will warn you the gear noise is near that of a straight cut trans. 3rd gear is pretty loud for a street car. But you do get used to it.

Two other things I like about it is that it's light (about 85lbs) and small compared to the Tremec TKO and the T56.

I wish there was a good long tube header solution. The TC rod mounts make it so tight in the bay, and I don't want to deal with dragging street rod headers that some have done. Custom has been a thought, but I've never taken the plunge. With a built 406 you're going to have a ton of torque and power anyway. Losing a bit from the block huggers is not really going to be noticed 99% of the time, IMO. I'm probably losing more real performance on the street from the carb not being dialed in than from the block huggers. I do have a set of Weber power plates (adds a circuit and allows use of Weber tuning parts) that I plan to install over the winter to help with that, as well as a WB O2 sensor and gage to help with that.

Ok fair enough! any vids of it at VIR orso so i can hear what you mean with noise ?

I dont mind the gear noise, but thanks for the heads up if i want comfort ill take the 5 series and up teh seat heating one more step :P.

Im debating a 6 speed as it would make cruising and .. well extreme high speeds possible!

For now i have a t5 so lets deal with that first. ill contact gforce this week and judge from there!

Then i really like to look into making long tube headers ( custom) as i feel ther is allot to be gained from it. And like you said.. not that a 406 will be short on HP anyway, but it is one of the in my mind things.

What carb are you running

Edited by frank280zx

Ok fair enough! any vids of it at VIR orso so i can hear what you mean with noise ?

I dont mind the gear noise, but thanks for the heads up if i want comfort ill take the 5 series and up teh seat heating one more step :P.

Im debating a 6 speed as it would make cruising and .. well extreme high speeds possible!

For now i have a t5 so lets deal with that first. ill contact gforce this week and judge from there!

Then i really like to look into making long tube headers ( custom) as i feel ther is allot to be gained from it. And like you said.. not that a 406 will be short on HP anyway, but it is one of the in my mind things.

What carb are you running

Sorry, no vids from VIR or my last outing, Summit Point.

I'm with you on the 5 series, my M5 with about 440 crank hp and smooth ride can at times be the preferable ride. But if I want a real adrenalin rush, the much smaller and lighter Z with 6.7 liter lopey, loudish engine is the fix. :-).

I think the 6 speed (T56) would be better for my uses in the Z, if it was one with a similar 1st through 4th ratios and a 0.8 or 0.85 to 1 5th gear and a 0.6 or so to 1 6th gear ratio. 55 to 65 mph in 4th with my 3.7:1 diff and 255-40/17 tires is buzy, but the 5th gear in the T5 (0.68:1 I think) is too steep for those speeds with my cam. An in-between gear would be useful.

I'm running a Holley HP 830 w/ annular venturis.

Edited by pparaska

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Did the original poster buy a transmission? There was mention of doing so in April... and now it's April. Spring, the time for unbridled acquisition.

Reconnecting my Doug Nash 5-speed to my BBC has driven home the obvious points that a heavy transmission isn't a good thing, and lack of a steep overdrive isn't a good thing. For large-displacement engines with mild tune, what we need is a small number of gears, very broadly spaced, with a steep first (used only for drag racing) and a very tall nth gear (used only for lazy highway cruising). In "normal" conditions a 2-speed will suffice, with the lower gear for starting/puttering, and the higher gear for rural roads and highways. So how about these gear ratios: 4:1, 2:1, 1:1, and 1:2? Manufacturers, are you listening?

Pete's right about the G-force T5; best compromise of weight, shifting, and strength. Actually, even their gear ratios are not too bad, for the real world.