HybridZ

Well... Time To Join The "Hybrid Z" Generation

Hi all...

I have decided to "Jump In" and see what happens...

I just sold the brand new L6 setup in my 240z and am jumping into the V8 swap club. This was "slightly" difficult choice since I was so close and the L6 drivetrain was all brand new and VERY nice! But, this was the long term plan anyway and I decided not to spend any more on the L6 setup just to have to do it all over again.

Quick summary of progress to date...

- New front suspension - All powdercoated or painted. New ST springs, Tokico blues, bushings, ball joints and tie rods.

- Rear Suspension - Freshly built R200 w/3:90's. All powdercoated or painted. New ST springs, Tokico blues, bushings, RT Diff mount, etc.

- Rear disc conversion complete. All stainless lines and new 15/16" master cylinder.

- Interior - Dash restoration in progress. New carpet kit, Prelude seats, nice audio system to install. Should be NICE!

What I have to put into the car...

- 1994 LT1 w/mild build. Stock bottom end, mild comp cam & Beehive's, light port/polish. 15k total on engine

- Hughes performance 4L60e - SOLID transmission!

- Precision Industries 3k stall

- 2001 Z28 fuel tank - ready to go

- Almost all "engine and trans" based items - Harness, pcm, mounts, etc. Still need a few small things

What else to get...

- JTR kit - will order on Monday!

- Headers. Not sure if I will get coated or stainless

- Roll bar - just looking for a street bar of some sort initally

Next steps...

- Rip out current drivetrain - will be done by next weekend!

- Get everything for LT1 and other misc parts powdercoated - within 2 weeks

- Bolt in new engine/trans - 4-5 weeks out...

- Finish dash refurbishment and install

Then, I will keep going on the body work. ZG's are going on the car.

I hope to have this car running by the end of June. Painted and on the road by the end of July or mid-August. We'll see... :blink:

A few pics of progress to date. It is coming along well. The white on the dash is plastic primer. Will be gone and covered with SEM texture finish.

You will see me around this forum a LOT more going forward! :rockon:

Thanks,

Tim

post-4001-014313900 1303623161_thumb.jpg

post-4001-087479700 1303623218_thumb.jpg

post-4001-029492800 1303623252_thumb.jpg

post-4001-060478300 1303623288_thumb.jpg

post-4001-024860200 1303623382_thumb.jpg

post-4001-061945600 1303623432_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

Welcome to the dark side! Looks like you have a great plan and a good start for the conversion. One thing you want to look at is the tranny tunnel. I had to "beat" on the driver's side a bit to get the 4L60E to fit. You will have to eliminate all of the stock tranny mount.

Hi all...

I have decided to "Jump In" and see what happens...

I just sold the brand new L6 setup in my 240z and am jumping into the V8 swap club. This was "slightly" difficult choice since I was so close and the L6 drivetrain was all brand new and VERY nice! But, this was the long term plan anyway and I decided not to spend any more on the L6 setup just to have to do it all over again.

Quick summary of progress to date...

- New front suspension - All powdercoated or painted. New ST springs, Tokico blues, bushings, ball joints and tie rods.

- Rear Suspension - Freshly built R200 w/3:90's. All powdercoated or painted. New ST springs, Tokico blues, bushings, RT Diff mount, etc.

- Rear disc conversion complete. All stainless lines and new 15/16" master cylinder.

- Interior - Dash restoration in progress. New carpet kit, Prelude seats, nice audio system to install. Should be NICE!

What I have to put into the car...

- 1994 LT1 w/mild build. Stock bottom end, mild comp cam & Beehive's, light port/polish. 15k total on engine

- Hughes performance 4L60e - SOLID transmission!

- 2001 Z28 fuel tank - ready to go

- Almost all "engine and trans" based items - Harness, pcm, mounts, etc. Still need a few small things

What else to get...

- JTR kit - will order on Monday!

- Headers. Not sure if I will get coated or stainless

- Roll bar - just looking for a street bar of some sort initally

Next steps...

- Rip out current drivetrain - will be done by next weekend!

- Get everything for LT1 and other misc parts powdercoated - within 2 weeks

- Bolt in new engine/trans - 4-5 weeks out...

- Finish dash refurbishment and install

Then, I will keep going on the body work. ZG's are going on the car.

I hope to have this car running by the end of June. Painted and on the road by the end of July or mid-August. We'll see... :blink:

A few pics of progress to date. It is coming along well. The white on the dash is plastic primer. Will be gone and covered with SEM texture finish.

You will see me around this forum a LOT more going forward! :rockon:

Thanks,

Tim

Just have to ask, what method/process was used to do such a good job on the Dash. Have to do one of these myself. The paint job shown is very good.

Welcome to the dark side! Looks like you have a great plan and a good start for the conversion. One thing you want to look at is the tranny tunnel. I had to "beat" on the driver's side a bit to get the 4L60E to fit. You will have to eliminate all of the stock tranny mount.

