HybridZ

Mercedes SL450 with an L-Series

RTz

Yeah that's one way to waste an engine on a car that easily weighs damn near twice as much as a Z...

My dad has a 280SL in the R107 body style and it probably makes pretty similar power to an L28, and it's not what I'd call fast by any means.

A much better swap is a Ford 302 into those things so it can actually go somewhere.

I can't tell if that plate is "306" or "506"---one reason for that swap in Japan is tax class... 506 plate would be 2-liter class and considerably cheaper.

When you look like that, who cares. Put the top down and cruise... :lol:

Ron - That car I am 100% guessing was a 280SL to begin with. As a by the way Mercedes starting putting the letters before the the numbers in 1996/7 (280SL vs. SL280 for example) and this car is easily as pre-1986.

Yeah that's one way to waste an engine on a car that easily weighs damn near twice as much as a Z...

My dad has a 280SL in the R107 body style and it probably makes pretty similar power to an L28, and it's not what I'd call fast by any means.

A much better swap is a Ford 302 into those things so it can actually go somewhere.

I would not jump to such a hasty conclusion...it is a cool engine swap...if you took time to notice this engine has individual throttle bodies, full engine standalone and I bet high compression, head work, a worked exhaust and a hot cam..on other words this baby will easily put down a cool 250whp and not break a sweat...the MB 2.8L could never run with this particular L28.

Personally..I like it..great \ tough stance and the Wantanabes look great too.

Yasin

I can't tell if that plate is "306" or "506"---one reason for that swap in Japan is tax class... 506 plate would be 2-liter class and considerably cheaper.

I had an '83 L20E powered C31 Nissan Laurel for a while, until it got stolen from where it was parked on the street, and stripped. That would not have been much lighter than the old Mercs, but it was a wonderful comfy cruiser.

With their sub 2L litre tax breaks, I think the Japanese must have the most small capacity engines in large executive cars of any country.