HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

I know one thing for sure, chrome is not cheap. I have a small fortune in chrome parts already, thank god I'm almost done. If I had to do it over I may have gone a different route. I just think chrome is more period correct for a 70's car than carbon fiber for example. Not to mention it's timeless. Nothing like looking into a classic cars engine bay and see a nicely chromed out motor. The same goes for the interior, the S30 interior has always been very dull, black gauges, black dash with no accents of any other color. A few chrome accents against a black background should bring the interior to life.

I guess we will see when I get the car put together if I made the right choice. If not I guess I can do it all in carbon fiber and put 22" rims on it.....LOL

I'm using Airline Plating which is local for most of it, for intricate parts I'm sending it to Dallas to Al's & Associates and for plastic chrome I have found that Datsun LLC does a good job since the do real chrome plating on plastic not chrome paint of vacuum metalizing which is crap.

• Like 1

Also Denver bumper works. I think they told me it was $300 ish to straighten, fill and bolt holes I didn't want, rechrome , and ship back to me a 240 front bumper. The back bumper was more because it's 3 pieces. That's what this guy used and it looks nice in the photos.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/betzy-240z-updates-for-2013-t570373.html

http://www.denverbumper.com/

Just got my Nick Williams 102mm Throtle Body. This thing is big. Also received the FAST injectors and Mast Motorsports Black Label fuel rails. Just waiting on my FAST 102 Intake in order to have it custom painted and send it off to have the direct port NOS done. I will post some pictures when I get it completed.

post-14557-0-82208400-1378569492_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-81792800-1378569514_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-53668000-1378569659_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-77750800-1378569698_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress but did get some more chrome. It’s funny how getting a chrome tensioner can be such a PITA. First I bought a new tensioner from GM then I had to purchase a billet aftermarket pulley since the GM factory part is plastic and chroming plastic is another PITA. Then I had it all chrome plated of course.

post-14557-0-61971600-1379784577_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-50127800-1379784602_thumb.jpg

LOL

You guys may be right.

texis300 all you need it not to look at the chrome directly so it does not blind you.

RebekahsZ, have you been talking to my wife? LOL she says the same thing to me especially when she sees the receipts from the chrome platers. The good thing is I don't have much chrome left to do. I wonder if there is a chrome rehab clinic I can go to?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the dash is done. I had sent out my original gauges to be restored and have the faces painted white. I also sent out all the plastic and metal trim to be chrome plated. The gauges where hand painted, incredible detail and the pictures do not do them justice. I think the hardest part was having the plastic chrome plated. The disassembly and reassembly was no fun and games either. I’m very satisfied with the results but to be honest for the money I spent doing this I could have bought 3 sets of aftermarket gauges.

Either way if I had to do it again I would do it the same way just because I always like the look of the factory gauges and wanted to keep them if I could.

post-14557-0-30057500-1382815012_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-47047500-1382815038_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-69559300-1382815060_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-91690800-1382815081_thumb.jpg

Finally got the intake together, now it will be headed to Nitrous Outlet next week for them to work their majic on a direct port system. Will post pics when I get it back.

BOOOO

NX all the way!!

Haha I'm biased though - NX has always treated me right.

BOOOO

NX all the way!!

Haha I'm biased though - NX has always treated me right.

I agree. You can't go wrong with NX, I have used them before without any issues. Nitrous Dave has been doing custom plumming for a long time as well though and he was closer to me as I wanted to drop off the intake in person and point out exactly what I wanted done instead of trying to explain it over the phone. I guess I will soon find out how good they are right?

That dash looks awesome. Your going to have to wear shades at night when you turn on the dash lights and they start reflecting off that chrome. Lol. Great work! BTW, every piece of chrome added will add 5 horsepower!

Thanks, It does not seem like it but it was a lot of work. No need to wear shades just dim the dash lights... :icon10: