#101 JoeK

JoeK

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

I'm working on this swap. New booster from a '78 280z. The pushrod appears to be too short. I the pic below, it is about right where I want it to be, about 12.5mm from the face of the aluminum spacer, but it is only threaded in 2 1/2 turns. I pulled the pushrod out of my old booster and it's the same length.

The pictures some people have posted in this thread that show the pushrod, they look different than both of mine. They seem to have 1/2" or more length in front of the nut. Suggestions?

Attached Files

1971 240Z - LS1 swap in progress. Just need to: get wheels, drop the car from the rotiserrie, install the motor and trans, rebuild my dash, put in a new interior plus a few more odds and ends (about $10k in incidentals). Should be on the road before my 5 year old heads off to college.

#102 JoeK

JoeK

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

As opposed to this pic, where the pushrod looks different than mine. This pic is from the first post in this thread. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  11.jpg   48.12KB   2 downloads

Edited by JoeK, 06 March 2016 - 12:46 AM.

1971 240Z - LS1 swap in progress. Just need to: get wheels, drop the car from the rotiserrie, install the motor and trans, rebuild my dash, put in a new interior plus a few more odds and ends (about $10k in incidentals). Should be on the road before my 5 year old heads off to college.

#103 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

I started prepping my new Wilwood master cylinder for installation and discovered this...

13537748_10154168744276405_3151475508254

13537587_10154168744471405_6437625129170

The mangled cone fitting by itself wouldn't have been a big deal. I could have swapped in the fitting from my 280ZX M/C. But there's no way I'm trusting the cone fitting to seal in the bore of the M/C with those gouges!

I don't have time for this!!!  :mad:

Nigel

"May the Forced Induction be with you"

http://www.motortopia.com/nigel/cars

www.ontariozcar.com

#104 Miles

Miles

Miles ahead!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1884 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Nigel

Looks like bad machining by Wilwood.

Wilwood seems to lack quality control. I bought  two 1 inch  Wilwood MCs that leaked internally right out of the box. The third Wilwood MC I bought was ok and has been on the car for five years.

I recall another member saying that the Wilwood 1 inch MC he bought had a problem with damaged output ports/cones/fittings.

Edited by Miles, 25 June 2016 - 01:19 PM.

“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends.”    -Joseph Campbell

#105 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Nigel

Wilwood seems to lack quality control. I bought  two 1 inch  Wilwood MCs that leaked internally right out of the box. The third Wilwood MC I bought was ok and has been on the car for five years.

I recall another member saying that the Wilwood 1 inch MC he bought had a problem with damage output ports/cones/fittings.

Before I posted, I read through the previous posts and I did find mention of those issues. Very frustrating, particularly with our small sample size. With only a month to go until Z-Con, I really don't have time for this. I'll be livid if the replacement has issues too.

Nigel

"May the Forced Induction be with you"

http://www.motortopia.com/nigel/cars

www.ontariozcar.com

#106 OldAndyAndTheSea

OldAndyAndTheSea

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationHenderson Harbor, NY

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

Nigel

Looks like bad machining by Wilwood.

I recall another member saying that the Wilwood 1 inch MC he bought had a problem with damaged output ports/cones/fittings.

My MC leaked out of the box too.

I'm on my second 1" master cylinder...I have yet to bleed it...I hope all checks out.

PM me for any composites related inquiries.

#107 Savage42

Savage42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

Looks like mine is leaking, too. Crazy that so many have that problem.

Gary Savage - http://www.Savage42.com

#108 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

Looks like mine is leaking, too. Crazy that so many have that problem.

Did you discover the leak by bench bleeding? I just got my Wilwood master yesterday and now I'm having second thoughts.

Thanks

Derek

EDIS Mounting kits are BACK IN stock!!!
http://datsunworks.com/page3/page4/

#109 Savage42

Savage42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

Unfortunately, I did not.  It took some driving and hammering the brakes to notice the small amount of fluid leaking from between the MC & booster.  I called Wilwood and am getting it sorted out with a new rebuild kit. 

#110 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:00 AM

Unfortunately, I did not.  It took some driving and hammering the brakes to notice the small amount of fluid leaking from between the MC & booster.  I called Wilwood and am getting it sorted out with a new rebuild kit. 

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll mount it up and hope for the best. 

I'm not sure "hope for the best" is a term that should be uttered in a brake forum:)

Derek

EDIS Mounting kits are BACK IN stock!!!
http://datsunworks.com/page3/page4/

#111 Savage42

Savage42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

The function and feel of my brakes is fine, just done like having the fluid messing up the paint in my engine compartment. Anyway, it wasn't enough for me to even notice, aside from being wet under the MC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users