HybridZ

Sealed Beam Conversion

tecreatta

I've glanced through the forums and didn't find a post related to sealed beams. I personally hate the buggers because replacing a whole housing seems like a pain plus they generally look ugly. I recently acquired a sealed beam conversion kit for my 280zx. The website I bought them from called them Euro-Headlights, so I thought I'd post pictures and see what others thought.

photo-5.jpgphoto-4.jpgphoto-3.jpg

Edited by tecreatta

if you just buy the REAL hid's that are now offered for around $350-400 youll REALLY appreciate the difference....i have tinted covers on my zx and they dont even touch the light output of the hids, by far the best money ive ever spent, and feeling alot safer for me/my car/and everyone else that is lit up now. Also my previous setup was the Heavy duty harness kit/relays/euro lights etc and while they help vs the stock brownish/yellow lights, the hids blow them out of the water by a mile

You didn't find anything because most people refer to it as an "H4 Lights Conversion"

A 'sealed-beam conversion' is what you did to the Model T with the acetylene lamps! :D

It appears you got some DOT MSR lights, they don't look E4 Compatible (from the photos)...

You might like the E-Code variants even more! It's curious they didn't come with a heavy rubber debris cap for the back of the bulb connection, most Euro H4 Reflectors come with that.

Edited by Tony D

I've glanced through the forums and didn't find a post related to sealed beams. I personally hate the buggers because replacing a whole housing seems like a pain plus they generally look ugly. I recently acquired a sealed beam conversion kit for my 280zx. The website I bought them from called them Euro-Headlights, so I thought I'd post pictures and see what others thought.

photo-5.jpgphoto-4.jpgphoto-3.jpg

What kind of projector is that in the last picture?

What you think is a 'projector' is merely the shade cap on the H4 capsule in the reflector.

Personally, I pull them out as it interferes with light transfer by about 30%. You do get the 'dazzle' bright spot in the center of the lens afterwards, but on E-Codes with their defined cutoff it's only really an issue on high-beam. And then there shouldn't be oncoming traffic to bother!

What you think is a 'projector' is merely the shade cap on the H4 capsule in the reflector.

Personally, I pull them out as it interferes with light transfer by about 30%. You do get the 'dazzle' bright spot in the center of the lens afterwards, but on E-Codes with their defined cutoff it's only really an issue on high-beam. And then there shouldn't be oncoming traffic to bother!

I'm talking about the black headlight in the last picture.

post-1991-071964400 1299959245_thumb.png

Projectors without the bug eye look :2thumbs:http://www.dapperlig...headlights.html

I like those headlights I know I've seen them before, I also ran into some other kind but I can't seem to find them on my bookmarks as I thought I had saved them. There also the ones you can find on hot rod magazines for a good price. Just wondering if $370 bucks is really worth it when you can probably make your own for less then half of that.

Or you can get these i know most of you seen these. If your willing to spend $400 with shipping, personally i don't like these but what the heck.

The whole kit you get.

post-5080-099518200 1299963430_thumb.jpg

what they look like on a S130

post-5080-033188200 1299963444_thumb.jpg

post-5080-070865300 1299963712_thumb.jpg

post-5080-070795500 1299963723_thumb.jpg

Looks to have good visibility

post-5080-034255200 1299963458_thumb.jpg

Choice of bulb color/temperature

post-5080-012830400 1299963930_thumb.jpg

These are sold on Ebay not sure of any other website offering these. Maybe with some headlight covers they look better or painted but i personally would not get these, its just a matter of personal preference.

Edited by 280zx@541

There are a lot of headlights out there for the 280zx one i prefer is this one:

Some LED's on these will run for $135, I'm sure you can custom fit a projector in there all it would take is baking the headlight (if its high heat resistant glass) taking the lid off cutting the hole for the projector and then reseal it which is what one of my friends did all you need is the a projector (ill find the website) the sealent and rebake them.

post-5080-027744700 1299964900_thumb.jpg

http://turbometal.com/lighting/crystal-headlight/h6054-7-inch-led-round-headlights-chrome.html

Similar to the ones above there not even real projector but they are off Ebay

post-5080-005169900 1299965494_thumb.jpg

post-5080-086534400 1299965552_thumb.jpg

If your on a budget get some off Ebay and custom fit a projector in there, or if you got the money spend the money and get the legit ones.

