HybridZ

240z rear spindle removal

I had a hard time getting those out as well. I ended up taking the whole strut and lower control arm out together. Once out of the car I was able to use a hammer to drive it out. The spindle was ruined beyond use as a result however. Be sure to take the cotter pin out first. Those are stubborn as well. Same deal. BFH. Damaged beyond re-use.

With a little luck it's easy to remove. First, use a lot penetrating oil and let it set for a day, WD-40, CNC's 5-56 etc. Then undo both nuts on the spindle pin and after that undo the nut on the cotter pin. Place the nut on the cotter pin so it covers the threads. Use a lead hammer to drive it out, hopefully no damage. Place the nut on the spindle pin without a washer so it covers the threads and use the lead hammer again to drive it half an inch or so. Then undo the nut and get a steel rod. Use the steel rod to drive the spindle pin out with use of a hammer. If your spindle pin thread get some damage, use a thread die to refresh it.

For me, it was an easy job that took 10 min per side. It wasent stuck with rust in my case as a previous owner had greased it up with copperpaste. Therefore, grease it with aluminium paste or copper paste when you reassemble.

Edited by HaaJeHaa

One quick note. Than tapered pin is only there to prevent the spindle pin from rotating when installing the nuts. That tapered pin doesn't need to be driven home with a 5 pound mall. I don't even have the small retaining nuts on mine. Be usre to use lots of anti-seize as others have mentioned.

We had the same problem with ours. We managed to shoehorn them in with a lever. Believe it or not, the bushings will compress enough to go on. It take some force though.

We had the arms and the struts in the car so they were not moving around too much. Get one end in and start the spindle into the strut. Next, use a lever to guide the other end in and compress the bushings. I don't remember what we used. Any thing long and thin should work.

Edited by beermanpete

• 2 months later...