HybridZ

Jdm exhaust/muffler

surfer.tech

Hey guys,

new here. I did a search and still no positive answers, hopefully you can help me out.

I have a stock USDM 73 Datsun 240Z and want a Fujitsubo Legalis-R header/muffler. Problem is no one on this side or the other side of the pond can figure out if there will be fitment issues. I understand that the header might not work because of the steering rack, but will the muffler work? I have contacted Fujitsubo japan and also many other tuners and no one knows the answer.

One tuner did suggest that since it was built back in the 70's that there were no emissions and that should mean that there should be no difference in the mufflers. Thanks

'73 precludes you from most emissions requirements, though the vacuum advance distributors and PCV systems are a type of emissions equipment.

If you're using an L-series engine, L-series specific headers will fit the same both ways. I have a RHD '71 240Z and the header doesn't interfere with the steering gear, nor does it interfere with the LHD rack. The piping can be custom built to work with your car and choice of mufflers, and there have been some pretty radical engine swaps done, with equally radical exhaust systems.

My suggestion would be to select your preferred muffler, select your preferred header, and then have a muffler shop fill in the gaps with custom piping.

One question, though. You say a Fujitsubo Legalis-R header/muffler. I'm confused by this. Exhaust systems are generally composed of Header-Piping-Muffler/Tailpipe or Muffler-Tailpipe. If I remember correctly, Legalis-R systems are just this, so is this some sort of Header/Muffler combination? I find that extremely unlikely, as almost every Legalis-R system I've ever seen was the standard "Header-Piping-Muffler" deal.

Clarification would be appreciated.

sorry, what I meant was the Legalis-r for the muffler section and the Super EX header. both from fujitsubo.

Fujitsubo japan does not know whether or not it will fit my 240Z. I want to make sure fitment is good/perfect before I go to a muffler shop and let them mess around with a expensive header/muffler

Edited by surfer.tech

Well, if the header is FOR an L-series, it should fit fine, but if it's not, then there's where you'd find your problem. The muffler will be pretty much universal, so that's not an issue.

If I might make a suggestion, I'd say just get an MSA header or something like that and go from there. The MSA will give you fairly good performance and will certainly fit, just ask one of the many people with them on the forums. They also make exhaust systems to work with them that can be modified and the Legalis-R muffler added on.

it may be that fancy octopus looking one, that would be veryyyy expensive to make here, not to mention the "japanese secrets" kinda thing going on with it Paul. I think that those parts are best bought from the source and if you see one you would see why.

Nevermind...looks like a simple yet very expensive header...

i73imd.jpg

Thought he was talking about this one...

2l1d11.jpg

Edited by sticky280zx

RHD-Japan has them for sale. Pics are on their site...

Here's the exhaust system.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-legalis-r-exhaust-muffler-s30-hs30-63314

I do like the Japanese method of running twice pipes compared to the MSA setup. Doesn't hurt that it's stainless either, compared to the terrible quality of my last set of twice pipes (MSA). But that's the big difference between a $160 setup & a $1300 setup. The Japanese systems seem to have excellent ground clearance, without sacrificing overall flow.

Edited by Matt K

Cool beans. Link?

heres the link on classiczcars

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=346453#post346453

Just curious, does this JDM bit have some special attribute that can't be had or duplicated here in North America? :unsure:

nothing special really. the header is stainless steel meant for a L24 (which I will be using BTW) and the muffler is also stainless twin tipped with a slashed cut.

That's a ridiculous price for an exhaust system :lol:

Not really, especially considering how much a typical stainless system goes for in Japan. Go to any exhaust shop you want & ask them to replicate a twin stainless mandrel bent system, with stainless muffler & resonator & see how much you'll be spending. Considering the muffler alone will be over $100, the piping will be ~ $250 for that amount of stainless, and another $100 for the resonator, another $40 for stainless flanges...and this is just for the raw materials. The only way 99% of exhaust places can do the bends would be to section pre-bent or make their own by sectioning straight lengths...a mandrel bender is a VERY expensive machine, and compression bends (what most shops use) will restrict your flow. You will be raped for the labor cost.

