HybridZ

Carburated power

AFCrain

I wish i could give firm numbers to add into this conversation, but i am determined to get some. My slightly modified L24 with SU's runs great with SU's-that are almost new. My butt dyno was shot down at the 1/4 mile track and i was disappointed, but again the car feels strong. I am determined to get the most I can out of my SU's using a newly installed wideband and a dyno to tune. I have a almost new set of Mikuni 40's sitting on a shelf begging to be bolted on, but I am holding off until I have exhausted my options with my bolt on SU's. I want a real- measurable comparision of properly tune options. First the SU's and then the Mikuni's. I have the bolt-on headers and modified exhaust, cam, bigger valves, slight port work, better ignition and again I was disappointed at the track. It is all about tune at this point since the dyno showed a definite lean point at the power band. Every engine is slightly different and it is difficult to give exact comparisions-just pass along war stories.

I wish that Hybridz would do a comparison with engines and modifications as was done with the wind tunnel experiments. Starting with a baseline on a dyno and start tuning and adding on "bolt-ons" and read the results. I would throw some money at that as i did with the wind tunnel tests-it would interesting!!

I wish that Hybridz would do a comparison with engines and modifications as was done with the wind tunnel experiments. Starting with a baseline on a dyno and start tuning and adding on "bolt-ons" and read the results. I would throw some money at that as i did with the wind tunnel tests-it would interesting!!

I got everything to do that(again), but it wouldn't be the same as the wind-tunnel as you would have to restrict yourself to doing it on the same engine or car meaning breaks in time to do the changes. Renting a dyno for a day is easy enough, and not that bad if you can do it during 'off-peak' times, but effectively changing an induction system quickly... and then optimizing it.

Probably the best way to do it would be to run and tune each setup separately over a period of a couple of weeks/months, and then shelve the components in prep for a 'back to back test' which could then be done over the course of one or two days. Technically the results should be the same but reaccomplishing the tests back-to-back on the same dyno, on the same day would dispel the 'dyno drift' argument that would inevitably creep up over testing individual components separately at different times of the year, etc.

But I do have all the components, and more than enough 'spare cars' with L24's L26's and L28's in them. Three chassis ready to prep one with each engine. And I know an amicable dyno operator. Now to get some magazine to accept the article...

And get the time to do it... :P

Lets compare southern california in april to where I currently am working: Southern Thailand in April.

32C is 32C right? Unless one is 20% Relative Humidity, and another is 2-4C hotter, as well as 90% Relative Humidity...

There's "Hot" and there's "HOT"...

Frankly, handling Mexicali at 50C+ in July and August is easier on me than Thailand at 40C any time of the year. :(

Lets compare southern california in april to where I currently am working: Southern Thailand in April.

32C is 32C right? Unless one is 20% Relative Humidity, and another is 2-4C hotter, as well as 90% Relative Humidity...

There's "Hot" and there's "HOT"...

Frankly, handling Mexicali at 50C+ in July and August is easier on me than Thailand at 40C any time of the year. :(

Oh man, you must be having some AWESOME food out there!!!!

Just finished breakfast matter of fact... now to ruminate over my day's-banning due to simple Necrophilic References.

Some people just don't get black humor. No matter how mean-spirited the intent!

I mean, if I WANT to be mean, I CAN be mean. Give them an example and they just get all out-of-shape! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the "best bang for your buck", the first thing i did to my L24 was toss the down draft webers and put on some round tops. The SUs had a much better throttle response and made the car feel more lively. Later i swapped in a 5-speed, a 4.11 rear end, and a set of tripples i picked up for fairly cheap. I know i'm not cranking out more HP but the car so much more snappy.

so that's what i did. all straightforward stuff.