HybridZ

Copper L28 Head Gaskets

240zip

I've seen layered metal head gaskets for the L28 and I mainly thought they were used in stroker applications. I've recently seen a spat of solid (not layered) copper gaskets being sold. There's one for about $110 on eBay. Under what circumstance would a solid copper gasket make sense?

I used a 'dead soft' copper exhaust gasket for my header and had to machine the exhaust flange on a Bridgeport to make it perfectly straight. I'm pleased with the result, but it's clear that you can't just use these without some metal preparation.

Would you really want to use such a gasket for a turbo L28ET application?

They have been discussed before as Tony stated, but last mention of them that I personally can remember was several years ago(without searching for it myself). I think there was a post back in '04 or '03 about gasket type comparisons.

Your best bet is to simply use google or the search feature here on hybridz.

Generally copper gaskets are used for specific applications. There are very few OE applications for them(old 2 stroke engines being one of them).

They have their purpose, but 99% of us here on the forums would never actually have use for them in my opinion.

I ran a copper gasket for a while, with an o-ringed block. I had some water seepage, but never enough under normal use to cause any problems. I ended up swapping to a multi-layer steel gasket after I blew out the copper one. It actually deformed (under lots of detontation) enough to push past the o-rings.

Edited by zguy36

Crack open the "How to Modify your Datsun" book, or go buy one and crack it open. Lots of general, but good stuff in there. There is a specific section about head gaskets.

I think you'll find some amount of oil and water seepage to be fairly "normal" under long periods of run time even with a metal prep like copper spray or what have you. Not to say that it will always seep, but that they have a natural tendency to seep.

Personally for my on highway vehicles I run MLS or OE composite.

Edited by rayaapp2

I ran a copper gasket for a while, with an o-ringed block. I had some water seepage, but never enough under normal use to cause any problems. I ended up swapping to a multi-layer steel gasket after I blew out the copper one. It actually deformed (under lots of detontation) enough to push past the o-rings.

That's some serious detonation...

Did you go to a Cometic gasket. I hear they are excellent. As a side note, I use a Nissan head gasket with an O ringed block. So far no issues with boost up to 26psi. knock knock knock

Did you go to a Cometic gasket. I hear they are excellent. As a side note, I use a Nissan head gasket with an O ringed block. So far no issues with boost up to 26psi. knock knock knock

I wish Cometic made an L6 gasket.

I went to a multi layer steel gasket and left the o-ring out of the block. This setup worked very well; no seepage or gasket deformation.

Both gaskets suffered some serious detonation though, enough to break the porcelein on the spark plugs on a couple occasions. Young and stupid, playing with a megasquirt and boost :shock:

Back in 2005 I tried to get enough interest in a Cometic gasket. That didnt work out. The other MLS gaskets were still available though. I think they would have cost around $200-$175 ea. My contact ended up ignoring my emails I think. I had ~8 people interested, but you never know how many would have followed through.

I wish Cometic made an L6 gasket.

I believe they did at one point.

If you want one now they'll charge you tooling (in the thousands) plus each gasket afterwards. And the per gasket price was still more then the Kameari one on eBay.

(this is as of 1 month ago)

Edited by mario_82_ZXT

I run them on custom engines such as the l31 dett motor. They are good because you cam machine them to be an exact continuation of the bore. Therefore no dead spots during combustion to promote detonation. Must run a stainless oring and a receiver groove is recommended for the head.

guys.

There must be someone here that has access to a waterjet or laser cutter. Copper sheet will run about $80 online for a sheet of 12" x 36" x 0.04". This is enough for two headgaskets. Now all we need is a good vector based patern for a headgasket. I am no expert but as I understand it the block needs to be Oringed only in extreme aplications. And for extreme builds you can buy steel Orings that can be used under the copper headgasket.

This could be a usable and cheap alternative to the very expensive Cometics headgaskets.

X

guys.

There must be someone here that has access to a waterjet or laser cutter. Copper sheet will run about $80 online for a sheet of 12" x 36" x 0.04". This is enough for two headgaskets. Now all we need is a good vector based patern for a headgasket. I am no expert but as I understand it the block needs to be Oringed only in extreme aplications. And for extreme builds you can buy steel Orings that can be used under the copper headgasket.

This could be a usable and cheap alternative to the very expensive Cometics headgaskets.

X

Hussy (and others) can make you an L6 copper gasket in whatever standard copper thicknesses are available. Reasonable price too.