HybridZ

260z? Yes or no?

If I remember correctly and feel free to correct me here, but Nissan Made more 260Z's stateside than all three years of production on the 240Z. Maybe it was worldwide not stateside on the 260Z.

In any case, it doesnt really matter. My point is that Im sure and its only my personal speculation here, that Nissan had multiple factories/lines pumping these cars out to hit these production numbers. What I believe happened was that the planned catalyst/big bumper production was implemented earlier in one factory/line as they used up the earlier style parts before the other factories/lines had.

There was only one factory making the cars, and it wasn't located "stateside". It was the Nissan Shatai plant at Hiratsuka in Kanagawa prefecture, Japan.

All this talk of '240Z' and '260Z' models means nothing without stating the specific model and market. 'RS30' and 'RLS30' prefixed 'Datsun 260Z' models ( as well as 'GRS30' and 'GRLS30' 'Datsun 260Z 2+2' models ) were made - at the Hiratsuka plant - and sold in certain export markets right up to the end of 1978. There was even an 'RS30' prefixed 'Nissan Fairlady 260Z' sold in Japan for a few short weeks in late 1973.

These are Japanese cars, and you have to keep in mind that they were sold all over the world - with many variations - when talking about them.

I am gonna try hard to get this 260z, its a 74 so it has the good bumpers. Its apparently in daily driver condition so I am Jumping on it! Thanks for your confidence!

Oh, any of you guys tall? I fit in the 83 280zx I had and the 84 300zx but will I fit just as well in a 260z? I am 6'5

you will have no problem fitting into the 260z. I really like the early 260z built in ac a better console easier to work on dash.

Because the 260z is not talked about much?

Maybe. It's not that big a difference from the others, it's still a Z, just kind of a 240, and kind of a 280. It's just one of those that you have to pay special attention to the microfiche and know what month yours was made.

Just to be a bit anal: In the US, saying it's a 260 and a 74 is redundant.

And just to be clear, the "good bumpers" isn't defined by the 74 model year -- it's an early vs late production in that model year. Also, the 1973 240Z's and the 260Z's both had the flat-top carbs, which gained a bad reputation. Those with more carb knowledge than I can tell you if this reputation is well-deserved or not.

There is one reason to pick a 260Z over a 280Z: Exemption from bi-annual smog tests in CA. (I know, it's not applicable for you, but it was a factor for me.)

Better go back and check the facts:

1) I have the 1975 Datsun Dealership Brochure, showing the 1975 260Z. Initially both were offered because EPA, DOT, and FMVSS regulations didn't conicide. Any vehicle made after 9/74 is FEDERALLY a 1975 Model. 260Z's were produced till 12/74...

2) Again, the bumpers are an abberation due to the same kind of preparation for the same DOT and FMVSS rule changes. The non-North American 260's basically have 72 style bumpers till the end of 1978 when the ZX was introduced overseas. The EARLY 74 Bumpers comply with an interim standard that is more stringent than the 1973 standard (mainly the requirement that the bumper return to it's original position within a set time after an X mph impact), The 73's don't do that, the early 74's do. The LATE 74's had a 5mph complinance requirement stacked on top of the prior impact standard, so they put a BIGGER pbumper on the same strut assembly that was present to comply with the 'interim standard' in place from 12/73 to 6/74. Welcome to the Government not making up their minds...

3) I've never smogged my 75 280Z, and just to be a bit anal about it, it isn't "Exempt" from compliance, it just doesn't have to be physically tested at a smog station every two years like 76-Later cars. Get tagged on a roadside test, get turned in by a 1-800-CUT-SMOG do-gooder, or get pulled over by a CHP for a roadside smog device check, and you're trooping down to the Test-Only or Referee Station for that sniffer and visual compliance test. If you blow gross-polluter, guess what? You go back into the program....forever... Actually in this regard, I'd PREFER the later EFI cars as with the proper steps being taken in California.

) The Flat Tops from 73 and 74 are very different animals. My preference is the 73 carbs as they have bigger float bowls and can sustain a longer pull with a marginal fuel pump... but really the issue was said to be the 'carbs' when in reality pumping hot exhaust gasses through the intake manifold really was more of the issue. Hot start was an issue, but so it was on ALL 1973 and cars...including 350 Powered Chevy Impalas. The word on the street in the day was "don't buy a 73 because the starters bake with all the emissions crap on the car, and the vapor lock is terrible." Same quadrajet that was there before.... Hmmmmmmmm....

Better go back and check the facts:

3) I've never smogged my 75 280Z, and just to be a bit anal about it, it isn't "Exempt" from compliance, it just doesn't have to be physically tested at a smog station every two years like 76-Later cars. Get tagged on a roadside test, get turned in by a 1-800-CUT-SMOG do-gooder, or get pulled over by a CHP for a roadside smog device check, and you're trooping down to the Test-Only or Referee Station for that sniffer and visual compliance test. If you blow gross-polluter, guess what? You go back into the program....forever... Actually in this regard, I'd PREFER the later EFI cars as with the proper steps being taken in California.

THANK YOU! I am constantly trying to explain this to people and get a bunch of ignorant bull **** yelled at back at me. There is no such thing as Smog 'Exempt' in the state of California.

THANK YOU! I am constantly trying to explain this to people and get a bunch of ignorant bull **** yelled at back at me. There is no such thing as Smog 'Exempt' in the state of California.

The problem is people don't think about the wording. It's Smog exemption FROM BIANNUAL TESTING. The only vehicles that don't have to have smog equipment are those that didn't come with it from the factory. Which is nothing in the 70's.