I like those headlights I know I've seen them before, I also ran into some other kind but I can't seem to find them on my bookmarks as I thought I had saved them. There also the ones you can find on hot rod magazines for a good price. Just wondering if $370 bucks is really worth it when you can probably make your own for less then half of that.Or you can get these i know most of you seen these. If your willing to spend $400 with shipping, personally i don't like these but what the heck.The whole kit you get.post-5080-099518200 1299963430_thumb.jpgwhat they look like on a S130post-5080-033188200 1299963444_thumb.jpgpost-5080-070865300 1299963712_thumb.jpgpost-5080-070795500 1299963723_thumb.jpgLooks to have good visibilitypost-5080-034255200 1299963458_thumb.jpgChoice of bulb color/temperaturepost-5080-012830400 1299963930_thumb.jpgThese are sold on Ebay not sure of any other website offering these. Maybe with some headlight covers they look better or painted but i personally would not get these, its just a matter of personal preference.

I manufacture the black projector sets (that's my s130 lol). They are dramatically brighter than stock headlights. PM me if you guys want hybridz pricing.

That isn't a projector. That is the back of the headlight.

Is that an optical illusion?? lol it looks like the front of a black projector for some reason... My mistake.

post-1991-006589800 1299973531_thumb.jpg

Edited by bens1088

guys i cannot explain how great these hids are that ben1088 got together for us, as far as making your own, if you just throw and hid ballast in those lenses youll be like the rest of the idiots that blind people cuz there is no cut off, making your own is too much of a pita.

Yes they are expensive (bought mine from a member that got them on a car he bought and didnt like the moderns cuz they stuck out) for $250....AGAIN best money you can spend on the car in my honest opinion, helps me carve the country roads up at night (when there is little/no police pressence vs during the day...not to mention i have a very "modern" looking car as seen by others vs the yellow/piss color the stock headlights put out. i just feel safer and have more fun with them, i even have the tinted covers on my zx and they barely affect them (and its only because of the angle) but that doesnt show up past 10-15ft/doesnt affect other drivers etc....but they are welllll worth the money and i wont ever have a z/zx or anything that takes a 7"round....without them installed on it, install was a breeze (without instructions) and very simple upgrade. ill get pics of cutoff and on the car etc when i get a chance.

Not true you can still have the cut off ive seen it plenty of time before my friends S14 240sx which he put projectors on his headlights and also put a clear lense on his headlights have a perfect cut out. It really depends on the actual projector that you buy and then custom fit it in your headlight I'll get all the website when I go to my friends tomorrow.

I manufacture the black projector sets (that's my s130 lol). They are dramatically brighter than stock headlights. PM me if you guys want hybridz pricing.

Is that an optical illusion?? lol it looks like the front of a black projector for some reason... My mistake.

What's the hybridZ price??!!

Not true you can still have the cut off ive seen it plenty of time before my friends S14 240sx which he put projectors on his headlights and also put a clear lense on his headlights have a perfect cut out. It really depends on the actual projector that you buy and then custom fit it in your headlight I'll get all the website when I go to my friends tomorrow.

I managed to find housings that are not lensed projectors but have an excellent cut off. We've got the cost down to around $175 for an HID conversion depending on where you source your parts from. If you like the bug eyed projector look Bens1088 has put in a lot of work to come up with a kit and I think most people have been happy with it so that is another option of course.

There is a DIY thread over here. I've also done a thread for the S130 guys to disable the fault light for the headlights over here.

Here is a picture of the HID's on my 370Z and the HID conversion on the 240Z showing that you can get excellent cut off without using projectors.

Low%20Beam%20-%20Center.jpg

Edited by FricFrac