HybridZ

Just ordered a fiberglass hood from prodbodies

mr jdm

So, Just ordered a fiberglass hood from prodbodies, Il see how it goes when it gets here. I really wanted to get a carbon fiber hood from prototype composites in WI, but he told me today he tossed his datsun mold. My next choice was Beta Motorsports but at 1,000 shipped. No chance. Now, my car is not a budget build by any means, however, theres 2 places I cant justify spending big cash on. That's wheels and a CF hood.

When the hood gets here, I plan on wrapping it in 3m Di-Noc. Il post pics when it arrives

Edited by mr jdm

So, Just ordered a fiberglass hood from prodbodies, Il see how it goes when it gets here. I really wanted to get a carbon fiber hood from prototype composites in WI, but he told me today he tossed his datsun mold. My next choice was Beta Motorsports but at 1,000 shipped. No chance. Now, my car is not a budget build by any means, however, theres 2 places I cant justify spending big cash on. That's wheels and a CF hood.

When the hood gets here, I plan on wrapping it in 3m Di-Noc. Il post pics when it arrives

Doesn't MSA make CF hoods?

EDIT: Just looked, Looks like they don't anymore.

Edited by 19762802+2

Not fair comparing the price of my CF hood shipped to the price of a FG hood shipped.

After reading posts from individuals that have ordered various FG hoods and those that have ordered John's hood it would be the best 220 bucks you've ever spent. I haven't read about prodbod but one member bought a hood and ended up doing extensive work before the fit was acceptable.

Even comparing your FG hood to their FG hood, you are 455 before shipping and they are at 230. Comparing quality would probably be a different ball park though.

That's fine. I was just concerned that your post implied that my FG hood costs a silly amount of money. I'm sure the Prototype Composites hood will be good quality and you'll be happy with it.

That's fine. I was just concerned that your post implied that my FG hood costs a silly amount of money. I'm sure the Prototype Composites hood will be good quality and you'll be happy with it.

I wish I could have gotten the Protoype Composites hood, they recently moved and when they did they didn't keep their datsun mold.Your prices are fine, but 98 dollars for a box does seem a little bit silly to me.

I wish I could have gotten the Protoype Composites hood, they recently moved and when they did they didn't keep their datsun mold.Your prices are fine, but 98 dollars for a box does seem a little bit silly to me.

Like I said, the box costs me $52.88 (66" x 56" x 8" custom two part), the furniture blanket I wrap the hood in costs me $9.95, the additional filler boxes and padding inside costs another $10, so we're at $72.88 for materials alone. It takes me about 1/2 hour to pack it and I pay myself $25.12 to do that, do the shipping paperwork, and help load it on the truck. I'm probably overcharging by .12 - :-) So far I've never had a shipping damage claim anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

I can attest to John's parts being packed very well. I bought a CF rear hatch. IT made it from CA to NC with out a scratch. I think it took me longer to unpack it than it did John to pack it. And the icing on the cake was it fits perfectly.

MR JDM, please post a follow up when you get your hood. I hope we have another vendor that makes great parts for our cars.

Like I said, the box costs me $52.88 (66" x 56" x 8" custom two part), the furniture blanket I wrap the hood in costs me $9.95, the additional filler boxes and padding inside costs another $10, so we're at $72.88 for materials alone. It takes me about 1/2 hour to pack it and I pay myself $25.12 to do that, do the shipping paperwork, and help load it on the truck. I'm probably overcharging by .12 - :-) So far I've never had a shipping damage claim anywhere in the world.

I just feel the need to chip in here...

I live in the UK (that's England...blighty...you know...fish and chips), and I had both the hood and the tailgate shipped to me from JohnC in the States.

The packing itself was a work of art, having gotten clearcoat parts, they came some 3000 miles...in mint condition, not a scratch. I gained one HUGE blanket, and quite possibly the biggest box in the entire world which I've since reused to hold my windscreen. The tailgate especially was incredibly well made, no fibreglass that carbon part...the point being. The part will fit, and it will fit perfectly. You will be proud of it.

For the money, you can't get better made parts, which equally, come with the best disclaimer letter I have ever read.

It will be here on Monday, can't wait, and hope I wont be posting how shitty it is. HA!

or maybe how the corners arent crush becuase of poor packaging. I find it hardpressed that the quality would be ok. I could be wrong but doubt it. The betamotorsport quality speaks for itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never purchased fiberglass or cf parts before. Here is my take on it so far.

The hod itself looks good and nearly fits perfect. The corners are in good shape. It ships with padding in wood frame cardbood box. There is an x brace underneath the hood that goes from all 4 corners through the center of the hood.

I do however, have the hood pinned down in all 4 corners, using some brackets by the headlight buckets. While driving around 70-80 mph. My hood is "lifting" or "flexing" in the center. It isn't coming up where the pins are, but the distance between the pins lifts up.

Anything I can do about this?

I have never purchased fiberglass or cf parts before. Here is my take on it so far.

The hod itself looks good and nearly fits perfect. The corners are in good shape. It ships with padding in wood frame cardbood box. There is an x brace underneath the hood that goes from all 4 corners through the center of the hood.

I do however, have the hood pinned down in all 4 corners, using some brackets by the headlight buckets. While driving around 70-80 mph. My hood is "lifting" or "flexing" in the center. It isn't coming up where the pins are, but the distance between the pins lifts up.

Anything I can do about this?

You can add a 5th and 6th hood pin at the strut towers.

I was thinking about that, Im all for function over form, but I dont know how I'm going to feel with 6 pins on my hood.

It almost can't be helped with the weak structure to that hood.Our hoods are longer than most other cars. Unless you want to add on to the bracing it already has the pins will be the easiest way. It will just look a little funny.