HybridZ

Opinion on 240z

I am completely new to the Z car game, and I thought I'd ask some people I know before I jumped into this project. An old friend of mine's grandfather has a 1971 Datsun 240z on his property that has sat there for a little over 10 years now. I did a one over of the car to find surface rust over about 60% of the body, major body rust on about 3-5% of the body. There is no frame rust that I could see and as he is the first owner, he informed me that the vehicle had never been in a collision. Whatever my plans would be, I would not be returning the car to stock standards by any means. The gentleman offered me this car for the amazing price of cutting his front lawn. My question for you all is, should I go through with this? I have never bought a vehicle with any rust on it before, although I do have experience in body work.

I am completely new to the Z car game, and I thought I'd ask some people I know before I jumped into this project. An old friend of mine's grandfather has a 1971 Datsun 240z on his property that has sat there for a little over 10 years now. I did a one over of the car to find surface rust over about 60% of the body, major body rust on about 3-5% of the body. There is no frame rust that I could see and as he is the first owner, he informed me that the vehicle had never been in a collision. Whatever my plans would be, I would not be returning the car to stock standards by any means. The gentleman offered me this car for the amazing price of cutting his front lawn. My question for you all is, should I go through with this? I have never bought a vehicle with any rust on it before, although I do have experience in body work.

Get it. Its essentially a free car. If the rust is too much for you to tackle you can part the car out and probably get $1,000 total once all the parts are sold. Also, its a tool to teach yourself about rust and body repair. If you f*&^ it up, no big deal.

Get it. Its essentially a free car. If the rust is too much for you to tackle you can part the car out and probably get $1,000 total once all the parts are sold. Also, its a tool to teach yourself about rust and body repair. If you f*&^ it up, no big deal.

Sounds good. Now its on to deciding what I want to do with it!

Any free car is worth it.

My thoughts, I just wanted to make sure.

I guess it depends on how many acres his front yard is! Few hundred? :)

Yeah get it for sure. I'd go one step farther. See if you can cust his yard once a month /week and see if you can work on it there! You never know unless you ask.

CUT THAT LAWN!!!!!

Heck yeah, free Z!!! No really, a little rust isn't a big deal, it's where you're seeing any holes rusted through that may take some work. It's worth it though, and if you don't think so, you coule sell it or part it likely for at least $500 bucks at the min. Got any picts?? Go a VIN? If it's been sitting for that long it's probably going to need some work to get it running again. but the good side is that most of the parts are relatively cheap...

Grats on one of the highest paid lawnmowing jobs of the summer!

If you have a welder/plan on getting a welder, then all rust issues can be solved, and you should definitly take the car and enter it into LeMons or Chump Car.

If you don't have a welder/don't want one, then take it and part it out. There are parts on it that are worth money for sure.