HybridZ

Datsun Competition Hood Scoop

emoximuu

Does the scoop flex at speeds? I think it is a great idea, but if it flexed at speed.. it would only be a matter of time before it became two pieces.....

I've only had the car up to 90mph so far, but there were no signs of the vent distorting in any way. I would suspect that a fiberglass air dam or entire hood would see far greater aerodynamic forces and they seem to hold up fine. And this isn’t some flimsy, single layer of fiberglass piece. It’s very well made. But hopefully someone here who has had one of these on their Z for the past 35+ years can chime in on how well it’s held up.

I hope to get the car on the track later in the summer and if it appears to be flexing at higher speeds, a couple of carbon fiber rods could be bonded on along the length of the vent for extra rigidity.

Nigel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire reason for hood flex is removed by installing the vent!

Any pressure in the engine bay (which causes the competition FRP hood to flex up almost 3" at the struts at over 100mph) is adequately removed by the 'big oval hole' and allowed to vent out the sides.

These have been around since 1973/74...if there was an issue with the 'flexing' it would be well known by now!

So, I have had no luck contacting Les. Is there anyway I could employ someone to give him a call and ask him to check his messages on classiczcar.com or maybe even here if he has an account? Being deployed sucks sometimes :angry:

The hood looks great Nigel! Hopefully my car looks that nice when I get back.

Edited by emoximuu

So, I have had no luck contacting Les. Is there anyway I could employ someone to give him a call and ask him to check his messages on classiczcar.com or maybe even here if he has an account? Being deployed sucks sometimes :angry:

The hood looks great Nigel! Hopefully my car looks that nice when I get back.

Thanks!

Try e-mailing Les at z432@pacbell.net. That's the address he was replying to me from.

Nigel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, I've done everything short of calling him, which I can't do.

I've done both. No email response from him. so I called and he answered. I thought we had a good conversation, because he told me if I pay up front, he would have one made for me (made to order).

I told him that sounded great, and could he check on the cost of making me one in CF. and if it ended up running to high, I'd just pay for a fiber glass one.

He said he'd get right back to me.... that was weeks ago. I've even emailed him reminding him of our conversation. but I get no response.

I guess I could try the phone call route again. but I'm getting tired of chasing down these people to buy stuff from them....

I guess I'm one of those odd people... (be quite Nigel! lol)

I neither like it, nor hate it.....

I want to do something with my hood, but I don't like the common cowl hoods for these cars, because it takes away from that characteristic bulge in the hood, I don't want to just raise the stock bulge, because it then looks too narrow and I don't like how it would just end at the cowl, but I'm not totally sold on the Competition vent, although I do see it's benefits, bit for heat dissipation and possibly for aerodynamics.

Hmmm.

Can't wait to see it at ZFest Nigel.

This is a means to an end for me. I have a Turbo Tom set up and need to have access to air for the carb. I can not do a cold air intake becuse I have kept my car old school. I have some "top secret" vents I am considering installing that I will rid the engine bay of excess heat and air near the front. I had purchased them when I had my IS300 for a turbo swap that I did not get a chance to get to. I have kept them cause they are not common. I just want to get more air pulling through a specific are near the carb. This is a good way for me to achieve what I want by keeping it era specific.

@RB26powered74zcar, are you willing to pass me his phone # via pm so that I can start calling. I am used to nagging people,being in the construction industry, I have to do it constantly day to day...... sad really..

This is a means to an end for me. I have a Turbo Tom set up and need to have access to air for the carb. I can not do a cold air intake becuse I have kept my car old school. I have some "top secret" vents I am considering installing that I will rid the engine bay of excess heat and air near the front. I had purchased them when I had my IS300 for a turbo swap that I did not get a chance to get to. I have kept them cause they are not common. I just want to get more air pulling through a specific are near the carb. This is a good way for me to achieve what I want by keeping it era specific.

@RB26powered74zcar, are you willing to pass me his phone # via pm so that I can start calling. I am used to nagging people,being in the construction industry, I have to do it constantly day to day...... sad really..

Good deal my friend. This is the ph# I used (from his website)

CDM.gif

345 Olive Ave.

Vista, CA 92083

(760) 940-6365

(866) 288-8340 toll-free fax

Please let me know if you succeed in making this happen.

Just talked to him. he is curently working with the fiberglass shop on pricing and production. He is frustrated at the current vendor tha the is using. They seem to not follow through or grasp deadlines.... He is changing production companies and prosmises to respond to all who have emailed, and called.

@rb26, he did mention about the carbon fiber scoop as well......

So there still is hope......

I've heard back from Les about these. They are in production. $195 for fiberglass and $325 for carbon fiber. I heard from him about a week ago and he said it would be another 3 weeks before he could get some out as they are already busy filling several orders of them.

So just to be clear, is it Classic Datsun Motorsports who is selling these now?

FYI, Classic Datsun Motorsports has a mold for this hood vent, and is ready to start production. Pricing should be available soon. Contact CDM if you're interested.

Les at Classic Datsun came through and has released a reproduction of the Competition Hood Vent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...