HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

I would have requested some sort of compensation for using your intake as an advertising tool......o take the pic down......

I don't mind helping some Texas boys make some money. I will make sure I ask for a discount when I order my relays and switches.

Pretty awesome project, it's hard for me personally to accept anything other a 6-cylinder in a Z but good job though, has to be said.

Thank you, I understand what you mean. I had the 6 cylinder that was in there running very well for many years. It was bored, cammed with performance injectors, throtle body and Nitrous as well. For the longest time I swore only Nissan parts would go on this car. Then I bought an LS7 Z06 Corvette and that was the end of the Nissan 6 cylinder. The torque and hp of an LS motor its just hard to beat and I had to have one for my 280Z. After I'm done with this one I hope I can restore a 240Z and keep it all original this way I have the best of both worlds.

• 1 month later...

Moving slow at the body shop, it will be 2 years this month since I dropped my car off to get worked on. My patience is running out and frustration is starting to set in.

The only cure for that is to buy more parts so I ordered the Arizona Z lower control arms, differential brace and Wilwood brakes. I’m very pleased with the quality of their parts.

The plan is to have the calipers painted red to match the lettering on my intake and to have the aluminum suspension parts clear coated in order to maintain the same look year after year.

post-14557-0-67335500-1391269874_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-32246900-1391269917_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-94875800-1391269949_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-66092300-1391270080_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-70400500-1391270106_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-98013500-1391270135_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-09862000-1391270164_thumb.jpg

Ordering parts is my crack. Returning them cause my plan doesn't work is my Debbie downer. Except for the p-brake, the AZC brakes truly bolt on. Be sure to check front LCA to rotor clearance on and off the jack stands before you roll the car. And put at least some torque on the stub axle retention nut before you install rear calipers. Bleeding fronts is a pain because the bleeder is not at the top of the cylinder at the angle they mount. Bleeding rear is a dream. The hardware is so nice, it was the first time I have ever enjoyed doing brake work.

Thanks for the tips Keith, I will double check everything before I roll the car. Ordering parts is like crack, fortunately I have not had to return anything but then again I have not begun assembling the car yet. I hope things go together as I expect and be able to get the car on the road soon after I get it from the bodyshop.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally decided to order the motor. Drove up to Mast Motorsports and ordered their Black Label 416 LS3 turnkey stroker. These guys have an awesome facility. I dropped off my intake and other parts they will need to install on the motor before they dyno it. I had a hell of a time finding a chrome plated harmonic balancer for an LS3. I was able to get in touch with ATI and they are making one for me for a small fee of course. :)

I just thought it would not look right to have all accessories chromed and a black harmonic balancer. I will post some pictures when I get the dyno sheet and pick up the motor.

After I'm done with this one I hope I can restore a 240Z and keep it all original this way I have the best of both worlds.

I have VIN 1779 1970 240Z at the place right now. I'm in the process of getting it running so I can get a clear title for it. At that point it will be up for sale. Once I get that done I'll know what I have invested in it and I'll post it along with photos and a price. This car has a dealer added AC and sunroof and, other than just being old and neglected, is all original except for the wheels.

I have VIN 1779 1970 240Z at the place right now. I'm in the process of getting it running so I can get a clear title for it. At that point it will be up for sale. Once I get that done I'll know what I have invested in it and I'll post it along with photos and a price. This car has a dealer added AC and sunroof and, other than just being old and neglected, is all original except for the wheels.

Let me know when you are ready to sell it, depending where I am with this one and of course the asking price and condition I may be your guy.

LOL.... that is very funny I know someone who just bought their whole set up from there as well ( he is building a 77 280Z).  They got it with a Magnum T56 as well.  He is supposed to go up there and pick it up any day now.  Mast is cool, if they were there when I was in school at SFA I would have not had enough money to go out !!!!! Man that town has changed.  

You and your chrome....

Should be a stout engine!

Funny you should mention chrome....LOL

I just came back from the platers and picked up my timing cover, ARP Harmonic balancer bolt and washer. I also stopped off at the machine shop that modified my water pump with AN fittings. Similar to what you are doing. I need to send all this to Mast in order for them to assemble my engine. The only thing I'm missing for them to finish is the harmonic balancer and ATI said I should have it by the end of next week.

LOL.... that is very funny I know someone who just bought their whole set up from there as well ( he is building a 77 280Z).  They got it with a Magnum T56 as well.  He is supposed to go up there and pick it up any day now.  Mast is cool, if they were there when I was in school at SFA I would have not had enough money to go out !!!!! Man that town has changed.  

That is funny, when I went there they asked me what car this motor is going in and they mentioned your friend's 77 280Z. They thought he lived in Houston but were not sure. I like Mast, the main thing is they have a good reputation for building strong motors that last.They are not cheap that's for sure but a great bunch of guys to deal with.

I agree with you, that town has changed since I used to go there and party.

post-14557-0-09146900-1399071154_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-05470900-1399071177_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-94314600-1399071197_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-19038300-1399071219_thumb.jpg

I took my car to a shop in Arlington, TX. They tore the car apart - removed all the glass, doors, hatch & hood. Sanded the body down, repaired the small amount of rust they found, took care of a bunch of small hail dents, installed the MSA Aero II 4-piece ground effects kit and painted the car Cadillac Eldorado pearl red with a white racing stripe. They did it in 5 weeks for $2,500. But that was in 1997.

The body shop is criminal. For them to take this long is outrageous. 

Yes sir, I could not agree more. I know there was more work on my car than what we first thought but not 2 years worth of work especially when I took them a shell of a car completely stripped.

I took my car to a shop in Arlington, TX. They tore the car apart - removed all the glass, doors, hatch & hood. Sanded the body down, repaired the small amount of rust they found, took care of a bunch of small hail dents, installed the MSA Aero II 4-piece ground effects kit and painted the car Cadillac Eldorado pearl red with a white racing stripe. They did it in 5 weeks for $2,500. But that was in 1997.

I wish mine would only cost me $2,500. They originally quoted me $12,000 that's before they found rust under both lower corners of the windshield, both upper and lower corners of the rear quarter pannels, the rear valance was rusted badly, the front fenders had rust under the flares, the rocker pannels had rust at the rear corners and last but not least there was rust under the battery tray. They wound up removing all the fiberglass flares and making new ones out of steel. They also removed the drip rails and made holes for my dual exhaust in the new rear valance they fabricated. I was able to locate 2 brand new OEM fenders for them to use, I also provided the fiberglass hood and MSA front airdam. Good thing is the entire car has been down to bare metal now and all the cancer has been cut out and replaced with new metal.

Bad thing is the latest price update I received is $17,000 without any of the parts that I have provided, that's only labor and paint related materials. I hope that's where it stays becasue frankly this project is getting out of hand.