HybridZ

New bushings now arms wont fit?

We had the same problem with ours. We managed to shoehorn them in with a lever. Believe it or not, the bushings will compress enough to go on. It take some force though.

We had the arms and the struts in the car so they were not moving around too much. Get one end in and start the spindle into the strut. Next, use a lever to guide the other end in and compress the bushings. I don't remember what we used. Anything long and thin should work.

Just looked at the pic again... Wow, ours were tight, but didn't "overlap" THAT much!

My Son and I found success on our Z's by pressing in the inner bushings first - pushing them in real good - getting them seated tight as possible in the control arm. Then inserting the outer bushing and inner cylinder (in either order, whichever worked better - import part seemed to be getting the inner bushings in first and tight...)

We did his Urethane bushings a couple of weeks ago. One side required a little "shoehorn" - we used a piece of sheetmetal. The other side went right up - snug, but we did it by hand...

Edited by cgsheen

I just installed some the other day. Same brand and everything. They are a PITA. I used a plastic puddy knife and a rubber mallet to shoe horn them in. (I used plastic and rubber so I wouldn't mess up my powder coating.) Good luck....

Take a grinder or file and chamfer the edges of the strut. That'll help the strut ramp in and spread the bushing apart. It also helps to prevent the ID of the bushings from getting caught on the edges of the strut and folding over (something you wouldn't know until you took everything apart again).

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I would sand the bushings until the sleeve is JUST longer than the bushing. This will take some of the stiction out of the suspension. If that isn't enough to fit them in, then I do the two nuts and allthread as posted above.Just need to tweak the arm enough to slide the strut in.

Take a grinder or file and chamfer the edges of the strut. That'll help the strut ramp in and spread the bushing apart. It also helps to prevent the ID of the bushings from getting caught on the edges of the strut and folding over (something you wouldn't know until you took everything apart again).

Nigel

'73 240ZT

You will know if it is a problem if the spindle won't go in do to damage. Fortunately, by the time the bushing is near the strut it is better aligned and effectively a bit shorter so it may not have the interference it appears to at first. In my case I got the spindle in ok but have not had it apart since, so I cannot say it is or is not damaged. for what its worth, the car drive well.