HybridZ

what 4 speed automatic bolts to L series ?

Ont240

Or better, maxima bellhousing, and Mitsubishi Starion Transmission (more clutch packs for a dedicated turbo-application along with modulator set for pressure, etc...just like the ZXT Three Speed, only with the o.d.)

Same tranny, different bellhousing/torque converter and can't recall but maybe output spline on the the tailshaft... all easy enough to swap. The transmission unit itself beefier though.

• Administrators

Ok, just got off the phone with my father.

He used a Z31 Turbo 4 speed auto trans behind the L28ET in his '82 ZX. To get the Z31 V6 auto trans to bolt up to the L6, all he did was use the bellhousing from the L6 auto trans, that's it. B) He put several thousand miles on it, autcrossing etc.

He also said something about the torque converter from the Turbo Z-31 is beefier unit than the N/A versions and feels it is necessary if producing above stock levels of Boosted performance. He wasn't sure if the trans internals themselves were any different but was adamant that the torque converter was different.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Do you know if that applies equally to the Z31T Tranny as well? That would indeed have the same internal beffier components like the L28ET (FSM can check I guess, extra clutch disc in low, higher line pressures, different modulator...)

I may have found something worthwhile in a Z31 Automatic!

I got two of the Maxima Trannies, but if I can go with the Z31T by just changing the bellhousing and torque converter to the one from the Maxima (or the Z31 Torque converter) that's cool by me!

Would make the conversion of the 510 Wagon easier... B)

• Administrators

Do you know if that applies equally to the Z31T Tranny as well? ...

He used a Z31 Turbo 4 speed auto trans behind the L28ET in his '82 ZX. ...

:P

He said it was from an early Z31T, don't know what or if any changes were made to the Z31 trans through its production run.

From what I have researched on this subject the differences are the modulator. If you get an very early(84) turbo trans, it has a vaccuum controlled modulator like the previous years. I think after 84 shifting is controlled electronically which would put you into buying an electronic controller-another 700$

I have a L6 Auto Bellhousing sitting around if anyone is interested. :P Thanks for that Info Braap, If that works out that would be a nice alternative to the other Auto trans swaps for the L6 motor and if it didn't require machining that would be even more awesome. B)

Along the same lines... I wonder how hard it would be to mate an L460e to the L28? My goal being to build a manumatic/tiptronic (I know, groan, boo, etc...) that me AND my wife can enjoy. The more she enjoys the car, the more likely I am to secure funds for future upgrades without bringing down her wrath ;)

Along the same lines... I wonder how hard it would be to mate an L460e to the L28? My goal being to build a manumatic/tiptronic (I know, groan, boo, etc...) that me AND my wife can enjoy. The more she enjoys the car, the more likely I am to secure funds for future upgrades without bringing down her wrath ;)

If you're going to tiptronic anyway just use the 240sx auto. It should bolt up pretty easily and is miles stronger than either the 3n and the 4n71 tranmissions.

Edited by Bernardd

I would at the very least buy a shift kit to increase the line pressures and to get firmer/quicker upshifts. The internals will hold it with no problems, it's the valve body settings that will hurt the trans. You can also buy a full manual valve body for that trans or the twin turbo auto. If the ka bell housing fits the twinturbo trans it should be fairly simple. You might have to drill a drive plate for the converter. I've done research but I have not had either trans apart to look at them.

I'm thinking there's a difference between the turbo car Z31 A/T and the Non-turbo car. I believe the turbo car may not have a locking torque convertor but the na car does. I could be wrong...but IIRC the turbo trans has beefier internals re clutch packs, etc.