HybridZ

Found a rotor for my 5 lug swap out back

tec280zx

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's not imperative to have custom bolts made up. I saw what he is doing and was very tempted to buy the kit but as I am in AUS I think I'll just use it as inspiration :> also I know it makes it less reversible but I like the idea of the pins going through the rail.

Edited by ovenfood

I'm sure it's not imperative to have custom bolts made up. I saw what he is doing and was very tempted to buy the kit but as I am in AUS I think I'll just use it as inspiration :> also I know it makes it less reversible but I like the idea of the pins going through the rail.

Yea, I figured they might be custom machined. I agree with mounting the studs through the rails though. Doesn't make it any less reversible since the stock sub frame doesn't have to mount in the rear.

I think I'm probably going to weld in a tube into the rail that the studs can slide into. Without any extra support, the rails probably won't hold up to the force that's put on it. Very thin sheet metal. Future roll cage could maybe tie into these points too. I don't know just thinking out loud. I found some studs on McMaster-Carr that are the same diameter as the s13 mounts, just need to get a hold of stock thicker tubing to weld in. Right now I have nothing welded in for the sake of mouting it up and checking clearances.

Kind of like how another member here mull did it.

Instead of the square tubing it will be the cross rail.

tech.jpg

Edited by tec280zx

The later subframe upgrade is pretty popular in Japan--most of the cars that came to the ZCON in Y2K which had RB Swaps has the R32/R33 subframe swap done to them. Tetsu Takakamo and his RB26 powered S130 may have used a Z32 subframe---I can't remember now which he said he used. I think one or more of them were Z32 subframe-converted.

No I found it on R31.com or something similar. I'll be doing it on a mate's S130 first as I have kind of stopped most car related activity's (just bought a house....). But I am semi confident if I cut it right I can weld it on in a way that will make it look good (not going to explain it because more than likely I won't get it right and have to go another way :<). If all goes to plan me and soopakarr are going to sit down this week-end and work out what we need and get one of his S13 rears prepped so I can start the brackets/ spacers.

Yea I have to let the bank account fill back up before I can continue. Probably next i'll buy the rear studs and other hardware, aluminum spacer, etc. In the meantime I need to get out to the wrecking yard and look for some Q45/J30 5 lug stuff.

You have no idea on how you just made my day. I'm planning to do the exact same to the rear of my ZX. I thank you now because you have shown that it'll be a little easier than I had anticipated. I will be following this closely.

Ok, having trouble finding some bolts for the rear mounts. The s13 measure 7/8 in. inside diamer. A 7/8 bolt won't fit and 3/4 leaves too much gap. I don't want the subframe to be able to move at while driving. So I look into metric sizes and 7/8 in. is 22.2 mm. So I look for a 22mm bolt but can't seem to find one locally. They have 22mm but not in the length I need. (about 200mm or 7 3/4in). Fastenal carries 22mm x 200mm bolts but they are like 36 bucks a pop. Wasn't trying to drop 70+ dollars on some bolts. Any experts out there think the 3/4in bolt would be ok once tightened up? I'm not usually cheap but a 3/4 bolt is about $5 vs 36. I guess I will if I have too.

Get the 7/8, stick it in a drill/drill press, spin it up, apply 80 grit sand paper till at desired diameter, buff, apply corrosion inhibitor and paint (thinly). Bam!

I know thats a little crass but it's cheap and it "will" work. Nissan stuff is always metric in my experience. In my opinion you may find it easier to pull the old pins of a S13/ most Nissan's and use them :>

Not looking forward to removing the stock rubber bushings though. Just as bad as the s130 except theres 4 of them! Well I got the front ones out, but I wasn't using those anyways. I should just order solid bushings and take the bolts to a machine shop to have them opened up a bit to fit. Alright, I'm off to work now, been lagging too much this morning. :)

• 2 weeks later...