HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

For $17k that paint & body work had better be perfect. Go over it with a magnifying glass when they finally give it back to you. You should have the nicest S30 on the planet when you're done.

You planing on pitting a full leather interior in it too? Don't let them convince you that you have to go with an "automotive" grade carpet either. I put a thick pile house carpet in mine. It was a bear for the upholstery guy but he did it and it's beautiful.

They are fully aware of what I expect from them, I will go over it from top to bottom with a magnifying glass. These guys do awesome paint jobs, they are not super-fast though as you can see. I met them at car shows when I was showing my Corvette and their paint jobs normally would walk away with best of paint awards.

As for the interior you are correct, I'm going with full leather, black with greyish/silver suede inserts. All the factory vinyl will be replaced with leather, including the rear shock towers. The double stitching will be in blue to match the car's exterior. I never thought about using house carpert, thanks for the tip.

This may not be the best S30 around but it should be able to hang with the best of them as it should have the looks and power/performance to represent S30's well anywhere it goes. God knows I will have more money in this car than it will ever be worth, good thing I'm not doing this as an investment....LOL

One thing I would like to mention, if it was not for this forum it would have made this 10 times harder than it already is, members like yourself, SUNNYZ, RebekahsZ, JMortesen, litman, 1tuffz, texis 300 and others who have a lot of experience sharing your knowledge is a tremendous help. Thanks guys if any of you are ever in Houston drinks are on me. :)

Keep the project alive.  I just read almost the entire thread today, it either makes me want to rush to get an LS3 swap and restore on the way.  Or say eff that noise and keep my money in the bank.  But in any event what you are doing is totally droolworthy and is the kind of thing that makes people dream about doing their perfect car build.  The fact that you have owned the car for as long as you have is really the icing on the cake, I can't wait to see the end result you will probably be the happiest guy on earth the day that happens :) 

Keep the project alive.  I just read almost the entire thread today, it either makes me want to rush to get an LS3 swap and restore on the way.  Or say eff that noise and keep my money in the bank.  But in any event what you are doing is totally droolworthy and is the kind of thing that makes people dream about doing their perfect car build.  The fact that you have owned the car for as long as you have is really the icing on the cake, I can't wait to see the end result you will probably be the happiest guy on earth the day that happens :)

Thank you, I really appreciate your comments. I can't wait to get it finished.

Some pictures of my interior to give you a few ideas.

LOL, what a small world. I have pictures of that same interior and I never knew who's car it was. I have no idea where I got them but that's how I got my idea to go with the silver inserts in the seat. That's a nice interior, sorry that I borrowed some of your ideas. What did you do with the headliner? Did you go leather as well?

Well then... I happen to be in town, Spring to be exact....... now a days I keep the drinks to a few only one day a week so I should go light on you.

No problem, I will drink your portion. :) Hopefully we can get together someday and talk S30's.

The headliner is black Katskin leather and the 'A' pillars are also wrapped in leather because of the mods done in the A pillar plastic to mount the tweeters from the front speakers. The 10" subwoofer in the back is a ported fiberglassed box custom built for that spot and covered in leather. The only non leather surface in the car is the liner in the spare tire well.  It is black naugahyde.  I have a picture of it somewhere  if you have interest.  I also modified the back deck so that it hinges up in the front to give access to the wells behind the seats that used to have doors to them in the 240's. I originally used them for storage but now one has the CD changer in it and the other has the cross-overs and the capacitor for the sound system in it. The amplifier is a 500 Watt Alpine unit and it is plenty of that small space.  If I had it to do over I would probably mount it across from the subwoofer rather in the middle.  It occupies a lot of storage space but it does look cool sitting there.

Like I said before - the guy doing the upholstery whined a lot about how stiff the house carpet was but he got it done.  It did a lot to make the car quieter inside but it also added weight and reduced the width of the area where the gas pedal is.  If you have 12D's like me then you would need to wear slim shoes to not get tangled up in the brake when working the throttle.  It doesn't give me any problems now but it was an issue I didn't think about when opting for the dynamat and the thick carpet.

Hey - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  You could make it identical for all I care. It's your car and having it the way you want it for your personal tastes is what it is all about.  Have fun. :-)

Edited by Phantom

Thank you. I will go with leather for a headlinner as well. I'm far from getting the interior put together but I like to think ahead. My plan is to run four JL Audio 6X9's. 2 behind the seats, facing forward in the compartmet you were talking about. I had them welded shut to create a box effect. The other 2 will be at the rear where the tailight cover's used to be. I bought the MSA pannel and had it wrapped in leather. I will also be running 2 JL Audio 6.5" speakers in the doors, everything is going to be driven by a 6 channel 600W JL Audio Amp.

That should be enough for that little cabin I think. :)

Mine has two 6.5" in the doors, a 1" done tweeter in each 'A' pillar, two 5.25" in the stock locations in the side panels behind the seats, and the 10" subwoofer in the rear side panel. It's all powered by a 4-channel 500 watt Alpine amp with half the power going to the subwoofer. It will drive you out of the cabin or deafen you if you turn it all the way up. Love it. :-)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind in case the body shop does not come through.

I wish I could afford to take it to Dooley and Son's. If you have never stopped by their shop I definitely suggest it. These guys are true metal workers, they make everything from scratch, from quarter panels to doors. No cheap aftermarket parts will go on their cars. They work panels to the point that you can't see welds at all. No need for body filler, you can literally clear coat over their bare metal. They don't mess around with any media blasting it's acid dipping the cars or you can take your car elsewhere. According to them acid dipping is the best way to get behind the welds and neutalize any rust that may be developing but unseen to the naked eye.

I saw a 50's truck they were working on and it was incredible the quality of their metal work. This thing was in bare metal and could have been painted or cleared without any body filler at all. That's a lost art, there are not many body shops that work like that not to mention there are not many customers that can afford that type of work including myself. I talked to them about my car and they told me $40,000 would get me started on paint and body work only.

The truck I looked at had 2000 hours in metal work and at $100 per hour it can get pricy to say the least. The good thing is that if you are rich you can still get the best quality restoration money can by done right here in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the engine is almost complete. The only hold up is the ATI Chromed balancer. There has been some issues getting the chrome right and it had to be re-done. I hope to have it to Mast soon as I can't wait to see what this motor will put down on their dyno.

post-14557-0-39547700-1400784170_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the engine is almost complete. The only hold up is the ATI Chromed balancer. There has been some issues getting the chrome right and it had to be re-done. I hope to have it to Mast soon as I can't wait to see what this motor will put down on their dyno.

Beautiful motor