Thanks for the tips! I knew that the factory trans mount goes away, but have heard different info on the tunnel. I have an array of hammers available! :lol:

Just have to ask, what method/process was used to do such a good job on the Dash. Have to do one of these myself. The paint job shown is very good.

Thank you! The paint on there is actually just a plastic primer and most will come off prior to finish texture and color. I still need to apply the SEM Texture finish and final color coat (gray - entire interior is changing to gray).

Here is a link to the thread showing the repair process info over on the "Classic Z Forum"... Very good results for several people so far. I am happy with the progress! http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?23919-Dash-Repair-Process-Pictures

Edited by SSuspect

L6 drivetrain went away today. $1600 cash in hand. Will call JTR tomorrow. Once I get all of the JTR parts, everything will go to the powdercoater. JTR kit, intake, oil pan, brackets, TC cover, etc.

Have to get underneath and clean everything. Debating on floor pans... Now or later??? :angry::unsure: Mine are not terrible, but they are not great. I want to do the pans and Bully Dog rails at the same time. But, I REALLY want to drive this car this summer. I am thinking that I can do the pans and rails next winter.

Looking for a decent street roll bar for a decent price. This will be in the car before it is on the road.

And so it begins...

Edit: The little white lines in the picture are snow flakes. Yep - still snowing in Colorado Springs on May 1st. Gotta love the Rocky Mountains! :D

post-4001-065287300 1304292830_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

If you use the stock gauges, let me know what you use to get the VSS signal converted to mechanical for the speedometer. Thanks

Nope - not going with stock gauges. I like them, but everything else is being upgraded, so I decided to change them out.

But, the JTR TPI/TBI book has good info. They also sell the tail shaft setups that can be used if needed. Prices are good. Go to this link and you can actually get to the chapter that talks about the VSS stuff. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_TPI_TBI_V-8.html

I knew I found on their site or in the book somewhere what I thought I needed, think I just found it again. I am still using the stock gauges so I need the input to still go to the ECU and also a mechanical drive to go to the dash. I was just going to use a Cable X box but from what I see JTR makes what I need. Thanks for the help.

Quick update...

V8 swap kit will be here Tuesday - then off to the powder-coater on Wednesday (along with a bunch of other stuff!). Going to start going through all of the LT1 stuff tomorrow to see what else I need. I have nearly everything for the swap.

Got some time to work on the dash today. I am VERY happy with the results!

Finished all of the body work and applied the SEM Texture coating. It went on pretty dry and I had to knock it down with some 400 grit. It ended up with a very nice texture!

Then applied 3 coats of SEM "Presidio Gray" Flexible Color Coat. It has a really nice color and will look great with the all black gauges and bezels. The entire interior is changing to gray.

I will post a "Dash Resto" post in the interior section when it is done and installed.

post-4001-050672800 1304827778_thumb.jpg

post-4001-009537500 1304827833_thumb.jpg

post-4001-060164400 1304827858_thumb.jpg

Man I need to stop tinkering on my beetle so I can get my Datsun finished before you. :P That dash looks awesome by the way, I need to fix up my spare and sell it.

Also there is a 240z on craigslist and he has some floor pans and other body parts if your wanting them and don't want to have to deal with shipping, maybe he will part some of it out.

Edited by 19762802+2

Man I need to stop tinkering on my beetle so I can get my Datsun finished before you. :P That dash looks awesome by the way, I need to fix up my spare and sell it.

Also there is a 240z on craigslist and he has some floor pans and other body parts if your wanting them and don't want to have to deal with shipping, maybe he will part some of it out.

Thanks on the dash. My neighbor came by last night and said "Finally gave up and bought a new one, huh?"... :lol: I am fitting the 3 gauges now. The Speedhut tach and speedo will be here in a few days.

I saw the 240 on CL. Can use the pans, but not the car. I'll call him and ask. Thanks!

Welcome to the site. It appears you are knowledgeable about the Z. It's going to be fun.

Thanks 310Z! I've been lurking for a long time, but just pulled the "Hybrid" trigger a couple of weeks ago.

I have been learning about this car as I go. Everything is so simple and logical! I am having a blast with it so far - one of these days, I might actually drive it! :D

Thanks,

Tim

Wow, I'm really liking your build--looks to be high in quality and pretty quick too!

Davy

Thanks Davy. I am trying to do it right. I have that "while I am this far, I may as well do everything else under here" syndrome! :blink:

I've actually had the car for about 3 years, but did not REALLY dig into in until the last 12 months. Have made good progress during that time.

On a side note - there was a box from Stealth Conversions at my front door today. I wonder what that might be??? :2thumbs:

Hey Nathan - I was able to get the floor pans! Thanks for the motivation! He is now parting the car out and will make some extra $$ for doing so. :cheers:

• 3 months later...