Of course, DIY is the best way to go, to keep cost down...but not everyone has the time/ability to do this, so you pay. One way or the other...

Edited by Matt K

Not really, especially considering how much a typical stainless system goes for in Japan. Go to any exhaust shop you want & ask them to replicate a twin stainless mandrel bent system, with stainless muffler & resonator & see how much you'll be spending. Considering the muffler alone will be over $100, the piping will be ~ $250 for that amount of stainless, and another $100 for the resonator, another $40 for stainless flanges...and this is just for the raw materials. The only way 99% of exhaust places can do the bends would be to section pre-bent or make their own by sectioning straight lengths...a mandrel bender is a VERY expensive machine, and compression bends (what most shops use) will restrict your flow. You will be raped for the labor cost.

Of course, DIY is the best way to go, to keep cost down...but not everyone has the time/ability to do this, so you pay. One way or the other...

Yeah, after I wrote that I thought about it and it isn't SUPER crazy. I have a buddy who spent 3k on his M3's exhaust so it definitely isn't bad when compared to other high-end cars.

Surfer.tech,

Please post how the exhaust and headers fit along with pics of the system once you get it. I've been leaning toward ordering a Kakimoto Hyper 80-R system and even found a Kakimoto Racing dealer in Canada that can order it for me. But I may have to reconsider the Fujitsubo system after finding out the header may fit LHD S30s.

Surfer.tech,

Please post how the exhaust and headers fit along with pics of the system once you get it. I've been leaning toward ordering a Kakimoto Hyper 80-R system and even found a Kakimoto Racing dealer in Canada that can order it for me. But I may have to reconsider the Fujitsubo system after finding out the header may fit LHD S30s.

No prob man. It has been confirmed that the muffler will fit. I am still trying to find out if the header will work. I am in the process of ordering the muffler in the next few months and will update on classiczcars and maybe on here.

That header flange appears to be the same flange all the JDM headers use. Ends about where the engine/trans junction is, just like the Z432 Header it's patterned after. Most of the exhausts in Japan are 'universal'---that is they all have a standard header flange location. So you can use Brand X Header with whomevers exhaust.

Notable exception are some of the very high-end stuff where they don't fit on LHD's due to primary length, and not coming down to the "Nissan OE Style Twin Pipe Flange"...

My Trust/Greddy Exhaust fit my Trust Header, my OS Header, my Stainless Header... they were all the same. The only oddball I have is a Fujitsubo Racing Header that comes down to twin 60mm pipes---a bit larger than the standard 50mm pipe used on most dual systems.

Then again, the 432 had twin 60mm pipes as well from what I'm told. 2L @ 10,000 rpms flows I guess!

• 9 months later...

Update: Install is done. Everything is on the ClassicZcar forum

I went with the custom LHD Kameari drag header (octopus header) mated with a Fujitsubo Legalis-R muffler. Hit a few snags on the way but everything is mounted. The car sounds AMAZING and power to boot. It has such a deep note at idle and a smooth note while in the power band. I am a stock L24 btw. I did lose a little on the bottom end but gained huge on top end.

So here is the information I have gathered on JDM headers/mufflers.

1. There are 2 main Greddy/Trust headers for the L24. Both are discontinued. One is for the L24 in the Skyline and one for the L24 Z. Most generic Japanese headers are made from this design. It WILL clear the LHD steering column. BTW Greddy USA has 2 S30's.

2. The Fujitsubo SUPER-EX header will NOT clear LHD rack. This has been confirmed by a member on the classic Z car forum and my local Z car guru. Furthermore, there is a picture floating around the internet that is "claimed" to be the Fujistubo header on the LHD car. It is NOT the SUPER-EX and Fujistubo has only made one header for the L-Series and they say it is not the one in the pictures.

3. Most JDM mufflers will fit, modification of the flanges may be required as well as modifying the hanging mounts. The Fujitsubo unit is very tight. very snug, little to no room after its bolted on.

4. Another header that will fit is the Spirit Garage header, great quality.

5. The Kameari header will not work with stock SU's without modification (which I had to do, until I can get my Mikuni's)

hope this helps people in the future.